Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Washington, DC - The National Transportation Safety Board today
issued an urgent safety recommendation to the Federal Aviation
Administration (FAA) in which it asked the agency to prohibit
further flight of a type of a small airplane that has been involved in
six in-flight structural breakups since 2006.

The recommendations apply to the Zodiac CH-601XL, a low-wing,
fixed-gear, single- engine, two-seat general aviation airplane
designed by Zenair, Inc. In its urgent safety recommendation, the
Board cited four accidents in the United States and two in Europe
in which the CH-601XL broke up in-flight killing a total of ten
people. Aerodynamic flutter - a phenomenon in which the control
surfaces of the airplane can suddenly vibrate, and if unmitigated,
can lead to catastrophic structural failure - is suspected in all of
the accidents.

The CH-601XL was certified as a Special Light Sport Aircraft (S-
LSA) by the FAA in 2005. This type of certification does not require
that the FAA approve the airplane’s design. Instead, the airplane
model is issued an airworthiness certificate if the manufacturer
asserts that the plane meets industry accepted design standards
and has passed a series ground and flight tests.

The Safety Board’s urgent recommendation to the FAA is to
prohibit further flight of the Zodiac CH-601XL until they can
determine that the airplane is no longer susceptible to
aerodynamic flutter. The Safety Board’s investigations of the
accidents that occurred in the U.S. point to a problem with the
design of the flight control system, which makes the airplane
susceptible to flutter.

“The NTSB does not often recommend that all airplanes of a
particular type be prohibited from further flight,” said NTSB Acting
Chairman Mark V. Rosenker. “In this case, we believe such action
will save lives. Unless the safety issues with this particular Zodiac
model are addressed, we are likely to see more accidents in which
pilots and passengers are killed in airplanes that they believed
were safe to fly.”

The Board also found that the stick force gradient - a measure of
the force applied to the control stick and the increase in lift that
results - was not uniform throughout the range of motion,
particularly at high vertical accelerations or Gs. The lessening of
the gradient at high Gs could make the airplane susceptible to
being inadvertently over-controlled by the pilot, which could create
a condition in which the airplane is stressed beyond its design
limits leading to an in-flight structural failure.

In addition, problems with the airspeed indication system were
identified. Errors with the correlation between the actual airspeed
of the airplane and that shown on the instruments in the cockpit
could result in the airplane being piloted at airspeeds exceeding
design limits, which could compromise the plane’s structural
integrity. While the airspeed indication issue has not been linked
to any accidents, the Safety Board believes that this is a safety-of-
flight issue that should be corrected.

The date, location and circumstances of the six accidents the
Board cited in which the CH-601XL suffered in-flight structural
failures are as follows: On February 8, 2006, near Oakdale,
California, a CH-601XL crashed after its wings collapsed (two
fatalities). On November 4, 2006, a CH-601XL broke up in flight
while cruising near Yuba City, California (two fatalities). On
February 5, 2008, a CH-601XL crashed near Barcelona, Spain,
after its wings folded up during a descent shortly before landing
(two fatalities). On April 7, 2008, a CH-601XL broke up in flight
near Polk City, Florida (one fatality). On September 14, 2008, a
CH-601XL crashed in the Netherlands (two fatalities). On March 3,
2009, a CH-601XL broke up in flight while cruising near Antelope
Island, Utah (one fatality).

In addition to the urgent recommendation to the FAA on
prohibiting further flight of the Zodiac CH 601XL, the Safety Board
issued the following seven additional recommendations to the
FAA: 1) make a comprehensive evaluation of the wing and aileron
system on the Zodiac CH 601XL to identify design and/or
operational changes that will reduce the potential for flutter; 2)
notify owners of Zodiac CH-601XLs of any design and/or
operational changes to the CH 601XL and require them to
implement the changes; 3) work with ASTM International to
incorporate standards for light sport airplanes that would reduce
the likelihood of encountering in-flight flutter; 4) evaluate the stick
force gradient at the aft center of gravity and especially at the
higher Gs, and notify pilots of such effects; 5) develop standards
on stick force characteristics for light sport airplanes that minimize
the possibility of pilot’s inadvertently over-controlling the airplane;
6) ensure that the pilot’s airspeed indicator accurately reflects the
Plane’s velocity and update pilot operating handbooks (POHs)
accordingly; and 7) work with ASTM International to ensure
standards for light sport airplanes result in accurate airspeed
indications and appropriate documentation in new airplane pilot
operating handbooks.

