odd CTAF calls

The only time taxi announcements make sense is if you have a taxiway that has a blind-spot that requires either aircraft to committ without seing the other one. In your regular setup with a parallel taxiway and good sight-lines, they are imnho redundant redundancy. The reason you hear them in a lot of places is because 'the book' says so.

C'mon man... Until you're ready to depart, there is no reason to key the mic.

I understand your point, but how about if you have to cross one or more runways to get to the one you will be departing from?

Never say never!

-Skip

Podunk traffic, Bug smasher 12345, short final runway 13, full stop, Podun....bird. bird! BIRD!...oh sh.

...A few clicks later...

Podunk traffic, Bug smasher 12345, going around.

I was told this by a friend about a mutual friend who I have not seen in years so I cannot verify the story. A hawk managed to penetrate the windscreen, smack him in the face and was thrashing around in the back seat. No injury to him except after he landed, he was in such a hurry to abandon ship, he broke his elbow when he fell out the door.

Cheers

I understand your point, but how about if you have to cross one or more runways to get to the one you will be departing from?

Never say never!

-Skip

A number of good reasons have been pointed out in the thread, so "never" isn't a good choice.

In the case of my home field, the airport is board flat with no sightline problems, and there is no reason to cross the runway unless you're groundlooping. Which is why I question the need to make radio calls about taxi intentions....

Then announce that you are crossing the runway so the guy on base doesn't wonder whether you are setting up for a mid-field departure heading his direction.

Doesn't mean you have to announce that you are going from the hangar to the fuel pump.

Back