Now THAT's Service

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Yesterday I left work early and headed over to the Wichita FSDO. Yes, under my own free will, I walked into the FSDO. I wanted to get a change to the Operating Limitations on my glider. Right now I'm tied to having all instruments required by 91.205, even during day, VFR, which is not typical for experimentals. Plus 91.205 doesnt even apply to gliders. So anyway I was asking for a change to the standard instrument requirement operating limitation. I typed up a nice one page letter describing what I currently had in my operating limitations and what i wanted to change that to, including references into the FAA guidance, 8130.2f I think, where I found the limitation. Also gave them my current airworthiness certificate along with current operating limitations, a copy of my registration, and a new application for an airworthiness form. In other words, I had called ahead, talked to a maintenance inspector, and had my ducks in a row.

I visited with one of the other maintenance inspectors about 20 minutes about it. We made sure all my paperwork was in order. He said that either he or the other guy would do it, and they'd let me know when it was done. I was really hoping it would be done by next friday so that I can fly the glider over Memorial Day weekend.

He calls today, wants to change my Phase I operating area to the Sunflower Gliderport up by Hutchinson. Im confused at first,because I'm not operating in Phase I, which is the initial flight test time. Then I realize that he just wants to do that so that if I make a major alteration or anything to the glider Im not stuck taking it back to Ames (or making another paperwork change) to do the flight test. Alright that sounds fine.

Then he says "hopefully we'll have this finished today, I'll let you know"

AWESOME!

he just called. Paperwork is finished!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: despite all the bad press, I have generally been pleased with the service I've gotten from the FAA.

Awesome that you got all this done so easily and so fast!

Good on yah.

If any FSDO in the country should know how to do the paperwork, ICT should be it.

Good on yah.

If any FSDO in the country should know how to do the paperwork, ICT should be it.

yes. although. there has been a Stearman in the shop here for about a month. It took 2 days to install a new engine on it. Instead of the original 220 HP continental they put on a 240 HP continental. I think it had slighty different cylinders or something. They are having a hell of a time with the paperwork. Apparently (surprisingly) it hasn't been done before so they need to work it through on a 337 I guess.

A purist would be aghast to see a Stearman so defiled!

Major alterations do take more head scratching.

yes. although. there has been a Stearman in the shop here for about a month. It took 2 days to install a new engine on it. Instead of the original 220 HP continental they put on a 240 HP continental. I think it had slighty different cylinders or something. They are having a hell of a time with the paperwork. Apparently (surprisingly) it hasn't been done before so they need to work it through on a 337 I guess.

it is a very nice stearman. Navy paint job. very clean, and with a shiny new engine on it that doesnt even leak oil! yes, the engine has oil in it...

When I visted DuPage FSDO merely to get my new airworthiness for the new N-number I was more nervous than my checkride. :dunno:

....It didn't add to my confidence listening to the veteran pilot telling them about his emergency and crash at DPA days before...even though they were discussing it as if it was routine.

it is a very nice stearman. Navy paint job. very clean, and with a shiny new engine on it that doesnt even leak oil! yes, the engine has oil in it...

Two questions. Has it been run yet? If not, wait until it has an hour or so on it before claiming lead free. :D

Does it have a constant speed prop on it? If so, the dirty bums stole an engine that SHOULD be on a Cessna 190. :mad3: :smile:

lol greg, I *think* its fixed pitch. the engine was straight from tulsa, looked brand new. (of course I know that it isnt)

Great Tony,
I look forward to hearing about your Cherokee flights soon!

They may be in for a long winter. The FSDO's ability (or willingness to use it) regarding any power increase has totally evaporated at all we have queried. We learned the hard way after they told us they would approve a one-time STC for a 200A in our L2 based on data from one that has been flying in NC for 13 years. So we restored the airplane based on those representations. Guess what?

Back