The Board’s investigations have identified several areas in which
the design standards for light sport airplanes were deficient. ASTM
International provides the standards that are developed by industry
working groups. The NTSB has asked the ATSM to take the
following actions: 1) Add requirements to ensure the standards for
light sport airplanes reduce the potential for aerodynamic flutter to
develop; 2) develop standards on stick force characteristics for light
sport airplanes that minimize the possibility of pilot’s inadvertently
over-controlling the airplane; and 3) ensure standards for light
sport airplanes result in accurate airspeed indications and
appropriate documentation in new airplane pilot operating
handbooks.

So it's not just me? I thought it seemed like there were a lot of those suffering mid-air failures. That stinks for Zodiac. It'll be interesting to hear Chris Heintz's response, although it'll probably be the lawyers doing the talking.

This is indeed the aircraft I own.

Tim, where'd you hear about this? I'm curious; I only heard about it (directly from the Zenith Builder's Analysis Group, a group of folks who banded together to organize and finance an independent study of the Zodiac, of which I'm a member) about an hour ago.

Unless and until the FAA (or the manufacturer, since their recommendations carry the force of law for an SLSA) says differently, I intend to continue to fly mine. I regularly check the aileron control and balance cable tensions per the manufacturer's recommendations, and making sure there's tension there is a preflight item for me. (It's an easy check, since they can be reached simply by folding the seat backs forward.)

Anyone know how often, and how quickly, the FAA follows NTSB's recommendations labeled "urgent"?

Jay,

has your group gotten anyone lined up to do testing yet?

has your group gotten anyone lined up to do testing yet?
No.

Zenair Europe has agreed to do ground vibration testing of the European version of the 601XL, but that's a different design in some areas, since European microlights are limited to 450 kg (990 pounds) max gross, and the UK version is limited to 560 kg (1234 pounds). They did that because the British are insisting on it before allowing the fleet to fly again there. So far, Zenair has resisted running GVT on the US 1320 pound version, saying it meets the ASTM standards.

(For those of you not familiar with the idea, flutter analysis of an aircraft can be done with a good computer simulation, but it's only approximate unless real data are gathered about the aircraft's actual response to vibration. This is done by attaching sensors to the structure and then applying vibration to various points, then seeing how the vibrations are transmitted. It's a nondestructive test. I've offered my aircraft as a test subject.)

It'll be interesting to hear Chris Heintz's response, although it'll probably be the lawyers doing the talking.
I do know that AMD, Sebastien Heintz of Zenair, and CZAW were sent copies of the original recommendation letters at the same time that the FAA and ASTM got theirs. I would expect to see published replies quickly from the Heintzes, at least.

This is indeed the aircraft I own.

Tim, where'd you hear about this? I'm curious; I only heard about it (directly from the Zenith Builder's Analysis Group, a group of folks who banded together to organize and finance an independent study of the Zodiac, of which I'm a member) about an hour ago
Anyone know how often, and how quickly, the FAA follows NTSB's recommendations labeled "urgent"?

Sometimes the FAA essentially says "Nope".

I got this from the NTSB - I'm suscribed to several of their PR feeds. I generally get this kind of stuff the same time as the press corps.

Looks like Zodiac owners might be in the middle of another FAA-NTSB micturation competition. From AVweb:

The FAA is already looking into concerns about all versions of the Zodiac aircraft, which were raised at an industry meeting back in February, FAA spokeswoman Laura J. Brown told AVweb on Tuesday, but she added that the agency has no immediate plans to call for the airplanes to be grounded. "The manufacturer already has told owners to check the aileron control cable tensions," she said. The FAA has formed a special review team with members from the FAA and the industry to investigate the problem. Brown added that the FAA has told the ASTM that it should conduct a review of its LSA standards regarding aerodynamic flutter.

