"Off label" medications

A

Avoiding_Meds

How tolerant is the FAA of "off label" medication? Specifically medications for blood pressure and cholesterol

I already have an SI for type 2 diabetes (oral meds). My BP and cholesterol are within normal limits, but my doc has been pushing me for years to take low doses of anti cholesterol and BP medication even though neither lab results are high.

Supposedly, those medications "protect" other organs in addition to their main effects.

Not seeking medical advice, but advice on whether the FAA has evolved on off label prescriptions.

The FAA doesn't offer medical advice either. If the medications themselves don't prohibit you from flying, then you'll likely just have a conversation with the AME about whether you have the underlying conditions that they're prescribed for. But my question would be how do you get insurance to pay for the meds without a diagnosis? And if you get a diagnosis, then you'll have to disclose that on your Medxpress.

Regardless, the process for getting certified with high blood pressure and high cholesterol is quite benign.

Kind of surprised; I’ve seen people taking excess BP meds end up in the ‘back’ (of the ambulance I used to drive).
Maybe it’s something new, taking meds for conditions you don’t have.

BP and cholesterol drugs are pretty much yawners certification wise. You're taking it and don't have any untoward effects, fine, you pass.

Back