O'Hare FUBAR Today!

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Well today I was supposed to leave for Japan. I almost made it to O'Hare IAP. But torrential rains flooded the only road into the airport. I thought I was lucky enough to be able to take the exit ramp up to a road that would at least get me to the O'Hare people mover from the long term parking area. But as we turned up the ramp we could see a flooded road and stuck BMW mini-cooper blocking the shallow part of the water.

To go to the left would have had me on grass and mud, to go to the right would put in deeper but what appeared passable water.

BTW I was driving my step-dad's '95 Buick Century.

I almost made it though before the car died.

I tried several times to restart but the starter motor would not even turn.

I got out into 8" deep water and with Karen's help pushed into shallower water. I then went and got the BMW guy who was now into water that was past his door. We pushed his car out of the water and then mine. Water was up almost to my knees.

Police had already closed one road at the top of the bridge and now they were closing the road into O'Hare and directing all traffic up the ramp that I was on even though it was flooded and the water was still rising.

We called for a tow and were told it would be a while.

Several more attempts to start were futile but the starter motor did start to turn so we thought there was hope. Finally Karen told me she would deal with it and that I should take a taxi to the people mover.

Even though many taxis and other cars were going by, no one would stop. It took a while before a taxi finally picked me up. I grabbed my luggage and got in. But by that time traffic on the road was so filled that it was bumper to bumper. 45 minutes later I had barely gone a mile, I could finally see the entrance that leads to the people mover but it was flooded and police were not letting people in. On the radio they were saying how no one could get into O'Hare and that they were evacuating the arrivals areas of the terminals for flooding.

I gave up. I paid the taxi and got out and walked back to the car which only took 10 minutes.

By the time I returned there were 6 cars now stalled and one stuck in the mud. Tow trucks showed up and helped everyone but us. So I started calling for more tows but no one could get us for 4-5 hours at the earliest.

That is when I decided to grab a tool and see what I could do. For some reason I looked at the oil and saw water in it. I removed the air filter which was soaking wet and the canister was filled with water. Ah hah! I thought I will remove the air filter and it will start. Well no luck, it did sound like it wanted to though!

So back out I went and removed the hose from the air filter canister to the throttle body. Water poured out of it. I then had Karen turn the car over and it sounded like it might go but to no avail. I then manually held the throttle body full open and had her crank. Lots of water came out with a back fire. I let thing sit thinking that it was completely hosed or it is about to work. Since holding the throttle body open flooded the engine with fuel I waited about 15 minutes before trying again.

That next attempt the car started!!! YEAH! but it was running rough and almost would die when going down to idle. Holding down the accelerator I kept the engine running hoping that whatever water was in there would get all pushed out and the engine would run better. Poor Karen had to go back out to get the loose air filter canister holder as I did not want to drive with that under the hood. The water around us had stabilized but I still wanted to get out of there so off we went. I figured anywhere but there was fine.

I kept the car in a low gear to keep the rpms up and also get the engine temp up to boil off the water. It took a while to get home as there was tons of flooding. But we made it. I put a new air filter in and then took the car over the oil change place and had them flush the engine housing and change the oil.

When the kid took the cap off to fill the oil he brought it to me to show that I 'had some moisture in the engine'! I laughed and told him 'no I flooded the engine with water earlier in the day'.

After the flush and oil change the car runs much better. I just hope I did not do too much damage to the engine. I am selling the car real soon and would hate to kill it.

As for my trip, I canceled the Japan flight and opted instead to go straight to Hong Kong next Saturday. The flight that I was on got canceled anyways. UAL kept delaying it, probably in hopes that the crew would get there and the flooding subside but they finally gave up to. Tomorrow it is supposed to be more of the same here and if I leave on Monday it is too late to actually get any work done in Japan by the time I would get there.

Meanwhile on the drive home we also heard on the news that terminal 2 was being evacuated for flooding down stairs and a fire in an elevator shaft.

A real lousy O'Hare Day!!

Karma for what that bastid, Daley, did to Meigs.

Too bad you got messed-up in it!

Karma for what that bastid, Daley, did to Meigs.

Too bad you got messed-up in it!
I am just so happy to be home.

The car (1 of 4 now) seems fine. I get to stay home an extra week and that is ok with me. My Japan trip was already ruined.

Normally the standards meetings I attend are Monday through Thursday. I had planned to get to Kobe late Sunday and head into work on Monday. Then on Friday and Saturday go to Hiroshima and do touristy things.

But the sponsor of this meeting changed the schedule due to a Japanese holiday this weekend. I dod not find out until a couple of weeks ago that our meeting was Tuesday through Friday. I am also flying to Hong Kong on Sunday so all I would have was Saturday off. There is not enough time to get from Kobe to Hiroshima and then back to Osaka for the Hong Kong flight. So I very likely would have spent Saturday catching up on required reading for the follwoing week's meeting.

