NTSB

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
Lately I been noticing reports on the NTSB site that did not take place in the US and were not on a US registered aircraft, Why is that? I thought NTSB only covered US registered aircraft and events that take place in the US.

Example:
NTSB Identification: CEN12WA033
14 CFR Non-U.S., Non-Commercial
Accident occurred Friday, October 14, 2011 in Amurrio, Spain
Aircraft: DIAMOND DA20, registration: EC-KDS
Injuries: 2 Fatal.​

On October 14, 2011, at 1040 universal coordinated time, a Diamond DA20-C1 airplane, EC-KDS, sustained substantial damage when it impacted terrain near Amurrio, Spain. The two crewmembers sustained fatal injuries.
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20111020X94232&key=1

Last edited:
The engine in a DA20-C1 is a US product. The spanish authorities probably asked the NTSB as the home authority of a component manufacturer to be party to their investigation. This could include e.g. supervising the teardown of the engine at the Continental factory.

When the Pilatus went down in Butte, the swiss and german aircraft accident offices (BfU) were parties to the investigation. The ultimately successful attempts to extract information from the annunciator unit were performed by the manufacturer of that unit while a BfU engineer observed. The NTSB based their probable cause in part on the report written by that BfU expert.

After reading your post I spend some times searching thought non-US registered tail numbers on the NTSB's site and most do have US made engines. However I also found this report:

NTSB Identification: ENG10WA057
14 CFR Unknown
Accident occurred Tuesday, September 07, 2010 in Izhma, Russia
Aircraft: TUPOLEV TU154, registration: RA-85684
Injuries: Unavailable​

On September 7, 2010, an Alrosa Mirny Air Enterprise Tupolev Tu-154M, registration RA-85684, overran the runway at an abandoned air strip near the town of Izhma, Russia.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20101004X40949&key=1

I don't know what kind of engines Tu-154 has but I bet they are Russian.

My understanding is that investigation agencies in other countries will often solicit support from the NTSB to help in certain investigations.

My understanding is that investigation agencies in other countries will often solicit support from the NTSB to help in certain investigations.

Yes, the NTSB is world renouned for its ability to determine the cause of aircraft crashes.. believe it or not. They certainly are thurough.

<---<^>--->

After reading your post I spend some times searching thought non-US registered tail numbers on the NTSB's site and most do have US made engines. However I also found this report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20101004X40949&key=1

I don't know what kind of engines Tu-154 has but I bet they are Russian.
Could have some other connection like US personnel onboard or the responsible agency did not have the resources or was overwhelmed and asked the NTSB for assistance.

I've always heard that the NTSB doesn't investigate all GA accidents because of limited resources. I really hope they are charging foreign airlines/governments for their services.

I've always heard that the NTSB doesn't investigate all GA accidents because of limited resources. I really hope they are charging foreign airlines/governments for their services.

Wow, had no idea.
How do they choose what not to investigate?

Wow, had no idea.
How do they choose what not to investigate?

All accidents are investigated. The NTSB delegates some of it's accident investigation to the FAA. NTSB itself investigates airline accidents and "high profile" accidents.

Outside the US the NTSB will investigate accidents that involve US carriers, or accidents that involve US products. On occasion they will also lend their expertise to foreign governments.

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/process.html

Last edited:
Do you know if FAA publishes accidents reports like NTSB?

Ah okay, misunderstood you at first.

Thanks for explaining.

They will investigate GA accidents if:
- there are a significant number of fatalities
- someone more important than us regular peons was on board
- they think it's some interesting mechanism that may have ramifications for the community as a whole.

The usual 'bugsmasher pilot flies into the fog and kills his family' gets delegated to the FAA. You can tell the FAA investigated reports by their lack of paragraphs and the fact that they often contain value or regulatory judgements in the language used.

You can tell the FAA investigated reports by their lack of paragraphs and the fact that they often contain value or regulatory judgements in the language used.

BS.gif

Back