Like Jay, this directly affects me. I'm taking my sport pilot training in an AMD 601XL. I'm not sure what to make of this. On the one hand, the issue is allegedly directly related to aileron cable tension. On the other hand, what if there are other issues involved?

I want to keep flying the Zodiac, since I'm at least halfway through my training and about to solo. But I want to be safe, and would prefer not to die screaming as I plunge 3500 feet to the earth in a twisted piece of metal.

I'm definitely going to continue my sport pilot training, I just have not decided if I'll do so in the Zodiac. I'm thinking I might take a week or two and go to Lockwood Aviation in Florida and knock it out in a Tecnam.

Sigh.

I want to keep flying the Zodiac, since I'm at least halfway through my training and about to solo. But I want to be safe, and would prefer not to die screaming as I plunge 3500 feet to the earth in a twisted piece of metal.
Before you switch airplanes and/or FBOs, I'd suggest talking to your instructor and your FBO to see what their approach to the issue will be. If they're just sticking their head in the sand and not taking any action at all, it's time to go elsewhere. OTOH, if they're actively keeping an eye on aileron cable tension and staying on top of the rest of the maintenance any aircraft needs, I'd stick with it.

I'm persuaded that proper aileron cable tension will keep flutter at bay. The reason it's not considered an acceptable means of protection by itself is that cables stretch over time, and so it requires active maintenance. While a permanent fix is being researched, as long as the cables are kept taut, and as long as you stay within the aircraft's performance envelope, I believe it'll be fine. If I didn't, I wouldn't keep flying mine.

That sucks Jay. I hope they find a fix and you're not grounded. Wow, that would really hurt. Did you build this plane yourself?

That sucks Jay. I hope they find a fix and you're not grounded. Wow, that would really hurt.
I do, too. OTOH, the FAA does not appear to be thinking about grounding the type.

Did you build this plane yourself?
Nope. I purchased my SLSA new from AMD in June of last year, and have put just over 150 hours on it since then.

I'd love to build an airplane, but I just don't have the time to devote to it.

im afraid that this is going to create a stigma around the type. Unfortunate, but many pilots will know nothing about the Zodiac CH601XL except that the the ailerons flutter and then you die. I hope your group can do something to help eliminate that Jay.

I do, too. OTOH, the FAA does not appear to be thinking about grounding the type.

Well that is good news at least.

I'd love to build an airplane, but I just don't have the time to devote to it.

I hear ya. I'd love to have an RV-7, but building one is just not in the cards.

im afraid that this is going to create a stigma around the type. Unfortunate, but many pilots will know nothing about the Zodiac CH601XL except that the the ailerons flutter and then you die. I hope your group can do something to help eliminate that Jay.
I can already hear it now...the Zodiac Killer

It'll be just like the TraumaHawk was for Piper.

The Lancair 320/360 has a reputation for tail flutter. Similar "tail flutters and then you die" sort of deal. I think it will stil be alright, though, since people with brains will work to disspell the myths.

since people with brains will work to disspell the myths.
Yeah that's rich! Sure Ted. You know I watch the news and spend time in the SZ. The amount of myths that people perpetuate that are garbage is utterly amazing.

I gotta disagree. The Zodiac will get a bad rap and will be fighting it forever.

I'm persuaded that proper aileron cable tension will keep flutter at bay. The reason it's not considered an acceptable means of protection by itself is that cables stretch over time, and so it requires active maintenance. While a permanent fix is being researched, as long as the cables are kept taut, and as long as you stay within the aircraft's performance envelope, I believe it'll be fine. If I didn't, I wouldn't keep flying mine.

I'm glad you're comfortable. There were enough warnings in that ASTM letter that I'd be more nervous that even properly tensioned cables are sufficient. Besides comments about aircraft that suffered failures when cable tension had been measured as "in-spec" a mere six hours before the accident, there were comments like this:

A ZBAG engineer modeled the structure and flutter characteristics of the Zodiac CH-601XL and has expressed concern to Safety Board investigators that cable tension alone, even if correct, may not provide adequate flutter protection. The modeling is somewhat limited because there was no ground vibration test of the airframe, which would have provided additional data to refine the analytical model so that it would represent the airplane more accurately. However, even without these data, the model appears to be sufficient to identify concerns regarding flutter. The model indicates that flutter may be possible in the speed ranges in which CH-601XLs are certificated to operate. The model also indicates that mass balancing the ailerons would provide significant protection from flutter.

