Offering up additional info to the FAA--wise or not?

06Vanden Plas

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
06Vanden Plas
I've been asked by OKC to send them additional records on an outpatient alcohol rehab stint I did 12 years ago. I have gathered all records from the rehab joint (turns out first time they only gave me partial records), and I'm ready to send them off. The FAA already has a letter from my case manager, and my response will include a letter from the clinic director that the extra records included are all they have. And it will also say I'm a fine fellow and ought to be flying.

My questions are related to issues raised to the FAA in my initial application, but for which no additional information was sought in their recent letter to me about rehab records.

1: In my application, I noted that I used Sonata as a sleep aid and, having learned from Dr. Chien online just before sending in my application that there are #/time period dosing restrictions, informed the FAA that I was abiding by those restrictions. Question: I've totally cut out the drug, use melatonin instead, and have so informed my physician by letter. The FAA letter back to me about the rehab records did not touch this subject. Is it wise to volunteer this information in my return correspondence regarding the rehab records.

2: A similar question re a cardiac echogram (unremarkable), for which I received the results after sending in my initial application in October. Backstory: Ablation eliminated atrial fibrillation. FAA has all records re that, along with supporting letter from cardiologist.

Thanks for informed guidance.

Too much information is never a good thing when dealing with the government..... unless asking for a friend..

sent only what is asked for!
If after the ablation you have sent a 90 day after Holter monitor or Ziopatch, and a Cardiologist's post 90 day assessment, and the echo does not show something grounding (like an ejection fraction of 39%), since the Echo occurred after your application that is report at next medical. If it's got something like that on it you probably shouldn't be flying anyhow. :( I know you said it's "normal" but that hides many sins.

As for the full rehab record, if the Crown has demanded that, you must provide that. Ther eis a good probability, that you should expect a certified demand letter for a urine ETG (alcohol metabolic products) within 24 hours of signature for the certified. I don't know enough about your diagnosis of alcohol dependence, treatment and followup to say for certain. Just be prepared.

Thanks to all, in particular Dr. Chien for his observations. I'll hold the echo results until the next physical ("Conclusions: 1: systolic function is normal 2: visually estimated ejection fraction 60%" ...every heart anatomy area described as not dilated, valves normal with only mild mitral regurgitation within described norms, aortic root normal in size, no effusion, no evidence of mass or thrombus, no interatrial shunting.) FAA already has ablation procedure notes and unremarkable holter results.

I have zero concern about being asked to test for alcohol, having been sober 11 years and 9 months, but who's counting.

Because the FAA has not asked about Sonata use, I'll hold that issue -- having ceased use of the drug -- until either seeking a post-rejection re-evaluation based on changed circumstances, or until asked.

Again, thanks to all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back