Not grounded by ankle injury :) :)

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Yay!!! So far, at least, I'm not grounded. Visited the orthopedist today, he checked the MRIs, and concurred with the report: Torn ligaments and chronic sprain (are those the same thing?) What I thought was interesting was that they were able to see evidence of old injuries to my ankle. When you have a little dude carrying a big pack a long way, or running around on concrete, you'll have those :)

Anyway, treatment for now is physical therapy 3 times a week for the next month, and an aircast between sessions. I don't know what an aircast is because I don't get mine until tomorrow, but it's something I can put on and take off... so I can take it off to fly if I need to. I is one happy dude :goofy: :D

Joe Williams said:
Yay!!! So far, at least, I'm not grounded. Visited the orthopedist today, he checked the MRIs, and concurred with the report: Torn ligaments and chronic sprain (are those the same thing?) What I thought was interesting was that they were able to see evidence of old injuries to my ankle. When you have a little dude carrying a big pack a long way, or running around on concrete, you'll have those :)

Anyway, treatment for now is physical therapy 3 times a week for the next month, and an aircast between sessions. I don't know what an aircast is because I don't get mine until tomorrow, but it's something I can put on and take off... so I can take it off to fly if I need to. I is one happy dude :goofy: :D

An aircast for the ankle is two pieces of hard plastic joined by elastic with velcro ends. Between the plastic and your leg and ankle are gel pads. The plastic extends from mid-calf down to your ankle and are contour molded. They are joinded by elastic across the sole of your foot. They provide lateral support and the gel acts as a cushion. You'll want to velcro it up good and tight for max support. They'll want to provide the aircast, politely refuse, instead, go to a sport supply store to purchase the aircast, you'll save big money for what is exactly the same item.

I would be very careful about flying in this condition. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Just crossing the threshold as you go through the door to hop in the car to drive to the aprt could very well put you on the backside of healing. All it takes is a very minor amount of rotation at the ankle to cause extreme pain and/or inflammation of the ligs and tendons. In that case, you be back on the couch, foot elevated, for some time to come. Oh yeah, an added benefit of reinjury is increased susceptibility to future sprain. Two months as an invalid is not at all unusual to properly heal from torn ligs.

I have casts or splints for every joint in my body x 2, I've blown out both ankles at least twice. You be very careful, Joe.

I don't mean to rain on your parade or take away your joy....BTDT x 4

Didn't John Kennedy fly with an ankle injury? I think you need to be careful and evaluate how you really feel versus how you THINK you feel.

silver-eagle said:
Didn't John Kennedy fly with an ankle injury? I think you need to be careful and evaluate how you really feel versus how you THINK you feel.

I don't think John Kennedy's failings that night can be blamed on his ankle :) I've been walking on, driving, and flying with this thing for three months before I finally decided to see a doctor. It can only get better from here on, right? :)

Joe Williams said:
I don't think John Kennedy's failings that night can be blamed on his ankle :) I've been walking on, driving, and flying with this thing for three months before I finally decided to see a doctor. It can only get better from here on, right? :)

The Kennedy injury is thought to be very much a factor. He got himself in graveyard spiral followed by a stall. Full Opposite Rudder on a broken ankle!

You may be fine for normal flight but ask yourself, can I ram the rudder peddle to the floor and hold to to brake a spin. If you can't then I would stay on the ground a few more weeks.

I remember getting a severe sprain of my ankle while I was a
student. I couldn't work the brakes. So I had to work on the dual
stuff so the CFI could work the brakes until it healed some.

corjulo said:
The Kennedy injury is thought to be very much a factor. He got himself in graveyard spiral followed by a stall. Full Opposite Rudder on a broken ankle!
The accident findings say nothing about a stall. Spiraled into the water from the looks of things.

Joe Williams said:

Joe,
Those air casts usually fit right inside a shoe. They only limit side to side motion, while allowing flexion/extension. You could wear it and fly. I've had patients go back to work the next day(not a desk job) when put in those. One guy keep playing softball in his. Rudder pedals aren't to hard on ankles if they get that little extra support. The biggest issue would be sudden, distracting pain. The splint usually takes care of that because it eliminates the side motion that causes the pain. After a little healing, a pair of good fitting lace up work boots works pretty well also.

Barb (MD and high school hockey team doc.)

One Short said:
Joe,
Those air casts usually fit right inside a shoe. They only limit side to side motion, while allowing flexion/extension. You could wear it and fly. I've had patients go back to work the next day(not a desk job) when put in those. One guy keep playing softball in his. Rudder pedals aren't to hard on ankles if they get that little extra support. The biggest issue would be sudden, distracting pain. The splint usually takes care of that because it eliminates the side motion that causes the pain. After a little healing, a pair of good fitting lace up work boots works pretty well also.

My concern was not about the ability to manipulate the rudder pedals but in the motions needed to get to the cocpit in the first place. The sometimes uneven surface of the ramp, the preflight of a high wing, climbing into a Cessna. We don't often think about it but those things can involve some very odd movements and/or place us in awkward positions.