Do you know if the aileron's aren't mass balanced due to the additional weight it would impose?? Sounds like that'd be the simple fix. Also glad to hear that they plan to do an GVT; it will provide much more data.

In any case, if I owned one and chose to fly it, I'd just keep the speeds down--those reports seemed to indicate that the higher airspeeds, while within the range of the certified speeds, initiate the flutter sequence.

Besides comments about aircraft that suffered failures when cable tension had been measured as "in-spec" a mere six hours before the accident
That accident was the one at Antelope Island, Utah (in the Great Salt Lake). The investigation is in its early stages, and the effect of weather - especially heavy turbulence around the island, something that's apparently quite common - hasn't been examined in any detail to the best of my knowledge.

Do you know if the aileron's aren't mass balanced due to the additional weight it would impose?? Sounds like that'd be the simple fix.
It's not a weight issue, as I expect that the ailerons could be balanced with no more than five pounds total weight. There's a bigger question: Where do the balance weights go? The hinge is the forward-most part of the aileron. Therefore, a balance weight would have to be added on some sort of a post arrangement ahead of the aileron. Where does that go? Inside the wing wouldn't work, simply because the aileron deflection is too great to allow a weight to swing entirely within the wing. Cutting a slot in the wing seems the most appropriate answer, but that, in turn, needs to be thoroughly engineered.

I think they hadn't mass balanced the ailerons simply because they felt it wasn't needed. There are plenty of aircraft flying with unbalanced ailerons, after all.

Also glad to hear that they plan to do an GVT; it will provide much more data.
They're planning to do (or have already done) a GVT on the European version. The last I'd heard, they were not planning to do similar tests on the American version; my biggest hope out of the whole controversy is that GVT will be done on the American aircraft as well, and the results fed back into the flutter model that one of the ZBAG engineers worked up.

In any case, if I owned one and chose to fly it, I'd just keep the speeds down--those reports seemed to indicate that the higher airspeeds, while within the range of the certified speeds, initiate the flutter sequence.
The top of the green arc is 108 KIAS. I like to cruise high, so it turns out to run right in the neighborhood of 100 KIAS. I don't plan to change that.

Last edited:
I gotta disagree. The Zodiac will get a bad rap and will be fighting it forever.
The closest parallel I can draw is with the early V-tail Bonanzas, which also had flutter problems. Once those problems were quantified and a proper fix developed, that reputation went away. Their reputation as fork-tailed doctor killers stuck around, of course, but the structural soundness of the design hasn't been in question for many years.

The closest parallel I can draw is with the early V-tail Bonanzas, which also had flutter problems. Once those problems were quantified and a proper fix developed, that reputation went away. Their reputation as fork-tailed doctor killers stuck around, of course, but the structural soundness of the design hasn't been in question for many years.
I dunno Jay. I just heard from a guy last week if my plane was one of the v-tailed ones that ALWAYS crash.

Maybe that is the dr. killer rep or maybe the tail issue. I am not sure.

I hope that you plane does not get a bad rap. But there are already people lining up to bad rap anything sport pilot and this could just give them something to grab onto for a long while.

Maybe you should get yourself a BRS ??!!! ;)

But there are already people lining up to bad rap anything sport pilot and this could just give them something to grab onto for a long while.
It could, yeah; we need look no farther than some of the discussions on this very system to see that. I'm not concerned about what such uninformed ignoramuses think.

Maybe you should get yourself a BRS ??!!! ;)
It's available for the Zodiac, but it costs 40 pounds of useful load. If the FAA had decided to exempt the weight of a BRS from the 1320 pound max gross limit, I'd have bought one...but the tradeoff was just too steep for an aircraft that has a 470 pound useful load as it is.

Before you switch airplanes and/or FBOs, I'd suggest talking to your instructor and your FBO to see what their approach to the issue will be. If they're just sticking their head in the sand and not taking any action at all, it's time to go elsewhere. OTOH, if they're actively keeping an eye on aileron cable tension and staying on top of the rest of the maintenance any aircraft needs, I'd stick with it.

