NPRM process is too unweildly for ammending AMT curriculum :stirpot:

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by airheadpenguin, Nov 5, 2015.

1. airheadpenguin

airheadpenguin Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    airheadpenguin
    I got this today from FaaSafey.gov

FAA Issues NPRM on Modernizing AMT School Curriculum. Apparently they feel that the NPRM process is too unweildly for outlining curriculum for AMTs and are moving it into the OpSpec rather than the Part 43 appendices.

I'm intrigued by this since I would think training curriculum should be updated at most once yearly and uniform. This seems to be paving the way for wildly different opspecs depending on the FSDO involved. The NPRM with public comment process seems well adapted to that pace. Can someone with more insight shed some light on this?

2. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Trying to figure out the cultural reasons why most agencies do just fine with the NPRM process and FAA feels that they're above it, is an exercise in futility.

3. wsuffa

wsuffa Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill S.
    I submit to you that the FCC's process is anything but responsive.

4. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    The FAA doesn't believe in transparency. Much effort of late to avoid event he existing illusion of public process on rulemaking.

5. yetti

yetti Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Yetti
    It is possible that they could be talking about specialization of training. Does an A need to know how to tie fabric to ribs or just enough to know that they should not try it and seek out someone that can do it properly.

6. airheadpenguin

airheadpenguin Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    airheadpenguin
    One option is that it gives the opportunity going forward for specialty endorsements. You would still expect that an A has a baseline of skills that they can perform coming from school. After that they would obviously become more familiar with the tasks that they regularly do. I wouldn't have a 737 A work on my cub in most cases.

Would this lessen the training requirement eventually sot hat you could be a light aircraft A in less time.

7. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot

I submit that I was referring to when the agency themselves wants to do something they at least follow the process. And they do usually publish responses to the comments in those cases.

(Which is where FAA claims to be in this one. They started the change. As far as responding to changes others want, neither are very good at that without a nudge from a paid off politician or three. ;) )