NOW it's official!

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
It's done, and the info is here

AirNav and the AFD haven't been updated yet, but as the new airport manager I am saying it is open for public use. The comments in the AFD and on AirNav are not entirely accurate regarding the runway condition. I give it a fair-good rating other than the note listed below. I've flown my Cherokee 180 in and out of there at 2100# and 80º with no issues.

Other info about the airport:
  • The airfield has been in existance for over 73 years.
  • One of the only airports in the Western U.P. that a pilot can stop and get food. (Cafe Style Restaurant within 2 blocks of the field)
  • Recreational use: 82% of the surrounding area is Ottawa National Forest land. Plenty of fishing, hunting, hiking (Sturgeon River Gorge Wilderness Area) and camping.
  • Adjacent Lodging (improved cabins)
  • Adjacent and additional camping sites (onsite rustic, adjacent improved, and many other campgrounds close by)
  • A pilots lounge has been ordered and will hopefully be in place by July
  • We will be getting sanitary facilities by the end of the year, although there are facilites available adjacent to the property now.
  • A new windsock has been put in place.
  • The first 150' of the east end of the runway was rough and is being worked on now to smooth and re-seed
  • We have at present an additional 300ft on the west end that will be used for runway extension
  • There is approximately 650ft to the east that we will try and negotiate to purchase to extend the runway further.
  • Future plans include a 40 x 60 hangar and make additional land available to lease out for other hangars.
  • 100LL fuel may be available in the near future.

Way to go ED!!!! Get with Paulo at AirNav and get that listing UPdated. GOOD JOB!!!!!

Beh -

They want $62 bucks for me to list it!

Cool! Sounds like a place we need to add to our list.

Congrats, Ed! :cheers:

Yay, Ed. I look forward to 1) finding the aprt 2) landing at same.

Maybe we should pass the collection plate for Ed.

Richard said:
Yay, Ed. I look forward to 1) finding the aprt 2) landing at same.

Maybe we should pass the collection plate for Ed.

Or we could complain to airnav that they aren't serving our needs as pilots, and as such we'll find another service.

wbarnhill said:
Or we could complain to airnav that they aren't serving our needs as pilots, and as such we'll find another service.

AirNav has to get funding somehow. If not from the FBOs and other business wanting a listing, also called advertising, then from us the user through subscription fees.

We should pass the hat for Ed at the outing and collect money for the listing.

smigaldi said:
AirNav has to get funding somehow. If not from the FBOs and other business wanting a listing, also called advertising, then from us the user through subscription fees.

We should pass the hat for Ed at the outing and collect money for the listing.

I suppose, I just would hate to think that information on AirNav could easily become outdated, which then ruins the business model anyway.

Though I guess it becomes a little obvious when you see fuel prices from 2001.

AirNav is a $50 one time set up fee for the service, and $12 yearly to keep listed - even though I am not listing a business.

so then if airnav requires payment, it may have outdated info. I don't like that at all.

There really isn't all that much to Airnav. It's also slow as all get out sometimes.

Wouldn't be too hard to build a competeing service that was funded by Adwords...The operator would make money. Pilots and businesses could add themselves at no cost.

Too bad I don't really have the time to launch such a project right now.

Back