Off Field landing in NE TX

jlwilson

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joyce
http://www.mywphost.net/craigr/2011/...in-the-jabiru/

This story happened in my back yard - so to speak. I was incredibly thankful that everyone was safe and unhurt as I got to the 'landing site'. The plane owner and pilot did an incredible job of writing up the incident and I found several lessons to be learned. His idea of an 'after the landing' checklist was something that I'd never given any thought to. I realize that it wouldn't be applicable necessarily if there were injuries - obviously that may negate the ability to perform any kind of check- but there are definitely things that we should think about.

(Cross post from Purple Board)

Great job! I hope that I can be that cool in an emergency.

Love that the IDPA exec was 1st person to arrive at the scene. Gun people are friendly people!

pulled?

"That annoying 404 error.
Page not found.
The page you tried to reach doesn't exist. Check for typos or perform a search:"

The Jabiru has been using a little more than the normal amount of oil lately, so I was careful to check it. I added about a half quart and we took off for Tyler.
That's a lot of oil when you consider that the engine only holds 2 quarts to begin with...

Great story... read his page about the recovery effort, too:

http://www.mywphost.net/craigr/2011/11/15/so-youve-landed-in-a-cow-pasture/

And these wonderful kudos to Joyce:

And I can’t thank Joyce Wilson enough. She probably thinks she didn’t do anything. But throughout the weekend she was my ace in the hole. She went out on her own and tied down the airplane when we were expecting some wind and adverse weather. If I needed a mechanic, she knew who to call. If I needed tools, hers were at my disposal. When I needed to find the airplane again, she knew how to get there. If a deer hunter gave me crap, she was there to back them down. She had her work gloves on before the LSR guys, and instinctively knew what they needed and was there to hand it to them. If you’re going to glide your plane into a cow pasture in Texas, point the nose at the Circle WC Ranch.

Last edited:
That fixed it, thanks - (but I still don't understand how you and Morne were able to use a dead link.):dunno:

Can't speak for TC, but us old guys are accustomed to getting the best from things that appear dead.

Just your normal everyday person tryin to help out :). I was really amazed when I got to them how cool they were. I can only hope that if something like that ever happened to me I wouldn't be a complete wreck after the fact.

Initially one of my friends heard it on a scanner and called me to see if I was the one that just crashed. Then he told me the GPS coordinates and that he thought they were just south of our ranch. The cool thing about the little community area we live in is that everyone started looking for them. I just hopped on my 4 wheeler and went where I thought they might be and they were there, unharmed thank God!

It was interesting to me that the insurance company actually found him the recovery team. It makes sense, I just wouldn't have thought about it. It was also interesting how the wings just come off so easy and that they aren't really that heavy. Granted my 182 wings might be a bit heavier and I really don't want to find out that way :).

I'm definitely going to work on an 'after landing' checklist as well. I didn't even think about tying the plane down until the next day when Craig and I were talking. We were supposedly going to get some wind and rain and all I could think about was the obviously spectacular landing that he had made and saved the plane for it to get flipped upside down by the weather or a cow.

I'm just glad I could help out

Joyce:

If you are ever over this way, I'd love to buy you a tasty lunch; all that you did was right neighborly!

/s/ Spike

Spike,

Thanks! I will definitely have to get over your way sometime. You're not that far :)

Joyce

It might be worth moving to NE TX just to have Joyce around.
:yes:

She sounds like a wonderful gal!
:yes:

Joyce, that was quite a story. You were a huge help to a fellow pilot. :yes: I know you think you didn't do much, but you really did a lot! But, your humbleness is one of the many things I admire about you. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back