Off to Santa Maria, CA SMX

ejensen

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Jensen
Going for the weekend to the in-laws. Looks like a good day to fly. Minimal winds alot. Too bad we couldn't get away this morning and avoid the thermals. Looks like about 6.5 hours with a stop for gas. Probably do Bryce for gas.

I like this route. Beautiful, 8 National Parks, etc. 3V5-BCE-DAG-PMD-SMX

Have a good weekend.

Depending upon time of arrival at SMX, expect IMC due to FG. Layer is deepening because of seasonal eddies, plus SMX sits in an area which gets FG more pronounced than other coastal areas.

Also, high wind event is still in effect for all coastal stations south of KSBP, especially afternoon and towards evening.

Your route looks like a lot of fun.

Vicente Fox will be jetting from CO to CA today or tomorrow, I think.

Last edited:
Just did the wx. Looks like it should calm down by this evening. Plan on being off at 2000Z.

TAF KSMX 251731Z 251818 30017G23KT P6SM SKC
FM2000 29018G25KT P6SM SKC
FM0200 30015KT P6SM SKC
FM0600 30008KT P6SM SKC

Eric, last night it was blowing >60 KTS in the passes with 24-40 KTS at all coastal statons. Today it is expected to be the same. Check for updates when you get closer. This would be for the period beginning late aftn extending through the night.

Flight was great. Left Fort Collins at 2000Z and landed at SMX 0330Z. Winds were 270 @17G25. Runway 30 worked fine. Place does lockup early we barely made the FBO to get out. After 9 I guess you use the hotel. No coded gate or anything.

Enroute were the expected PM termals. Couldn't even get out of them at 14,500. Little more west wind than forcast. Had 15k headwind rather than the expected 5k. It was warm DA at Bryce was 10,200 (7590 msl). Fun listening to all the traffic around Vegas and Edwards. We stayed high due to the tango airmets. I've learned that the passes between the desert and valley can be nasty. Came across the grapevine on I-5 at 10500 and got pushed up to 12,000 on a highspeed elevator - 2000+ fpm but smooth. Kept waiting for the hammer but it never hit. Kept it high all the way to the coast and spiriled down over the coast.

Now hope we don't have trouble getting out Tuesday. I'm rated and current but 0/0 I won't do.

Eric

Last edited:
ejensen said:
Flight was great. Left Fort Collins at 2000Z and landed at SMX 0330Z. Winds were 270 @17G25. Runway 30 worked fine. Place does lockup early we barely made the FBO to get out. After 9 I guess you use the hotel. No coded gate or anything.

Enroute were the expected PM termals. Couldn't even get out of them at 14,500. Little more west wind than forcast. Had 15k headwind rather than the expected 5k. It was warm DA at Bryce was 10,200 (7590 msl). Fun listening to all the traffic around Vegas and Edwards. We stayed high due to the tango airmets. I've learned that the passes between the desert and valley can be nasty. Came across the grapevine on I-5 at 10500 and got pushed up to 12,000 on a highspeed elevator - 2000+ fpm but smooth. Kept waiting for the hammer but it never hit. Kept it high all the way to the coast and spiriled down over the coast.

Now hope we don't have trouble getting out Tuesday. I'm rated and current but 0/0 I won't do.

Eric
How was your experience with Santa Barbara TRACON? Or were you with ZLA the whole way? I think you'll be in VFR conditions departing SMX as long as you don't dip any further south. Keep your head on a swivel when east bound out of SMX. You'll be climbing through a lot of N-S traffic. You could use TTL VOR to transition the Sierra Nevada.

The thickest FG is Point Conception and south from there. Point Conception is just south of KVBG.

Last edited:
Didn't use SBA this time. In the past it has been Center all the way to tower.

Going out I usually head direct to Las Vegas and request a transition from Joshua when I get close to Edwards. If they turn me down it's around the south end.

ejensen said:
Didn't use SBA this time. In the past it has been Center all the way to tower.

Going out I usually head direct to Las Vegas and request a transition from Joshua when I get close to Edwards. If they turn me down it's around the south end.
You've been turned downed by Joshua? I wonder why...

Richard said:
You've been turned downed by Joshua? I wonder why...

Not turned down for service. They're great. Turned down to transition the R areas.

You mean the gap east of China Lake that only transits MOAs and not Rs? Could try that but if they're hot I'd rather leave it to the fast movers.

Spent the day wine tasting. SIL works at a winery so get 50% off and free tasting. Now I have to try and get 6 cases of wine in the Mooney! Great wine, did a record 12 stops. One place had a sign out, 'Not featured in Sideways'. Sure has changed in the 20 years I've been visiting vineyards in Santa Barbara county.

Back