Obtaining 3rd class medical with wet reckless in 1984

Turtleman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Turtleman
I began flight training in 1983 logging 50+ hours without obtaining my ticket. Fast forward nearly 40 years and I’m considering resuming training with the goal of of obtaining a private pilot certificate.

After reviewing the application for the 3rd class medical, it appears I’m required to check “yes” on 18 V due to a wet reckless conviction in 1984. My BAC was .15. I have no recollection of being required to notify FAA at the time of conviction in 1984 nor do I remember making any such notification. It appears the requirement began in 1990.

14 C.F.R 61.15 defines a motor vehicle action as:

‘A conviction after November 29, 1990, for the violation of any federal or state statute relating to the operation of a motor vehicle while intoxicated by alcohol or a drug, while impaired by alcohol or a drug, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug.’

Am I correct that as my arrest and conviction was prior to November 29, 1990, I wasn’t required to notify FAA of my arrest and conviction in 1984?

Should I now notify FAA of the 1984 arrest and conviction?

Does 14 C.F.R. 61.15 apply to 18 V on the application for medical, or should I check “yes” on 18 V on my application for medical certificate?

It’s my understanding that my conviction of one alcohol related offense shouldn’t preclude me from obtaining medical and pilot certificates. I’m happy to report the offense now, and check “yes” on the application for medical but I’d rather not create any more paperwork than necessary.

You don't need to make the 61.15 report.
You DO need to report it on your medical (that's a have you ever situation). You should get the paperwork the FAA is going to need: records of your BAC at the time was less than 0.15%, driving record for the past 15 years to show no other offenses, personal statement. Only with this can you be issued without a protracted deferral.

You don't need to make the 61.15 report.
You DO need to report it on your medical (that's a have you ever situation). You should get the paperwork the FAA is going to need: records of your BAC at the time was less than 0.15%, driving record for the past 15 years to show no other offenses, personal statement. Only with this can you be issued without a protracted deferral.
What flyingron said. However, for a single event in 1984 with a BAC of 0.15, a good AME could likely negotiate issuing your certificate without a protracted deferral. Here the list of information you would need to provide.

I use a Cert. Alcohol and Drug counselor (whom I have trained to part 67 defintions) for this situation. Then the "call in" frequently works.....

Back