Odd patterns

DaleB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DaleB
The thread about the night currency got me thinking about this. Last night I was out flying, first time with a pax. We'd landed once and I decided to fly another lap around the pattern. As I'm turning crosswind, I hear a Lance announcing that he's 2 miles out, crossing mid field for a downwind entry.

Now, it's hazy and about dusk, so I've got ALL the lights on. I'm hunting for the Lance... no joy. Finally my son spots him, about 500' below me, crossing mid field. He turns a quick downwind, then immediately rolls into base. By now I've told him I'll just extend my downwind. He must have been booking right along right up until after he turned final, because i really didn't have to... he passed me on his final leg about the time I would have turned base anyway. He landed and cleared the runway about half a minute before I flared.

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong... but it seems to me a little odd to come bombing into the traffic pattern 500' low and doing about 120 knots. At the same time, he saw he and I saw him (though it would have helped if I'd known to look DOWN) and everyone was happy i the end. Just seemed odd, I haven't seen that before.

See and avoid.

Sounds like dangerous behavior on his part. I am sorry you and your son experienced that on your first pax flight. My son was my first passenger, too. Congratulations.

Welcome to being a pilot. Keep those eyes open and ears listening.

120 knots fast (120 knots faster than you?) seems a little steep but entering the pattern 500 feet below is not a good thing.

A Lance will be flying faster though, normally.

Maybe he saw you too late and decided to duck under instead of block his view of you with his wing.

You just never know...

All in all it wasn't a problem... he was quick enough to tuck in underneath and get clear without me needing to deviate more than maybe 10 seconds of extra downwind time. I just told my son I was slowing us way down to give him some extra time, pitched for about 80 MPH, no sweat. But yeah, would have been nice if he'd announced his altitude.

Back