KMKE.

I'm glad you got it going. I've heard Click and Clack say that water in the cylinders can do a lot of permanent damage, with a steam lock or something.

It really sucks when you have to scramble like that to get the car moving again.

KMKE.

I'm glad you got it going. I've heard Click and Clack say that water in the cylinders can do a lot of permanent damage, with a steam lock or something.

It really sucks when you have to scramble like that to get the car moving again.
KMKE to Tokyo will first get you on a flight that goes to ORD!

I would imagine that most of the damage would come from large amounts of water getting in there. Since water is not compressible it would be possible to really force a connecting rod into some new shapes. But I think I just got enough water in there to stop combustion by chocking the engine. Since everything is working I was more worried about corrosion. But I did drive for an hour and got the engine pretty hot. I will most likely change the oil very soon again

Could have been worse.... could have been IAH....

Wow, what a messed up day!

If the engine was going to break from the water ingestion, it probably would have by now.

But, I'd be sure to have the transmission serviced, including draining and refilling the torque converter. Water is a bad thing for automatic transmissions. I'd get the wheel bearings repacked too, some GM cars have non-servicable hubs, but it's worth looking at.

Trapper John

Scott, how long are you scheduled to be in Hong Kong? I am scheduled to be there with some free time Tuesday PM and Thursday AM.

-Skip

What was William doing in Chicago?

:)

I'm glad ya got out of there. At least you weren't forced to leave the car behind like some cities would do.

...I'm glad ya got out of there. At least you weren't forced to leave the car behind like some cities would do.

In car-hostile CHICAGO? The city tow truck driver would strip the car - by default *any* contents are g-o-n - and then when you pick it up you deal with a guy with no neck and lotsa tatooos telling you that you owe the $500 towing fee + $75 a day storage + $75 handling charge - cash only.

The car will have dents on every panel where the lunatic truck driver found stuff to bang it into, but you won't notice that because it had been stripped to the frame. They'll tell you it was that way when they towed it. No? Those dern kids who get into the POLICE tow lot....

Only in Scott's case since he was traveling, by the time he got back they would have auctioned the car to the towing contractor for the fees due, and they would have gotten full title for $110.

Think I'm making this up?

Dun Mare wants to make it so you can towed after booting if you're LEGALLY parked and have 2 parking tickets (now it's 3): http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/1151665,CST-NWS-boot09web.article

Scott, how long are you scheduled to be in Hong Kong? I am scheduled to be there with some free time Tuesday PM and Thursday AM.

-Skip
About an hour or two. I am just passing through Hong Kong on my way to Macau. I will be taking the Jet Boat from the airport next Sunday and then I head home on Wednesday.

I know you aren't We were gathering up all the things we did not want them to get if the Chicago guys showed up to tow. I did finally get a towing company out where I live agree to come out and get us. I can trust that company.

Newest airliner at O'Hare:

Sprucegoose.jpg

yea on chi center this morning there was chatter about the airport being flooded and ohare actually possibly shutting down everything. must've been interesting.

Why didn't you just take the train?
Lou

Why didn't you just take the train?
Lou
The train was flooded out as well. And by train I think you mean the blue line. The people mover I am talking about is the light rail system that runs from the long term parking lot to the terminals, and as you read I could not get there. All entrances to the airport were flooded. The last time something like this happened at O'Hare was soon after I moved to Illinois and the airport was actually closed for two days due to flooding. O'Hare it turns out is very close to the some of the lowest land around Chicago and is very prone to flooding.

Some pics of the flooding at KORD. They say it was the most rain Chicago has gotten in one day since records started being kept.

attachment.php

Composite of the ramp around terminal 1

attachment.php

Terminal one ramp flooded. ORD had to shut down vehicle and aircraft movement for a long time on the airport grounds as well as having to deal with flooded roads into the airport

attachment.php

The underpass on the road into the airport. This was what resulted in I90 closing and me having to turn and get stuck in yet another flooded area.

attachment.php

This is a bus at KORD. The water was so high it was coming into the bus from the doors. This was taken near the long term parking lot and was why that entrance was closed down.

Attachments

• ord-flood.jpg
    ord-flood.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 156
  • ord-flood2.jpg
    ord-flood2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 156
  • ord-flood3.jpg
    ord-flood3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 156
  • ord-flood4.jpg
    ord-flood4.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 154
Hey I thought "Deep Tunnel" was supposed to cure all that....

I did make it to Macomb and back (snigger) down the LOC and back to the VOR at 3MY twice yesterday. It is wet. VERY VERY wet. And Ike is now about up to STL.

I did make it to Macomb and back (snigger) down the LOC and back to the VOR at 3MY twice yesterday. It is wet. VERY VERY wet. And Ike is now about up to STL.

bruce did the lady running chicago center tell you hello? i thought that i heard your number coming off macomb and told her to pass on greetings.

