NTSB Report on Submarine Mooney Crash

X3 Skier

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Geezer
From the Dayton Daily News.

"Breaking News Staff
MIAMI TWP. — The National Transportation Safety Board has concluded its investigation into the March 11 small plane crash in a wooded area near Interstate 675, citing the plane's lack of fuel and the pilot's decision to drink and fly.
The NTSB investigation indicates the Mooney M20E plane ran out of fuel while the pilot, 50-year-old Doug Morgan, was searching for an airport.
Morgan told NTSB investigators he experienced a technical problem while approaching to land, then flew for another two hours while searching for another place to land, according to the report.
He had to make a forced landing when the plane ran out of fuel.
NTSB concluded the probable cause to be "the total loss of engine power due to fuel exhaustion, which resulted from the noncurrent pilot's improper in-flight fuel management and decision-making and his decision to conduct the flight after consuming alcohol."
The report further indicates the pilot entered air space and conditions without clearance and the plane did not have a current annual inspection.
The plane struck power lines on the way down and more than 1,100 Dayton Power & Light customers lost power as a result of the crash."

Amazing nobody was seriously hurt.

Because that Mooney was damaged in a flood and was rebuilt by a company in TN. It was sold and became the subejct of this accident.

I thought this was going to be about a Mooney crashing into a submarine. :confused:

Because that Mooney was damaged in a flood and was rebuilt by a company in TN. It was sold and became the subejct of this accident.

I may be wrong on this one. It may have been crashed in water and then rebuilt. Either way it was definitely in water, rebuilt and then resold as N199Q.

It was the subject of a thread on the Red Board. There was a gentleman (Jeff King) who saw it listed without the damage history (I think on Ebay) and he called the seller out on it. He is the one who gave it the nickname, I believe. Later, after it sold, the plane showed up in the news due to this incident, but the moniker stuck.

I have nothing nice to say about this.

I keep up with the annual on the airplane, my medical, my BFR, and I also wait 8 hours after having my occasional one glass of red wine to put my hand to the airplane's throttle. (8 hours bottle to throttle).

Too bad that the submarine Mooney didn't feel like following those rules.

I spoke with the fella that did the last annual on that airplane. He actually bought it once it was cleared from the investigation and is parting it out right now. It was in purdy bad shape.

Some real bad decision making right there. Makes you wonder how many times he has done this in the past?

I spoke with the fella that did the last annual on that airplane. He actually bought it once it was cleared from the investigation and is parting it out right now. It was in purdy bad shape.

Some real bad decision making right there. Makes you wonder how many times he has done this in the past?

It is possible that he had a habit of just doing his own thing and ignoring the rules.

The funniest thing is the aircraft had an unbelievable avionics stack with really a really nice IFR GPS combo. It's possible that none of the stuff worked after the dunking, but then why purchase the aircraft? He should have just been able to punch the "nearest" button or its equivalent if he was lost. Way, way, way stupid.

The aircraft's home base went underwater in a flood. The Ebay seller repainted it, gave it a new tail number and then just put it on Ebay. I actually asked him about what had been done to inspect and refurbish the airframe, to no reply. And now he's going to get away with it because if this maroon.

What a story ... terrible when you have an accident chain that difficult to break:mad2::lol:

Back