OEM Starter Options for O-540?

kenjr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KenJr
We're looking to replace the starter in our 1964 Cherokee 235 with a O-540. I recall reading somewhere, and of course I didn't bookmark it and can't find it again, an OEM /FAA approved starter that didn't draw as much power as the stock replacement among other improvements.

I'm curious if anyone else has replaced their starter in a O-540 with anything other than stock?

Thanks!

We're looking to replace the starter in our 1964 Cherokee 235 with a O-540. I recall reading somewhere, and of course I didn't bookmark it and can't find it again, an OEM /FAA approved starter that didn't draw as much power as the stock replacement among other improvements.

I'm curious if anyone else has replaced their starter in a O-540 with anything other than stock?

Thanks!
That could be the skytec starters that are a couple of pounds lighter...do know.

Actually it draws more amps. And thats a good thing. Get the skytec inline noseless version. You'll be amazed how well it will crank. But before you do anything check your battery cables and make sure you have a ground cable connecting engine to airframe.

Jeff is correct - check the battery cables first. You'd be surprised how much of an improvement that can make. On the Aztec it was a massive improvement.

However, the SkyTecs will be one step more massive of an improvement on top of that, and I am a fan of them. For the 540 I'd recommend getting a SkyTec NL starter. Very happy with the cranking speeds on those.

Thanks guys - will do. I've owned a few old cars chasing electrical gremlins...I know how big of a deal just cleaning the grounds can make. We'll definitely check that.

Our starter now has a Bendix issue and it's been intermittent for a while. Most times, you push the starter button and get a 'whirrrrrrr' the first time around. Let is sit a second and push it again and she'll crank. Last week though one of the other guys was flying it and the Bendix wouldn't retract. An A&P told him he'd be OK to start it, but shut it down immediately if it made noise. Fortunately, it pulled back in and he was able to fly it home.

Anyway, what usually happens is the prop will do about one slow full turn then hang a second and then start turning again and eventually will start. We doubt that's the way it's supposed to be so the answer at this point is to rebuild the existing or get something new. It looks like Sky-Tec is what Lycoming is shipping in factory new engines and I'm sure there are a bunch of improvements to the design...the least of which is that there's no Bendix to fail in the new units.

I also need to check our battery to make sure it has enough CCA. I'd guess something around 200 would be appropriate for our plane (the NL-149 unit we need requires 125-180 @ 11v).

Last edited:
We use the SkyTech starter on our O-540 in the Pawnee. Great starters and excellent service from the factory. Pay attention to the cranking limits.

I had a Skytec starter installed on my Cherokee 235 with replacing the aluminum battery cables with copper at the same time.

I've had no problems at all. My O-540 would start in s a blade or two anyway. After the upgrade it spun faster and started even easier.

I just installed a Hartzell starter. Low weight, low current draw, fast spin, immune to kickback, and relatively inexpensive.

Some starter performance problems are due to old master and/or starter contactors. The copper contacts in them oxidize with age (years) and burn with use (starts). Both conditions increase the resistance across the contactor and slow the starter.

Easily diagnosed by taking a voltage drop reading across the contactor terminals. An indication of even half a volt when cranking is a sign that the thing is going bad.

Contactors are usually cheap enough, far less than new batteries or starters, which are sometimes replaced when it's really the contactor at fault.

Skytec, in my experience, is the best starter.

Dan

Back