Oil Analysis

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Is oil analysis really worth it? How much does it cost and whom do you use to do the testing? Do you just load some oil up in a little jar and send it to them?

Scott

Let'sgoflying! said:
This
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3713&highlight=analysis
thread discussed it.
The companies will send out a sample jar, collection instructions and submission form.

And when complete, they send a report telling you what compounds are in the oil. (what different metals) If you get them frequently, it gives an idea of how the engine is wearing. We did this on our left engine for every oil change. It had about 2400 hours on it. Still seemed OK, all the way to the ground.:(

smigaldi said:
That what got me asking the question. But that thread just touched upon a few of my question and is talking about a whole bunch of other stuff. Scott

Oh, ok - well then:

Is oil analysis really worth it?

Opinions vary widely, it is kind of like doing a PSA test for prostate disease every year... if it never finds anything and you die of cardiac disease you think, wow what a waste of money! But if it does find something then its the best 100$ you spent on your body. Then there is the issue of the test sensitivity..... how often does it miss the problem you are looking for, what is its predictive value - I don't think we have numbers for that. You can test an engine for metal (and get a normal result) and then 5 hours later "Squirt, squirt, squirt....BANG!"

How much does it cost and whom do you use to do the testing?

I think my last one was <$20. AOA and others are listed in that thread... Trade A Plane has ads for many of them.

Do you just load some oil up in a little jar and send it to them?

It comes with good instructions. You are supposed to use their jar, a mid-stream sample and be sure to follow all the proper packaging instructions, the USPS has new laws protecting employees from contact with hazardous chemicals (oil is a carcinogen) and the shipper has all the liability.

smigaldi said:
Is oil analysis really worth it?
Yes, but only if you do it every oil change and track the trends -- a one-shot analysis isn't worth much.

Do you just load some oil up in a little jar and send it to them?
Pretty much, along with a form identifying the engine, and some info to help them make the analysis more useful, like oil type, hours since last oil change, number of quarts added since last change, etc.

smigaldi said:
Is oil analysis really worth it? How much does it cost and whom do you use to do the testing? Do you just load some oil up in a little jar and send it to them?

Scott
Scott, they send you a prepaid mailer for about $20. It contains a teeny bottle and instructions....the report arrives the next week.

bbchien said:
Scott, they send you a prepaid mailer for about $20. It contains a teeny bottle and instructions....the report arrives the next week.

Something I've never figured out is what's the easiest way to take oil samples when draining the oil with a quick drain (&hose). You're supposed to catch the sample mid-drain and I've always assumed that the sample would be contaminated if it came through the hose. And I can't get the little bottle near the quick drain. The result of this for me is that I quit doing oil analysis even though I think it's a good idea.

As a recent plane purchaser, looking at a plane with a mid time engine, it was very important to me and my partner. There are many a mid time engines with issues.

My A-36 is on the market and every serious purchaser has wanted to see it. Not only is it diagnostic, it's another indicator of a caring owner.

BTW, I do one every other change. My lab has said as long as it's consistent, every other time is fine since I change near 25 hours and 50 is what is allowed on my plane. The lab takes that into account. If I was flying fewer hours a year, I'd lean toward every 3 months or not longer than 50 hours. Since we're flying over 200 per year, hours is what we go by.

Best,

Dave

lancefisher said:
Something I've never figured out is what's the easiest way to take oil samples when draining the oil with a quick drain (&hose). You're supposed to catch the sample mid-drain and I've always assumed that the sample would be contaminated if it came through the hose. And I can't get the little bottle near the quick drain. The result of this for me is that I quit doing oil analysis even though I think it's a good idea.

I figure most of any contaminate present in the hose will be washed out/diluted by the time I take the sample. My mechanics took from hose and I do the same. Be good to know if this is a valid assumption.

Back