'obsolete' G1000 - how big of an issue?

if I was in the market for G2/3(aren't all G3s Perspective? I forgot when they switched) Cirrus and Avidyne were selling for hundred thousand less then Perspective and was not worrying too much about selling it soon, I'd buy Avidyne. First, I like it better. Second, you put GTN750 and nice DFC90 on it and it's every bit as capable as Perspective. Graphics are dated, but it's more intuitive with less buttons.

Most of what I hear about Avidyne issues has to do with backlit display. Yes, it's really pretty pathetic that you have to spend a few thousand dollars to refurb a couple dollar backlight, but I don't think that problem will make those planes scrap. I also think that Avidyne will eventually create an update path for Entegra

Last edited:
Just running across this thread after a search for upgrading a G1000 to G1000 NXi. I just purchased one of only 26 Saratoga's with a G1000 and I've wondered about ongoing support. I'm just starting to speak with a couple avionics shops and the early feedback is positive. Might any of you been down this road with a Saratoga?

Thanks,
MB

Just running across this thread after a search for upgrading a G1000 to G1000 NXi. I just purchased one of only 26 Saratoga's with a G1000 and I've wondered about ongoing support. I'm just starting to speak with a couple avionics shops and the early feedback is positive. Might any of you been down this road with a Saratoga?

Thanks,
MB

Dynon is certified for the following PA-32s: PA-32-260, PA-32-300, PA-32S-300, PA-32R-300, PA- 32RT-300, PA-32RT-300T, PA-32R-301(SP), PA-32R- 301(HP), PA-32R-301T, PA32-301, PA-32-301T, PA-32-301FT, PA32-301XTC.

I didn’t check to see if the Dynon autopilot is also certified for your plane. My guess is you will find several options: Aspen, Garmin, Dynon, etc. It won’t be cheap though due to the labor involved. Probably best to lead turn the install before it hard breaks somewhere with no ability to ferry it without engine instruments, ADHRS, etc.

Dynon is certified for the following PA-32s: PA-32-260, PA-32-300, PA-32S-300, PA-32R-300, PA- 32RT-300, PA-32RT-300T, PA-32R-301(SP), PA-32R- 301(HP), PA-32R-301T, PA32-301, PA-32-301T, PA-32-301FT, PA32-301XTC.

I didn’t check to see if the Dynon autopilot is also certified for your plane. My guess is you will find several options: Aspen, Garmin, Dynon, etc. It won’t be cheap though due to the labor involved. Probably best to lead turn the install before it hard breaks somewhere with no ability to ferry it without engine instruments, ADHRS, etc.

Thanks for the response. Sarasota Aviation actually has an NXi upgrade solution and I already have the upgraded transponder. They complete the upgrade within a week.

MB

Last edited:
Tell me about it. I have a 2018 Audi with the deluxe nav/entertainment package. It has Google Earth map display, traffic alerts, weather, wi-fi, etc., etc. It runs on 3G cellular. 3G is going away, so none of that will work any more. No great loss; a $100 Garmin portable (free lifetime database updates) and an iPhone do it all, and better.

Save your $100...get Waze for free.

Back