NTSB prelim report on the CJ2 that went swimming at Atlantic City

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
For those who remember the CJ2 that ran off the runway at Atlantic City's Bader Field around Mother's Day, the NTSB preliminary report is out.

The pilot had originally reported the brakes failed. The NTSB says the brakes worked fine, but could not test the anti-skid system. Tread marks started about 2/3's of the way down the runway, and witnesses had earlier reported the tires smoking. Sounds to me like he locked the brakes up, or they were getting hot. Either way, I can see how a scared pilot would interpret that feeling as a brake failure.

In any case, the brakes weren't going to be stopping him on the runway. First, he chose to try to land an airplane that book numbers said was going to need 2930 feet on a 2948 foot runway. Second, he chose to land on Rwy 11. Winds at Atlantic City International were from 280 at 9 knots. Now the book says he needed 3,500 feet. Third, he touched down about halfway down the already too short runway. Airplane goes swimming :(

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20050526X00676&key=1

Bad decision. Should have opted for a go around (Of course, had he paid attention to detail, he never would have been there). It was the pilots fault they went swimming.

what I don't get is how they could have flown around the airport and checked the windsock without seeing that they were at the wrong airport? Even though they should have known anyways, but if it was just a straight in, I suppose I can see the mistake, but that's kinda ridiculous.

NickDBrennan said:
what I don't get is how they could have flown around the airport and checked the windsock without seeing that they were at the wrong airport? Even though they should have known anyways, but if it was just a straight in, I suppose I can see the mistake, but that's kinda ridiculous.

I wonder if he even knew that Atlantic City has two airports. It's possible that he found Atlantic City, found an airport, and said "That must be it!" It's also possible that he intended to land at Bader Field all along, and thought he could squeeze it in. I've not yet read anything official saying the pilot didn't land at the field he intended to. That's the only way I can understand this accident, though. I really don't want to believe that a pilot thought a runway 18 feet longer than the book called for was an adequate safety margin.

Even worse, jets are banned at Bader.

Back