Greg Kainz
from Colorado Pilot's Association email:
-----------------------------------------------------------
FYI to all pilots who fly into Boulder Municipal Airport. A new
skydiving operation has begun operations at Boulder. You can see a
picture that depicts the possible landing zones at
http://soarboulder.org/ssb_dropzone.htm

Note that the landing sites are just to the West of the recommended 45
degree entry route for the downwind for Runway 8.
http://www.ci.boulder.co.us/airport/noise_abatement.htm

Also, jumpers could potentially come down anywhere, so the best course
of action is to keep your eyes outside the airplane and to monitor the
Boulder CTAF 122.7 when operating in the area!

David O'Rourke

gkainz said:
from Colorado Pilot's Association email:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Also, jumpers could potentially come down anywhere, so the best course
of action is to keep your eyes outside the airplane and to monitor the
Boulder CTAF 122.7 when operating in the area!

That's what the .30 cals are for on the Tiger. :)

They should consider placing the skydiving on one side of the pattern and all the flying on the other... I'm assuming its a single rwy airport... works here.

There is a big sky dive operation at Longmont (2v3) just 8NM north. They use a Caravan and a King Air. They land in the middle of the field, inside the standard left patterns for 11/27.

Too much city around the Boulder airport for a safe LZ. I'm surprized they are starting up there with Longmont so close. Boulder also has a glider op with two tow planes.

I'm pretty surprised to hear this, too. Pretty much everything happens north of the runways and south of Jay Rd and Hwy 157, which makes the pattern a little tight. (Dave, 2 parallel runways, one paved, one grass). All the glider ops use the north grass runway, with glider patterns inside the powered pattern.

Here's a google photo of the area

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=....036618,-105.226622&spn=0.035355,0.064287&t=h

At least maybe all the parachuters dropping in from all over will distract the loud, chronic complainers of airplane noise that call 5-10 times per day, every day.

Anthony, I thought it was somewhat unethical to use guns on skydivers? Or is that just once they've deployed the chute? Freefallers are fair game!

Let'sgoflying! said:
They should consider placing the skydiving on one side of the pattern and all the flying on the other... I'm assuming its a single rwy airport... works here.

A difficult airport pattern, based on noise limitations. Read the noise/pattern rules on their website sometime. Looks like the friggin' ADIZ Notam... And they are serious about it. I've flown out of there with three different CFIs, and each of them went through the stuff, and explained that the locals are somewhat difficult on noise issues. Never mind that all the development grew up around the existant airport. yada yada. Nothing new there, of course.

I've been there when the glider operations were in full swing. They need skydivers like a fish needs a bicycle.

Jim G

I'm surprised every year Boulder Muni survives. With BJC 9 south and 2V2 8 north and Boulder being Boulder it is a miracle. It might just be the soaring. Pretty strong local club.

ejensen said:
I'm surprised every year Boulder Muni survives. With BJC 9 south and 2V2 8 north and Boulder being Boulder it is a miracle. It might just be the soaring. Pretty strong local club.
and 48V 11 east ... :)

I agree, tho - People's Republik of Boulder is pretty up-in-arms, er, disarmed arms, er ... whatever ... about airplane noise. I wouldn't even be surprised to find an "Evil Contrails - Government Plot" chapter or two in town. The FBOs and Glider clubs know the complainers numbers by caller id and take bets on which tail numbers are going to be complained about before even picking up the phone. Dakota Ridge packed it up last year and gave up - I haven't stopped in to see how anyone else is doing there in a while. Even with all that said, it is a fairly active little airport.

Edit: just found the 2005 noise reports here
http://www.ci.boulder.co.us/airport/2005_stats_allquarters.pdf
to prove I'm not exaggerating (well, maybe just a little...) averages are nearly 100 reports per quarter by a little over 12 households per quarter ...

Last edited:
gkainz said:

Edit: just found the 2005 noise reports here
http://www.ci.boulder.co.us/airport/2005_stats_allquarters.pdf
to prove I'm not exaggerating (well, maybe just a little...) averages are nearly 100 reports per quarter by a little over 12 households per quarter ...

Sorry I spaced out Erie. Another nice airport.

Talking to an ATC friend this weekend, Boulder folks have even made noise complaints on DEN.

gkainz said:
Anthony, I thought it was somewhat unethical to use guns on skydivers? Or is that just once they've deployed the chute? Freefallers are fair game!

Ahh, Greg, they're from Boulder......

:D

ejensen said:
There is a big sky dive operation at Longmont (2v3) just 8NM north. They use a Caravan and a King Air. They land in the middle of the field, inside the standard left patterns for 11/27.

Too much city around the Boulder airport for a safe LZ. I'm surprized they are starting up there with Longmont so close. Boulder also has a glider op with two tow planes.

Before they were at Longmont they were at FNL. Divers, trainers, and airline traffic... it was an interesting place to learn to fly.

tom. said:
Before they were at Longmont they were at FNL.
And there was a midair between a commuter airline and a jump plane back in the early 80s there.

tom. said:
Before they were at Longmont they were at FNL. Divers, trainers, and airline traffic... it was an interesting place to learn to fly.

It still is. I expect to be based there soon. Fort Collins Downtown (3V5) is most likely on the way out. Waiting for a hangar at FNL.

ejensen said:
It still is. I expect to be based there soon. Fort Collins Downtown (3V5) is most likely on the way out. Waiting for a hangar at FNL.

What's going on with 3V5? (And did they ever finish Timberline?)

ejensen said:

I'm glad I have it in my logbook right now. I suspect that having 3V5 in my logbook from 2006 will put me in with the last group of people to have it (I hear it will be gone by years end). Its a shame. Too bad some entrepreneur there can't buy it and revive it.

gkainz said:

Dakota Ridge packed it up last year and gave up - I haven't stopped in to see how anyone else is doing there in a while. Even with all that said, it is a fairly active little airport.

I was sorry to see them go. I did some mountain training with Dakota Ridge in 2004. It was buchu fun, and we were looking forward to going with them in 2005. Unfortunately, they were no more by that time. Fortunately, as of 4/05, the FBO was still flourishing and we had fun in their DA40 and turbo Arrow. Their website shows they have acquired a G1000 'Hawk recently. Hopefully, they will soldier on.

Now that the In-laws have moved out here, we will probably not see Boulder Muni again soon.

Jim G

tom. said:
What's going on with 3V5? (And did they ever finish Timberline?)

Majority owner supposedly contracted for sale but there are questions and lawsuits. City annexed. Developer with contract is looking for investors and trying to get a plan approved. One shareholders announce the airport would close by year end but others didn't know in advance. Pretty sad but it looks worse every day. I think it could survive but with all the bad feelings I don't think the pro airport folks will get a chance. It hasn't been managed well the last few years. Bob Gates is gone already.

Yes, Timberline extension finished a couple years ago.

Back