Now, For Something Completely Different!

Gary

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
Woxall, PA is a pretty quiet place, so it caused considerable excitement to have a Blackhawk land in Bob Miller's hayfield at the end of my street! I'm not sure of all the details of how this developed and what approvals were needed, but it was an awesome sight to see that Blackhawk make a low approach then in for the landing. Most of our "town" turned out as well as the Fire Dept. (both trucks!) The crew was more than gracious in showing off the Blackhawk and letting everyone get up close and personal. All the kids and adults got to sit in the seats and make flying noises. I believe they were out of MacArthur on Long Island, but I'm not sure. Really turned out to be an community party and a lot of fun. Some good public relations for this trip!

Pretty impressive piece of equipment, but there sure are a whole bunch of parts that all spin around awful fast!

Gary

Attachments

• Approach.JPG
    Approach.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Blackhawk Down.JPG
    Blackhawk Down.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Crew.JPG
    Crew.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Block Party 2.JPG
    Block Party 2.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Hayfield.jpg
    Hayfield.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Not a Cherokee Panel.JPG
    Not a Cherokee Panel.JPG
    468.9 KB · Views: 31
Now that is domething completely different, Gary :)

Actually, in PA, if there's no local law against helicopter landings, all you need is the permission of the landowner.

The "low approach" is part of the off airport protocol. You make a high recon, then a low recon to look for wires and obstacles and to choose a touchdown spot (or reject a landing).

Nice pics by the way :yes:

Last edited:
RotaryWingBob said:
Actually, in PA, if there's no local law against helicopter landings, all you need is the permission of the landowner.

Interesting that you mention that. A few years ago when I was on the planning commission, we were doing a major re-write of the zoning code and one of the members wanted a provision that would prohibit either helo landings OR ANY type of airfield being built in the township. Luckily there was enough support from the other members of the board to get it removed from discussion. Now all I need is enough money and flat ground.....:D

Gary said:
Interesting that you mention that. A few years ago when I was on the planning commission, we were doing a major re-write of the zoning code and one of the members wanted a provision that would prohibit either helo landings OR ANY type of airfield being built in the township. Luckily there was enough support from the other members of the board to get it removed from discussion. Now all I need is enough money and flat ground.....:D
A nice concrete pad will fix the flat ground problem :yes:

I had to look up where Woxall is! I must have flown just to the north of you on Tuesday en route to N40 -- I passed just to the north of Nockamixon (sp?) on a 040 heading as I recall.

Gary,

Very cool! Why did they land there?

The pics make me a little homesick.

Gary,

Did I hear correctly that you were holding back the kids from getting in the blackhawk so you would be the only one making the flying noises:)

Great pictures must have been cool.

Bob

Back