Oh my blood filled head...or...

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
...Dad now wants to get his private certificate. He will probably want to use my plane to train in because I'll only charge him the fuel and insurance difference. But he's already talking about having his own plane. And as he said "There's no use in having two similar planes. No need to have 2 180's, or anything that's even really similar to yours."

So, that leaves use with 2 options, a long haul cruiser, which is out, because he wants to take it into the 1700' grass strip as well. Which really leave only one option. A "fun" plane. We're both thinking a Pitts, or Extra, or something we can go upside down in. He asked about a Citabria, to which I said there's no way I can be involved with one of those or Diana will *NEVER* let me live that down. :D So, the family grows...

I'm really thinking a bi-plane would just be wicked awesome.

Last edited:
N2212R said:

If that's the case... can I have a ride in whatever it is?

And if you decided on a citabra, you can't start looking till after I've found mine!

Missa

Missa said:
If that's the case... can I have a ride in whatever it is?

And if you decided on a citabra, you can't start looking till after I've found mine!

Missa

You won't catch me in a high wing taildragger! Bi-wing, yes. Low wing, yes. High wing. Nope!

N2212R said:
You won't catch me in a high wing taildragger! Bi-wing, yes. Low wing, yes. High wing. Nope!

You forgot the most important question.... CAN I HAVE A RIDE? (I so want a ride in a open cockpit bi-plane)

Missa

N2212R said:
Yeah, that's what I always told myself, too. Then I flew 15 hours in a Citabria and was hooked. I tried to find something comparable in a low wing for the same money, but it ain't there.

While the acro biplane sounds like a lot of fun, don't rule out a "hauler". A 35 series Bonanza can work on a 1700 ft runway just fine.

lancefisher said:
While the acro biplane sounds like a lot of fun, don't rule out a "hauler". A 35 series Bonanza can work on a 1700 ft runway just fine.

True! Or a 206?? :) Throw on the STOL kit!

no high wing tailwheels?

..you are really missing out.

But....

If you get a Pitts

Or an extra.

I'll be there in a few hours. :)

lancefisher said:

Except 80% of the trips for my dad will be from 9D9 -> 6Y9. We're reopening it in the spring. And if we did decide to go lwith a long hauler, the 180 would go away.

N2212R said:
Except 80% of the trips for my dad will be from 9D9 -> 6Y9. We're reopening it in the spring. And if we did decide to go lwith a long hauler, the 180 would go away.

I'm not so sure I'd take an extra or pitts on a 1700' grass runway. If your dad wants to get a plane and work on his pp and IR the last kind of plane he wants is an extra (I've been told they are a handfull for inexperienced pilots). I think a 206 or 182 would be perfect for the short trip between 9d9 and 6y9.

If I was making the trip this is the plane I would look at a cub, scout etc.

Chris

N2212R said:
...Dad now wants to get his private license. He will probably want to use my plane to train in because I'll only charge him the fuel and insurance difference. But he's already talking about having his own plane. And as he said "There's no use in having two similar planes. No need to have 2 180's, or anything that's even really similar to yours."

So, that leaves use with 2 options, a long haul cruiser, which is out, because he wants to take it into the 1700' grass strip as well. Which really leave only one option. A "fun" plane. We're both thinking a Pitts, or Extra, or something we can go upside down in. He asked about a Citabria, to which I said there's no way I can be involved with one of those or Diana will *NEVER* let me live that down. :D So, the family grows...

Consider building?

Henning said:
Consider building?

MMmmm, Vans RV-8. I stopped by Sunday and visited a guy who was building his Harmon Rocket II. He already has an RV-3, some Rutan Ez variant, and an RV-9 built in his hangar. Serious homebuilder.

Back