NOTAM access (other than pilotweb)?

pbucko

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pbucko
I'm looking for a (free) source for NOTAMs, other than DUAT, AOPA and FAA's Pilotweb (pilotweb.nas.faa.gov). Essentially, I'm trying to retrieve raw notam information for further processing & display. This would support flight planning, as part of my website, maps.AvnWx.com. (How can I suggest a runway, if I can't tell the user it's NOTAM'd??)

I had access via NAIMES, but that doesn't provide good computer-to-computer access. I see for $$$ I can buy a service from Jep, but I don't have $$$.

Any ideas? Ideally, simple ftp access, or XML queries, whatever -- something a computer would understand.

-Peter Buckner
Aviation Weather
maps.AvnWx.com

Scott and I are on the same page; however, you should be aware that smaller airports that DoD doesn't use don't always have their NOTAMs show up, so it might not fit your purposes. Judicious testing would be advisable.

Wow posted that almost at the same time. But you beat me to the punch. There are some link to utilities that may be helpful to him from that JCS page.

JCS specifically disallows screen scraping, and indicates it is for use by DoD only.... While I'd assume they don't care if one casually uses the site for GA purposes, I don't think it will work for me.

Certainly, all these query engines & graphic representations have a _source_... where is that? <sigh>

-Peter Buckner
maps.AvnWx.com

JCS specifically disallows screen scraping, and indicates it is for use by DoD only.... While I'd assume they don't care if one casually uses the site for GA purposes, I don't think it will work for me.

Certainly, all these query engines & graphic representations have a _source_... where is that? <sigh>

-Peter Buckner
maps.AvnWx.com

Both RTFP and GoldenEagle use DUATS. You get a briefing using TELNET and the user's credentials, and you scrape the data from that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointers to the XNOTAM stuff. As with many FAA projects, its moving forward, but not complete enough to get real use out of, yet (to be fair, that probably characterizes most projects -- FAA or otherwise).

There is an existing XML feed via AIDAP, which one can get after jumping through a few dozen hoops: doesn't appear to include local notams, though.

Back