OFF-SHORE Flying

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
While at KRKD, yesterday, I stopped in to visit with Don and Sally at Penobscot Flying Service. Here's a Time-Warner article which ran, recently. http://aroundmaine.com/06/pia/default.asp

I have an actress-singer friend who has a house of Matinicus Island. Suzanne notes that if I want to fly out there, sometime, "Get permission, first. It's private." I might ride with the mail run some time next summer.

HR

Nice!

I gotta ask, just out of curiosity, why bold Time Warner and KRKD?

SkyHog said:
Nice!

I gotta ask, just out of curiosity, why bold Time Warner and KRKD?

....certainly wouldn't want to run amok of any copyright regs. re Time Warner
document....................

Lawreston said:
While at KRKD, yesterday, I stopped in to visit with Don and Sally at Penobscot Flying Service. Here's a Time-Warner article which ran, recently. http://aroundmaine.com/06/pia/default.asp

I have an actress-singer friend who has a house of Matinicus Island. Suzanne notes that if I want to fly out there, sometime, "Get permission, first. It's private." I might ride with the mail run some time next summer.

HR

Looks like a nice place to fly to, great PIX, TNKS.

Arnold said:
That is a great pro GA piece, thanks.

I wasn't aware of the "Time-Warner On-line" piece until I visited Don and Sally, as noted in my lead to this thread. When I complimented them on the article about them which appeared in a recent AOPA- Pilot -- (August: "Heart Bigger the the Bay" - seven pages by Jeff Van West) -- it was they who brought the Time-Warner piece to my attention. Both articles were well-written and photographed.

HR

Edit: Incidentally, my actress-singer friend, Suzanne Rankin, is the June "gal" in the Matinicus Island 2007 Calendar titled, "What Do You Women DO All Day?". The calendar is a fund raiser for the 100 year old Matinicus Congregational Church. And in answer to the calendar title, on the back appears: "Anything We Want!!! One of the things we've wanted to do for 100 years is put running water in the church kitchen! Relying on the now proven theory that "Less is More", we are giving our all, or almost our all, to make it happen. We are all shapes, sizes, ages, and in 2007 all yours! Put us up in your kitchen and when you turn on your faucet, know that you've helped turn our faucet on, too!" Price = $15.00. Order from
Calendar, PO Box 215, Matinicus Is, ME 04851.
Email sisterssoap@verizon.net

Note: HR has no financial interest in promoting the calendar, but rest assured I'm going to get Suzanne to autograph my copy.

Edit #2: Here's an island Link: http://www.matinicusisle.org/index.html

Last edited:
Geez, that's a great story. I've known Kevin for years going way back to when he flew for Colgan Air based at Augusta, Maine. He was always the guy who said hi on the radio and called you "captain" even if all you flew that day was a Beech Sport. He has been a fixture at Rockland for a long time and has weathered the many, many, many up and downs of flying for a living in Maine. It's great to see someone sticking to something and making it work. Also great to see Rod Barrows come home to Maine. I helped teach him to fly. He went off to Alaska with nothing more than a PPL, a truck full of tools, and his dog Alasha. His dream was to be a bush pilot in Alaska....looks like he achieved his dream too. He's also a heck of a carpenter! If anyone gets to Rockland say hi to Kevin aka H2O. You can't miss him....he's the big guy with a huge smile probably getting into or out of an airplane.

With or without your permission I'm going to cut/paste your above comments and email same up to Penobscot Island Air. It'll be my favorite place to "drop in" when I head up to RKD. And you probably know that I grew up just barely West of there, in Cushing.

HR

Lawreston said:
With or without your permission I'm going to cut/paste your above comments and email same up to Penobscot Island Air. It'll be my favorite place to "drop in" when I head up to RKD. And you probably know that I grew up just barely West of there, in Cushing.

HR
You go right ahead. :)

Dave Krall CFII said:
Looks like a nice place to fly to, great PIX, TNKS.

Wasn't there just recently an article about this flying service in AOPA Pilot? Or another aviation rag? This seems really familiar. (Yes, nice article and pics!)

Troy Whistman said:
Wasn't there just recently an article about this flying service in AOPA Pilot? Or another aviation rag? This seems really familiar. (Yes, nice article and pics!)

You are correct. From my Post of October 19:

"I wasn't aware of the "Time-Warner On-line" piece until I visited Don and Sally, as noted in my lead to this thread. When I complimented them on the article about them which appeared in a recent AOPA- Pilot -- (August: "Heart Bigger the the Bay" - seven pages by Jeff Van West) -- it was they who brought the Time-Warner piece to my attention. Both articles were well-written and photographed."

Note: red highlighting done by me in this post, only.

HR

The minister who married Jessie and I also covers Man Rock (as we called it, on Islesford). He went on to say how the Sunbeam (the Seacoast Mission boat, a big steel-hulled 70' offshore boat) would usually do two funerals at a time (if you pass away, and live on one of the islands, to be buried there you either take the ferry or the Sunbeam - most use the Sunbeam) when covering Man during the winter - with a 25 mile steam, there wasn't enough time to do two round trips in a day, so you'd load two funeral parties on the boat... it was a slightly odd, but typical (for downeast Maine), pre wedding conversation.

I'm glad Islesford is only 3 miles offshore...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back