O-360-a4a won't start

I wouldn't take the cowling back off unless it was a very simple job. I would do a thorough preflight, then fly the pattern as others have recommended. If everything was okay, head for home. That is my normal procedure after any maintenance or an annual.

Well part of me says left mag was taken on ad put back on. If it starts im good. But I know that's how bad things happen. So Ill do a good preflight fly the pattern and check it out again before I let my wife in for the return trip.

When you do the mag check on run up, pay attention to the rpm difference right and left. When the mags are timed correctly and the same, the rpm difference is small. This assumes the plugs and harnesses are in good condition.
The impulse coupler is on the end of the mag that goes into the engine.

Yep, post maint flight is either solo or with the mechanic.

I wonder how long it will take for this statement to spark yet another 20-page debate on why mechanics are afraid to fly in airplanes that they just "fixed". :)

To the OP: if you can get the mechanic to fly with you, that's:
a) normally a good sign
b) a great resource (he can listen to the engine with you)

I too vote for a few (tight) laps around the pattern to make sure that the engine performs as expected. Every one of my flights after maintenance has been a white-knuckle climb-out with my eyes outside, looking for the best landing spot straight ahead. Knock on wood, so far no failures (I've been lucky).

also had a mag fail in flight. 1st obvious indication was failed restart attempt late at night in Sidney, NE. Hindsight indication was some backfiring (ok, let's not re-start the backfire vs exhaust fire discussion) on reducing throttle for landing.

Fortunately for us, the line guy lived within sight of the field, saw us and came over to help out. He gave us the keys to the crew car so we didn't sleep in the airplane that night.

I wonder how long it will take for this statement to spark yet another 20-page debate on why mechanics are afraid to fly in airplanes that they just "fixed". :)

To the OP: if you can get the mechanic to fly with you, that's:
a) normally a good sign
b) a great resource (he can listen to the engine with you)

I too vote for a few (tight) laps around the pattern to make sure that the engine performs as expected. Every one of my flights after maintenance has been a white-knuckle climb-out with my eyes outside, looking for the best landing spot straight ahead. Knock on wood, so far no failures (I've been lucky).

I don't expect the mechanic to fly with me. I won't even ask in this case. The guy don't know me so I could understand why he wouldn't want to fly if I asked and he said no. Heck I know some people I won't fly with. So I'll do the consensus and make a few laps around the patch. Break for lunch with the friend who flew us down and then hit the hour long flight back home. Should be a nice day to fly tomorrow as well. Oh and I'll likely pull the cowl to look and touch the mag and the plugs they pulled out. Just to make sure they are tight. The good thing is the right mag wasn't touched so that one should be good.

If you have a CHT gauge, look at it carefully. If the mags are mistimed, the CHT's will usually not be normal.

If you have a CHT gauge, look at it carefully. If the mags are mistimed, the CHT's will usually not be normal.

I do not have that. All I have is egt. Going to get in today. Can't wait to get it home. $100 burger run turned into a $500 burger run! Haha oh well. They said on run up at 2000rpm they got 75rpm drop on each side. That sounds normal in that that department.

The good thing is the right mag wasn't touched so that one should be good.

If the mags have the same maintenance history, I would expect trouble from that right mag before long.

If the mags have the same maintenance history, I would expect trouble from that right mag before long.

Yep, it's like twin engines, some people stagger the overhauls and some people do both when the first comes due. Either way works fine, it's a good idea to go through the records and see which way is in use.

Well I'm back home. Plane seemed to have ran smoother now. Not sure but it seems it. Starting wise didn't seem much better but hey it started and my battery was weak so.....you spend $800 and they don't even charge my battery..thanks! But all is good, it's on the charger now and we had a nice flight home. Bumpy but nice! I might send the right off during my annual. I'm sure it's cheaper sending it off than a shop doing it. Oh and the points looked nasty, one looked like it was arc'd right in half.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

I'm sure it's cheaper sending it off than a shop doing it.

Not necessarily...if the local shop knows what they are doing then that is often the best way to go.

Well I'm back home. Plane seemed to have ran smoother now. Not sure but it seems it. Starting wise didn't seem much better but hey it started and my battery was weak so.....you spend $800 and they don't even charge my battery..thanks! But all is good, it's on the charger now and we had a nice flight home. Bumpy but nice! I might send the right off during my annual. I'm sure it's cheaper sending it off than a shop doing it. Oh and the points looked nasty, one looked like it was arc'd right in half.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!
Shouldn't the flight home have re-charged the battery?

hahaha you said it.

The impulse coupler...Where is it physically in the mag? I assume that was changed in all this but I never asked.

It's not (IN) the mag, it is what drives the mag. and no I doubt it was replaced during this repair.

OBTW, this mag was not overhauled, it was repaired.

Read the definition of overhauled, I doubt any FBO type shop has the equipment to overhaul mags.

Attachments

• DSCN2283.jpg
    DSCN2283.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Shouldn't the flight home have re-charged the battery?

The flight home did charge it up. But they didn't charge it and it was very cold so.....before my test flight I had to get it jump started. I shouldn't have had to do that coming out of maintenance I wouldn't have thought.

It's not (IN) the mag, it is what drives the mag. and no I doubt it was replaced during this repair.

OBTW, this mag was not overhauled, it was repaired.

Read the definition of overhauled, I doubt any FBO type shop has the equipment to overhaul mags.

Gotcha, I thought I could see it between the mag and the engine. I couldn't. Well I know they didn't replace the coil either so watch that go out next. These were slick mags and I probablly could have bought a new one for close to the price for repair. I guess that's what happens when you break down away from home. I'm just glad to have it back.

The flight home did charge it up. But they didn't charge it and it was very cold so.....before my test flight I had to get it jump started. I shouldn't have had to do that coming out of maintenance I wouldn't have thought.

Unless you tell them to charge the battery, they won't.

I tried to jump it before we took it over to maintenance so the panel was off and the battery cover open. I asked if they would charge it and he said sure. I get there and nothing had to have it jumped for my test flight. Started right back up after test flight. All is good..

They repaired the mag, installed it and retimed it.....

How did they start the motor to test their repair and check for leaks????:dunno::dunno:

How did they start the motor to test their repair and check for leaks????:dunno::dunno:

That was my thought, though they said they did and it fired on first time.

Warm motor just pulled out of a heated shop starts pretty easily.

Gotcha, I thought I could see it between the mag and the engine. I couldn't. Well I know they didn't replace the coil either so watch that go out next. These were slick mags and I probablly could have bought a new one for close to the price for repair. I guess that's what happens when you break down away from home. I'm just glad to have it back.

This is what you get when you run to failure.

Murphy's law on failures:
It will fail when your bank account can least afford it.
It will fail when you are far far away from home.

Back