The Deep Tunnel cured the problem at the time of not having huge contracts to award to friends. Now we have the O'Hare expansion and Peotone to help that cause.

They opened the locks to let raw sewage into the lake because the deep tunnel is full.

Yeah. It looks like the rain is never gonna end. Hannah and Ike combined with the low pressure front to make an endless line of rain from way south to Illinois and east to Michigan.

(Fingers crossed) My sump is doing fine. I just fed the lawn ahead of the rain, figuring it would get watered in nicely. Now I wonder if it's all getting washed away. :dunno:

Well, you may get to see what kind of mayor Daly really is in the aftermath of this. See if he's worth anything at all.

i thought that question had already been answered

Well, you may get to see what kind of mayor Daly really is in the aftermath of this. See if he's worth anything at all.

The comments there are saying the city workers are busting their tails.

But if he gets any grief Duh Mare will go to his emergency management plan: get his Irish up, scream dat he can't blamed for duh weather and then find somebody to fire over it.

In car-hostile CHICAGO? The city tow truck driver would strip the car - by default *any* contents are g-o-n - and then when you pick it up you deal with a guy with no neck and lotsa tatooos telling you that you owe the $500 towing fee + $75 a day storage + $75 handling charge - cash only.

The car will have dents on every panel where the lunatic truck driver found stuff to bang it into, but you won't notice that because it had been stripped to the frame. They'll tell you it was that way when they towed it. No? Those dern kids who get into the POLICE tow lot....

Only in Scott's case since he was traveling, by the time he got back they would have auctioned the car to the towing contractor for the fees due, and they would have gotten full title for $110.

Dun Mare wants to make it so you can towed after booting if you're LEGALLY parked and have 2 parking tickets (now it's 3): http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/1151665,CST-NWS-boot09web.article

"I'M MAD AS H* AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE!"
A City of Chicago worker was shot and wounded today while placing a Denver boot on a vehicle on the South Side, police said.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-worker-shot-denver-boot,0,917773.story

I laughed this morning when they got Cook County Board President Todd Stroger on TV saying he was going to declare parts of the county a disaster area.

Q- "What does that mean?"
-" It means we're asking the state and the federal government to declare these areas a disaster area.

Well, thanks Toddster, for the great service to your citizens.

I figured we'd next hear from Gov. Balgo on his new bold initiative in a long line promising $Ms in aid to come from the citizens, the businesses, the cities, anywhere but the state.

DES PLAINES, Ill. - Governor Rod Blagojevich has declared seven Illinois counties state disaster areas.

The governor's office says the state disaster declaration means more state assets and personnel will be available to flooded communities. So far, the state has already provided 130,000 sandbags, along with several water pumps and boats to help with evacuations.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-severeweather-dis,0,4114064.story

Well, OK, then.

He couldda stopped at Costco to pick that stuff up. :D

Parts of Northwest Indiana got more than 11 inches of rain. O'Hare got nearly 10, we got 6.27. :hairraise:

I have been meaning to post these for a couple of weeks. They are pictures of what the ramp looked like during September's flood of Chicago that a friend sent me.

Attachments

• ORDFLOOD007.jpg
    ORDFLOOD007.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 23
  • ORDFLOOD008.jpg
    ORDFLOOD008.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 18
  • ORDFLOOD012.jpg
    ORDFLOOD012.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 8
  • ORDFLOOD015.jpg
    ORDFLOOD015.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 8
  • ORDFLOOD022.jpg
    ORDFLOOD022.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 14
  • ORDFLOOD027.jpg
    ORDFLOOD027.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 12
  • ORDFLOOD024.jpg
    ORDFLOOD024.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 5
  • ORDFLOOD018.jpg
    ORDFLOOD018.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 9
  • ORDFLOOD028.jpg
    ORDFLOOD028.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 5
  • ORDFLOOD029.jpg
    ORDFLOOD029.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 13
  • ORDFLOOD030.jpg
    ORDFLOOD030.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 11
  • ORDFLOOD031.jpg
    ORDFLOOD031.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 18
  • ORDFLOOD034.jpg
    ORDFLOOD034.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 5
  • ORDFLOOD036.jpg
    ORDFLOOD036.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3
  • ORDFLOOD037.jpg
    ORDFLOOD037.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 7
  • ORDFLOOD038.jpg
    ORDFLOOD038.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 5
  • ORDFLOOD040.jpg
    ORDFLOOD040.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 14
  • ORDFLOOD041.jpg
    ORDFLOOD041.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 15
I have been meaning to post these for a couple of weeks. They are pictures of what the ramp looked like during September's flood of Chicago that a friend sent me.

Great pics! How did your waterlogged car turn out?

Trapper John

Wow, great pics. Just hope the FAA doesn't see them, or they'll be asking those pilots whether they have AMES on their certificates! :)

Back