Good advice. How does one go about checking the cable tension? If I knew I could check it during preflight and be a little less concerned.

The top of the green arc is 108 KIAS. I like to cruise high, so it turns out to run right in the neighborhood of 100 KIAS. I don't plan to change that.

In the training plane I've been flying, we keep the speeds under 95 knots generally...I've seen 100+ only a few times, and usually due to poor speed control on my part. Is flutter ONLY a problem at higher speeds? Any guesses what the lower limit would be?

Last edited:
Good advice. How does one go about checking the cable tension? If I knew I could check it during preflight and be a little less concerned.
You can verify the cables aren't floppy loose during preflight easily: just flop the seat backs forward, and the aileron cables run across the fuselage right below and behind the seats. There are three cables to check, one each way from the control tube (that's tied to the sticks), and one running all the way across. If they have as much tension as the rudder cables, then you probably won't have a problem.

Measuring the cable tension requires a tensiometer, a piece of equipment the FBO may or may not have. It takes a bit of extra work, in that you have to measure the tension at the proper location. I don't believe it's necessary on every preflight, especially on an AMD aircraft (which uses cables that are pre-stretched at the factory, unlike most homebuilts), but it should be done at regular intervals. The aileron cables should be set to 30+/-5 pounds of tension, according to the AMD safety bulletin on the subject.

In the training plane I've been flying, we keep the speeds under 95 knots generally...I've seen 100+ only a few times, and usually due to poor speed control on my part.
Yeah, this makes sense, since most of the maneuvering you do during training is done at or below the Zodiac's 90 KIAS (at max gross) maneuvering speed, and even slower in the pattern.

Is flutter ONLY a problem at higher speeds? Any guesses what the lower limit would be?
Typically, flutter only happens at the upper end of the aircraft's performance envelope. The proper reaction to flutter developing is to slow down. The Germans have imposed a Vne of 97 KIAS on the European Zodiac while the issue is being researched in an effort to avoid the problem entirely. I don't know where they came up with this number, or how reasonable it actually is.

Last edited:
I dunno Jay. I just heard from a guy last week if my plane was one of the v-tailed ones that ALWAYS crash.

Maybe that is the dr. killer rep or maybe the tail issue. I am not sure.

Maybe this is the time to get things a bit more out in the open. Does the aircraft require a Doctor to be aboard in order to crash? Does the Doctor have to be a medical doctor or dentist? What about optometrists? Ok, the really important one, what about Doctors of Philosophy?

Now one might think the posed questions are pointless and innane and perhaps they are. However, my hangar mate intends to buy a Bonanza and I'd like to get these things clarified. It's a pretty simple question: should I ever take a ride in a Bonanza (or Aerostar or Cirrus). I'd hate for my degree to activate some sort of sensor which then trips the crash=permissible switch. :D

Well, the first real result of the NTSB report has happened: the DPE I was going to take my CFI-SP checkride with tomorrow postponed it until the issue is resolved. We talked about it for a while, and I explained what I knew about the issue; she said she'd think about it some more and let me know.

I've spent six months getting ready for the checkride. Now, I have no idea when, or if, I'll be able to get it done.

I've got lots of words to use for the situation. None of them are usable on this forum.

I can understand your frustration, Jay... that would be highly aggravating. Let us know how it works out.

The irresponsible acts of the NTSB here are causing hardship to pilots in the United States without real evidence, and that's disgusting....

Where's AOPA on this one...

That's a really tough break Jay. I'm sorry to hear it. Hang in there, consider plan b and c. You are gonna get that ride done!

Well, the first real result of the NTSB report has happened: the DPE I was going to take my CFI-SP checkride with tomorrow postponed it until the issue is resolved. We talked about it for a while, and I explained what I knew about the issue; she said she'd think about it some more and let me know.

I've spent six months getting ready for the checkride. Now, I have no idea when, or if, I'll be able to get it done.

I've got lots of words to use for the situation. None of them are usable on this forum.

Jay, I'm sorry this is happening and hope it's resolved soon. Hang in there.

Back