Oil dipstick broke ......darn. Suggestions?

agidi

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CapTonka
Hello gurus of aviation.
Today we lost the dip stick. It broke right at the edge.

I'm attaching photos.
Should we try and weld this? Could I just get the broken part elsewhere, replace it and mark it?

All ideas comments suggestions and suppliers are welcomed.

Thanks have a nice weekend.

C182N continental 470

b411c66ec36f3fa7e9d60f1861ad0466.jpg
135b722f16534dfed0af94e01c9394fd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get a different one, salvage yards have them by Part Number. there should be a number on the stick.

Remember the different engine installations require a different Part Number

Get a different one, salvage yards have them by Part Number. there should be a number on the stick.

Remember the different engine installations require a different Part Number

Agreed.....

Interesting break.....

I could TIG it back together without any problem though...;)

Agreed.....

Interesting break.....

I could TIG it back together without any problem though...;)

Looks like it already had that done once. end of the lower portion looks heat treated to me.

Count your blessings. It could have broken while in the engine, dropping the broken part into the engine case. You might could get lucky and get it out without further disassembly, but it could have been a lot worse.

Scott

Looks like it already had that done once. end of the lower portion looks heat treated to me.

It looks PAST heat treated...

It looks like someone got it soooo hot it crystalized....

Probably an original part with FAA blessings....:mad2::mad2::confused:

There are no salvage yards around here, let me look around metal scrap and manufacture one. Thanks.

There are no salvage yards around here, let me look around metal scrap and manufacture one. Thanks.

Call White Industries or Dodson and have them ship one.

Never seen a dipstick break before.

Guess you could tig it if you can't find a cheap replacement.

I'd call Skywagon City or another popular salvager and have them send me one. Then I'd change oil and filter and add 8 qts and run the engine to circulate. Once the oil had a chance to settle I'd check the level and scribe a new 8 qt line. Then I'd add a qt and make a 9 line, repeat for 10, etc. My dipstick is factory original and the only markings that are accurate are my own.

Count your blessings. It could have broken while in the engine, dropping the broken part into the engine case. You might could get lucky and get it out without further disassembly, but it could have been a lot worse.

Scott

wow, that could have made for an interesting day. Could you fish it out with a magnet maybe?

It looks PAST heat treated...

It looks like someone got it soooo hot it crystalized....

Probably an original part with FAA blessings....:mad2::mad2::confused:

How would you heat just that little portion of it? the rest doesn't show that it was heated?

How would you heat just that little portion of it? the rest doesn't show that it was heated?

It was welded but never pickled. Dip sticks are Stainless aren't they? Weld it, don't pickle or clean the weld, and it becomes brittle there.

Back