odd ads-b names

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
Has anyone noticed the increasing number of "odd or funny" ads-b names?

Usually I will see a tail number or flight # ectt.. Nxxxx or AALxxx

Occasionally I will see identifiers such as "starship1", "zoom", "cash", ect...

They appear to be corporate jets to me (guessing) flying at 35,000-41,000 feet.

Makes me wonder if someone is being funny at the avionics shop ??

Depending on how the ADS-B system is installed, the pilot can have the option of entering their 7 character Flight ID. When a Flight ID is entered, it is broadcast instead of the N number. In order to use a Flight ID, they must be assigned by the FAA and there are criteria for obtaining one. Using an unapproved Flight ID could get the pilot in trouble with the FAA.

Interesting.. some of these I have seen can't be real.. I will have to take a screenshot off my ipad next time I see one!

You can do that with plain mode S as well.

Because the system isn't yet required, or fully operational, you can program your ADS-B out to label yourself as just about anything.

I wouldn't try that after 2020. :)

Mine's gonna be "Major Tom"

Then I will hear "Ground control to Major Tom" (Pink Floyd)

That could get really interesting for the installations that easily pilot configurable. What do I want to fly around amusing people with today..

I think he means it that 1090ES Mode-S isn't an optional unmonitored side-system that nobody pays attention to.

How so? You can set it to whatever you want for standard mode S. You can set the FLT ID, it's different from the Mode S address.

You are correct that the Flight ID is different from the 24 bit ICAO Aircraft ID that is used by both a Mode S transponder and an ADS-B Out system that is not a UAT anonymous mode. However, in a mode S transponder, the Flight ID is set to the aircraft registration number by default and is 7 alphanumeric characters long. For aircraft that have a mode S transponder but use a Flight ID to indicate their flight number as a call sign, they enter the Flight ID into the mode S transponder prior to the flight. The transponder needs to be configured to accept the entry of a Flight ID by the pilot, so any pilot has that flies an aircraft with this capability can enter it in the transponder. On most GA aircraft, avionics shops don't enable this capability, so the Flight ID is static and the same as the N number. However, the Flight ID will be transmitted by a mode S transponder and is required by regulation (91.153 and 91.169) to match the call sign in the Flightplan as this is either the registration number or the aircraft call sign, example N12345 or AAL1649.

This is from the GTX330 Installation manual:

The GTX 330 is a Level 2 transponder, providing downlink of aircraft information. Ground stations can interrogate Mode S Transponders individually using a 24-bit ICAO Mode S address, which is unique to the particular aircraft. In addition, ground stations may interrogate a GTX 330 for its Transponder data capability and the aircraft's Flight ID, which may be the registration number or other call sign.

The Garmin GTX330 Mode S transponder has the following configuration options for setting the Mode S Flight ID:

SAME AS TAIL - If address is a US registration number, FLT ID can be the same.
POWER UP ENTRY - Enter FLT ID every time the unit is turned on in normal mode.
CONFIG ENTRY - Enter FLT ID in Configuration mode only.

I think we're talking about the same thing. If people want to play fun and games with the FLT ID on their Mode S, nothing stops them now. It doesn't take an avionics wizard to figure out how to switch the FLT ID handling (to either Power Up or Config). While you are right that nobody is supposed to set it to other than their N Number for most GA, that doesn't mean that people can't or won't. In fact, nobody at ATC currently notices what it's set to.

Nothing with this is appreciably different than the FLT ID in ADSB.

It's a good thing all this important information is broadcast by our aircraft using all this expensive equipment... only to be ignored or unused on the ground.

Back