NWA dings me $100 to get outta dodge

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
I was supposed to fly out of EWR (Newark, NJ) today on NWA (Northwest Airlines). Listening to the weather, I decided to try to rebook to an earlier flight. Just after I hung up the phone, Mayor Bloomberg was holding a press conferance discussing the emergency procedures for this storm

NWA representative "Jan" acknowledges a big storm, finds an open flight, and charges me $100 for a ticket change. She said the weather waivers haven't been applied yet, and that once I pay the $100 there was no refund. I was able to leave early, but I have a trip tomorrow so I couldn't leave late.

Today- 400 flights canceled, looks like the one I was supposed to be on was one of them. I wrote NWA asking for a refund for the ticket change charge.

Being a ticked off business traveler, I also cc'ed my elected officials.

It's annoying to get charged for showing foresight, and trying to work with the airline so they have one less person to move out when the planes get flying again.

I change to earlier flights all the time with Continental
and I've never been charged. I just go to the gate of the flight I
want to get on and ask real nice if they have an extra seat. If they
do they put me on there. Now maybe if I wanted to change the
reservation to an earlier day they might.

RT

Cap, one of these evenings when you're sitting around bored just keep calling and requesting a refund. If denied, ask for a supervisor. If denied, ask for another. If you have to, call back again and again.

I did this exact thing once with a credit card company. They looked at my file and noted I had already called three times. "Yeah, how about that? I've got all weekend, how about you?" I got the refund. It was only for $170.

For some, it's not much. For others, it's a lot. For me, it's a fourth of my mortgage. It pays to be a squeaky wheel. And, in the land where most people are now treated like pigeons and Canada geese rather than a returning customer, I'll make the wheel scream.

Ken-

Calling back when I have nothing better to do sounds like a good idea.

If I find the DOT complaint e-mail, I 'll let them know how NWA prepare for storms too. 500 flights canceled, including the one I was supposed to be on.

A couple of years ago it was snowing in Chicago one fine March day. It was the day I was supposed to fly home from visiting mom on her birthday. So I called and asked if I could just change the flight to the next day. The CS rep at AA thanked me, changed my flight at no cost and then AA sent me a giant bag of mixed nuts and two serving dishes for having the spend an extra night away.

Those were the days!

An update-

Congressman Fortenberry had his aide call me and ask for more details. Asked if I'd heard from NWA, etc. They are interested since he is looking for information on the air traveler's bill of rights. I also tossed in a tidbit about user's fees, but only a sentence or two.

NWA hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Back