Office Visitor

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Had this visitor outside our office door this morning.

moth.jpg

Ya gotta admit............. Mother nature is pretty friggin kool..:yes::)..

ps... GREAT close up pic too...:thumbsup:

The cool thing is that if you step hard enough, you can see powder fly.

Nice shot.

I like photographing the various critters around me, too.

-Rich

Just think: that brilliant paint job was programmed into the DNA long time ago.

Random accident?

He didn't invent it, he just figured out parts of how it works. But thanks for playing. :)

He didn't invent it, he just figured out parts of how it works. But thanks for playing. :)

Well, I'd love to see the PROOF that someone invented it. You know, scientific, falsifiable proof.

You know, scientific, falsifiable proof
You want falsifiable proof? Sorry, I don't make a habit of falsifying things. :)

Some people think the mechanism by which these things happen is by design; some think it's just some random statistical quirk. There's no actual conclusive proof of either theory (though fans of either will claim otherwise), so which stance you choose to adopt is up to you. But you know that as well as I. :)

You want falsifiable proof? Sorry, I don't make a habit of falsifying things. :)

Some people think the mechanism by which these things happen is by design; some think it's just some random statistical quirk. There's no actual conclusive proof of either theory (though fans of either will claim otherwise), so which stance you choose to adopt is up to you. But you know that as well as I. :)

One stance does have more evidence showing it to be more likely than the other for what actually happened. PS - it wasn't the one that was written by a guy that was homeless for 40 years. ;)

Beautiful Cecropia!

(I keep confusing them with Polyphemus, but this is definitely a Cecropia.)

Millions of years of natural selection.

May be true but, other moth populations have changed from white to dark wings in just a few years, in a survival response to changing background colors with which it was advantageous for them to blend in.

Beautiful Cecropia!

(I keep confusing them with Polyphemus, but this is definitely a Cecropia.)

That is the conclusion I came to, and based on the antennae, I believe it to be a male.

Do you have a picture with a little more detail, perhaps larger image? LOL

Cool moth!

Do you have a picture with a little more detail, perhaps larger image? LOL

Cool moth!

Yes. I took mine with a measly 5MP camera, someone else snapped one with an 8MP.

May be true but, other moth populations have changed from white to dark wings in just a few years, in a survival response to changing background colors with which it was advantageous for them to blend in.

Such rapid changes may be due to epigenetic inheritance rather than actual changes to the inherited DNA nucleotide sequences. One example of epigenetic changes is methylation (a methyl group (CH3) attaching itself to the A or C nucleotides) of portions of the DNA sequence that don't get completely "reset" in reproductive cells when they should, thus possibly passing an environmentally triggered change in the parent's gene expressions to the child. At least that is the cliff notes version as I understand it. I believe it is a hot area of research.

Such rapid changes may be due to epigenetic inheritance rather than actual changes to the inherited DNA nucleotide sequences. One example of epigenetic changes is methylation (a methyl group (CH3) attaching itself to the A or C nucleotides) of portions of the DNA sequence that don't get completely "reset" in reproductive cells when they should, thus possibly passing an environmentally triggered change in the parent's gene expressions to the child. At least that is the cliff notes version as I understand it. I believe it is a hot area of research.

Hmm.

That evolution theory is looking pretty strong.... And creation theory has just about been wiped out.........

Flame suit on...;)

Last edited:

You have it all wrong. Ganglean Theory clearly states that the perameters for carcation mutations must be bernillified before said delorification can occur. That said, the prodigious postifications you expound upon could be concievable provided that the prolific postpartem postifications which you purport to be possible pass the proper and punctillious scrutiny in the scientific community. Bernillification simply cannot take place in the binary canamofluous environments, and therefore, sir, your statement here is false. ;)

You have it all wrong. Ganglean Theory clearly states that the perameters for carcation mutations must be bernillified before said delorification can occur. That said, the prodigious postifications you expound upon could be concievable provided that the prolific postpartem postifications which you purport to be possible pass the proper and punctillious scrutiny in the scientific community. Bernillification simply cannot take place in the binary canamofluous environments, and therefore, sir, your statement here is false. ;)
Aha! I see you have been studying the monotillation of traxolene... ;)

D'oh! That is all so clear and obvious. How foolish of me not to realize that! Thanks for pointing that out.

(Article on Cambridge University web site on the basic concept of epigenetic inheritance: http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/scientists-discover-how-epigenetic-information-could-be-inherited)

Hmm.

That evolution theory is looking pretty strong.... And creation theory has just about been wiped out.........

Flame suit on...;)

It was very wise, indeed, that The Almighty imbued His (or Her, I ain't picky) creations with the ability to adapt, to change, as conditions dictated, so He (or She, still cool with that) could sit back with a cold one, and just watch. :D

This girl showed up at the house this morning if your guy needs a girlfriend.... I measured her wing span at 6.5". Was reading about these things, kinda cool I guess, they ONLY breed, don't eat or drink and only last a couple of weeks. Sounds like my college roommate.

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 43
Back