Now THAT'S a fish!! [NA]

Amazing, truly amazing. How would one just happen to have a strong enough line and or rod to pull something like that in, just from fishing in a river??

That's pure luck in my eyes.

In the olden days down in the coastal rivers and swamps of North Carolina (God, I love that place) we used to use a fish stringer and ivory soap. The stringer was made of chain and the hooks were unclipped into the open position with small chunks of ivory soap as floating bait. The stringer was secured at both ends across the mouth of a stream or some other likely place.

Being the little brother it was my job to climb out of the boat and hammer stakes into the mud to secure the stringer. Sometimes, with enough fish pulling on the line, the stringer would never again be found. We'd let the stringer soak while we went off in search of crawdads.

sniff, now I'm pining for those Carolina pines.

In Oklahoma, at Grand lake where are lake house is, there have been huge catfish caught, they are flatheads though!! Unreal the pictures of em'. THey look like sharks hanging there!

That is one BIG fish alright! When I was a kid living in Pensacola we used to go camping and fishing in the Tensaw River in Alabama. It was a mostly shallow river except for the deep side that was dredged for storing old freighters destined for the scrap yards in Mobile. It was not unusual for 40-50 pound channel cats to be caught among the creeking and groaning ships at night. We would often go "jug" fishing at night on the shallower side of the river. We'd put out a few dozen empty milk jugs with 3-4 feet of line with a hook baited with cow tongue. Every so often a jug would go bobbing off with a catfish or eel on the line. Everyone at the campground we went to would fish all weekend and on Sunday afternoon the whole campground would have a big fishfry. All the fried fish, hushpuppies, grits and watermelon you could eat! God, I loved that place and that time! :) :) :) :yes:

Joe Williams said:
A 58 inch, 124 pound blue catfish. That'll fill the meat freezer!

"Oh, honey, what's for dinner?"

"um, Catfish, dear."

"Didn't we have catfish last nite?"

"um, no dear, that was Katzenfische..."

"oh, in that case, Catfish is fine..."

"unless, dear, you'd rather have catfish?"

how many ways can one make catfish? battered, fried, broached, baked, grilled, blackened, soup.....

sierra said:
how many ways can one make catfish? battered, fried, broached, baked, grilled, blackened, soup.....

with sweet tea, of course...

Back