Ocracoke, NC

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
I love this place!!! Flew down for the first time in September and really liked it. The runway is almost on the beach....just a 5 minute walk and you're there. Restaurant close by, fun place to go.

Went back today. It's only a 2 hour flight.....but if you're driving from my neighborhood, it's a 6.5 hr drive (on a good day) and a 45 minute ferry ride. I had planned to go west, but the wx wasn't being agreeable, so I decided to make a run to Ocracoke. Beautiful day...great flight.....what more could I ask for after a particularly gruesome week at the office.

Got to Ocracoke and wasn't really hungry, so I went to the beach. There I am sitting on a near deserted beach soakin' up some rays in November, temps around 80, airplane just a 5 minute walk away, watching the waves chase the plovers. It just doesn't get any better than this.........

Finally, back to the plane, leisurely flight up the Outer Banks, stop for fuel at Manteo, then a pleasant flight home.

I'm chilled.........:yinyang:

Kaye

One of my favorite places, particularly in the fall and spring when it's deserted but still pleasant. In summer the beach is nice but the bugs are bad.

I once stayed there for a weekend and gave a couple who decided to get married a lift up to Dare County and back so they could get their license.

I usually stop at Williamsburg for food on the way back, and sometimes do a stop-and-taxi-back at First Flight.

Let me think...12+hrs in the car or 3hrs in C182 from KCHA. My decision is obvious. Looks like a cool place to visit. Is lodging reasonable? You have to stay overnight so you can have a brew or two.

bjohnson said:
Let me think...12+hrs in the car or 3hrs in C182 from KCHA. My decision is obvious. Looks like a cool place to visit. Is lodging reasonable? You have to stay overnight so you can have a brew or two.

Last time I was there I stayed overnight at a bed-and-breakfast. Can't remember the name but I think it had "Captain" in the title. I thought the prices were reasonable, and the accomodation was a good value.

Not sure how skimpy the pickings get in the off-season however.

Right now I'm jonesing to go back to Nantucket for a weekend - but don't have the ready cash.

bjohnson said:

That was the tough part......no brewskies. But I made up for it when I got home.:D

Haven't overnighted yet......trying to convince the hubby to go.....but prices seem reasonable from what I've seen on the web. Talked to some folks who were staying the weekend from Greensboro, and they've tried several of the condo varieties and said they were good. But they did mention that most of the places close down after Thanksgiving. A lot of the restaurants are already closed, and they said where they did eat during the weekend, a lot of the selections weren't available.

You are bringing back fond memories for me. I flew out there about 7 years ago from Iowa in a Cessna 172 RG. First time I'd seen the ocean and a real beach. I loved that place too.

Mary and I have added Ocracoke to the "to do" list. I guess we will wait until spring time and then make a 4 day out of it. KBID is also on that short list of to do places.

Back