Oh, Kimberly - Missing a Lens?

Re: Oh, Kimberley - Missing a Lens?

It's either Kim, or we're gonna get blurry photos from the Hubble again.

Extra points for getting a mention in the story that it could have hit a nearby elementary school. :eek:

The comments, as always, are entertaining!

Extra points for getting a mention in the story that it could have hit a nearby elementary school. :eek:

Thousands of cars, and trucks in near head on collisions daily! Film at 11. :rolleyes:

Yes, double bonus for calling up the image of small children getting killed. And it's not even "could have killed someone", it's "would have killed someone".

Hmm, tough to tell what kind of lens it is for certain, but it looks like it could be a Canon EF 28-135IS or EF-S 17-85IS. I was going to guess 24-105L at first just going by the exit optics but I don't see a red "L" anywhere on the front of the lens...

There's a lot of dumb in Michigan.

And fat. Don't forget that. Probably more fat than dumb.

But we are smart enough to not pay $4,500 for a small roof repair.

Hmm, tough to tell what kind of lens it is for certain, but it looks like it could be a Canon EF 28-135IS or EF-S 17-85IS. I was going to guess 24-105L at first just going by the exit optics but I don't see a red "L" anywhere on the front of the lens...
According to http://www.petapixel.com/2011/09/15...falls-from-sky-and-tears-gaping-hole-in-roof/ (linked in one of the other threads on this subject), it's a Canon 24-105mm 1:4 L. In the picture at that link, the red L is clearly visible.

In a related story, the Japanese electronics manufacturer Canon has suspended two marketing executives and cancelled its "How Tough is Your Lens?" Facebook promotion. Sky Fawling, a spokesman for Canon, refused to confirm or deny if the suspended executives were flying their jointly-owned San Francisco based Cessna 172. Although Mr. Fawling did say it was unlikely the executives were flying at the time since the plane is missing a window and therefore was most likely not airworthy.

By the way everyone at my flight school told me about this over the past weekend. Apparently, the person whose roof was damaged wanted to figure out if it was one of their rental planes.

Kimberly

And fat. Don't forget that. Probably more fat than dumb.

But we are smart enough to not pay $4,500 for a small roof repair.
Apparently there is also some window damage. Even so, I could replace the entire dual pane window and make roof repair for less than 5 bills. $90 in material for the roof, the balance for window and trim, caulk and paint.

I wonder who was the source of the $5K figure. I wonder if the window was already damaged and this property owner figured their ship just came in. Yes, ins fraud is what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Apparently there is also some window damage. Even so, I could replace the entire dual pane window and make roof repair for less than 5 bills. $90 in material for the roof, the balance for window and trim, caulk and paint.

I wonder who was the source of the $5K figure. I wonder if the window was already damaged and this property owner figured their ship just came in. Yes, ins fraud is what I'm talking about.

I know of roofing companies that have a $500 - $1,000 minimum depending on equipment (hot tar).

Roofing is expensive.

Hmmm...

Petaluma? Check.

Photographer? Check.

Rep for occasional lapses in concentration? Check.

Kim: Are you lens shopping today?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...falls-from-sky-through-roof-of-petaluma-home/
This just in, Petaluma has instituted an emergency provision requiring camera lens buyers to show ID. This information will then be cross referenced to FAA records. Those persons identified can expect all their friends and coworkers to be questioned by law enforcement.

I suspect someone out there is thinking of dumping the body (les-less camera body.)

Oh and so the story is (well the rumor is) that someone had a passenger, who leaned out of a window from a plane to take a photo. The lens wasn't screwed on all the way and it fell off.

Oh and so the story is (well the rumor is) that someone had a passenger, who leaned out of a window from a plane to take a photo. The lens wasn't screwed on all the way and it fell off.
More evidence...someone inexperienced enough to not know how to secure a bayonet base lens. Say, a student or recently certificated photog???

But anything stupid found in any other state is AMPLIFIED x1000 when found in the state of CA.

Fortunately that doesn't seem to have stopped some very smart people from founding a hugely thriving high tech industry here.

By the way everyone at my flight school told me about this over the past weekend. Apparently, the person whose roof was damaged wanted to figure out if it was one of their rental planes.

Kimberly

It's funny how ground bound people seem to think the nearest airport is necessarily more likely to be the source of a dropped item, as if small planes were limited to only flying in the immediate neighborhood! :rofl:

(Only yesterday I flew all the way up to Angwin, and it took me less than an hour. Who knew that small planes could actually GO places?)

Last edited:
Well I am going out from STS and will do a "high cover" recon run from STS to o69 via Uki . will keep my eye out for those little airplains dropping stuff on the poor ground bound folk.

:rofl: :nono:

It's funny how ground bound people seem to think the nearest airport is necessarily more likely to be the source of a dropped item, as if small planes were limited to only flying in the immediate neighborhood! :rofl:

(Only yesterday I flew all the way up to Angwin, and it took me less than an hour. Who knew that small planes could actually GO places?)

You went to Angwin? That was the one and only airport my instructor diverted me to that I could not find. I got lost. But eventually he showed me how to get un-lost and we landed. I didn't know why he said "my airplane" until I realized he was going to back-taxi and make announcements.

You went to Angwin? That was the one and only airport my instructor diverted me to that I could not find. I got lost. But eventually he showed me how to get un-lost and we landed. I didn't know why he said "my airplane" until I realized he was going to back-taxi and make announcements.

Yeah, the campus there is very pretty, and I wanted a place to go for a walk. The paths are sure steep though!

I forgot to bring my GPS, so I had to revert to (horrors!) VOR cross-radials.

Yeah, the campus there is very pretty, and I wanted a place to go for a walk. The paths are sure steep though!

I forgot to bring my GPS, so I had to revert to (horrors!) VOR cross-radials.

I had to use my eyes. Didn't work out so well for me. I was so dumb and did not think to try VOR.

Kimberly

I had to use my eyes. Didn't work out so well for me. I was so dumb and did not think to try VOR.

Kimberly

I probably could have done it by pilotage if I had to. I should make a flight entirely by pilotage sometime just to refresh my skills. Of course it would have to be outside the area where I normally fly to really be a good exercise.

Back