Heck, I reinjured a torn ankle when I stepped out of the shower even though I was wearing the aircast and being very careful using non-skid mats and grab bars. All it took was some very minor movement in the wrong direction at the wrong time.

One Short said:
Joe,

You are, of course, absolutely correct :) I got mine today, and it allows plenty of movement to work rudder pedals and brakes. It's quite comfy, actually. I can walk on my ankle, and drive a stick shift, and any pain is controllable with aspirin, so I see no reason to self ground.

The only real issue I have is checking the fuel in the Skyhawk. I've always climbed up and looked into the tank to help verify how much gas I've got. This has become a real problem, and I don't think the brace will help. I think I am comfortable resolving this issue by simply asking to have the tanks filled before each flight. Even if they somehow don't get quite full, I'll have plenty for the short cross countries we have planned in the near future. Other options: I can try to get Cathy to climb up and check the fuel, or I could always drive longer and fly a Tiger :)

Richard said:
Accomodation of risk does not begin with a bang but a whimper.

Choosing to be a private pilot is, in and of itself, an accomodation of risk.

Ken Ibold said:
The accident findings say nothing about a stall. Spiraled into the water from the looks of things.

He stalled at 2200 feet, after the spiral. At least according to Rinker Buck, who did most of the reporting on the accident.

It is believed he recovered only to stall.

From the report
>>>>>>>>
The pilot then departed on a dark night.
According to a performance study of radar data, the airplane proceeded over land at 5,500 feet. About 34 miles west of Martha's Vineyard
Airport, while crossing a 30-mile stretch of water to its destination, the airplane began a descent that varied between 400 to 800 feet
per minute (fpm). About 7 miles from the approaching shore, the airplane began a right turn. The airplane stopped its descent at 2,200
feet, then climbed back to 2,600 feet and entered a left turn. While in the left turn, the airplane began another descent that reached
about 900 fpm. While still in the descent, the airplane entered a right turn. During this turn, the airplane's rate of descent and
airspeed increased. The airplane's rate of descent eventually exceeded 4,700 fpm, and the airplane struck the water in a nose-down
>>>>>>>>>>>>

Regardless, I think flying with your ankle hurting might not be a good idea.

Last edited:
Joe Williams said:
The only real issue I have is checking the fuel in the Skyhawk.

You are really checking two things...fuel level and security of the fuel cap.

N.B.

FAR 91.3 specifies that the PIC is directly responsible for the operation of the aircraft.

FAR 91.7 (b) specifies that the PIC is responsible for determining that the aircraft is safe for flight.

Switch to a low wing.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
You are really checking two things...fuel level and security of the fuel cap.

N.B.

FAR 91.3 specifies that the PIC is directly responsible for the operation of the aircraft.

FAR 91.7 (b) specifies that the PIC is responsible for determining that the aircraft is safe for flight.

Switch to a low wing.

Len

My wife concurs with your reasoning. We now have Tiger 950TE, my favorite plane in any case, scheduled out of Hortman for July 4. I loooove the Tiger, this is as good an excuse as any to make the drive :) Of course, if we stick with our plans of Ocean City, we'll be driving 2 hours to fly one hour LOL.

Joe Williams said:
Of course, if we stick with our plans of Ocean City, we'll be driving 2 hours to fly one hour LOL.

Joe,

Get a plane for the entire day...go to Ocean City MD...very easy flight that is a ton of fun.

D-> VCN below the PHL Class B or get permission Bravo and flight following from PHL approach on 123.8...after VCN a right turn toward Dover AFB...this just happens to be a course that will give you the shortest over water distance across the Deleware River...have Sean check out the C5s and C130s parked on the ramp if permission Delta provided or if you are above their airspace, if permission Delta not provided or you can't climb above the limit of their airspace angle south across the river toward the shoreline...in either case follow the shoreline around 'till you get to OXB.

You get Dover's permission to enter their airspace from Dover Approach 132.425...they'll provide flight following part of the way to OXB...they'll give you Patuxent frequency but they probably won't be able to provide flight following the last few miles to OXB.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Joe,

Get a plane for the entire day...go to Ocean City MD...very easy flight that is a ton of fun.

D-> VCN below the PHL Class B or get permission Bravo and flight following from PHL approach on 123.8...after VCN a right turn toward Dover AFB...this just happens to be a course that will give you the shortest over water distance across the Deleware River...have Sean check out the C5s and C130s parked on the ramp if permission Delta provided or if you are above their airspace, if permission Delta not provided or you can't climb above the limit of their airspace angle south across the river toward the shoreline...in either case follow the shoreline around 'till you get to OXB.

You get Dover's permission to enter their airspace from Dover Approach 132.425...they'll provide flight following part of the way to OXB...they'll give you Patuxent frequency but they probably won't be able to provide flight following the last few miles to OXB.

Len

Ocean City, MD was the other end of my long solo x/c. It was an easy flight, and quite pretty. I'll ask Cathy what she prefers. We've got the plane for 7 hours, so that gives us plenty of time. I like OC, NJ, but I've got to at least fly as much as I drive :) Other possibilities include Williamsburg, though I'm not paying $35 a pop to go into some of the buildings, Gettysburg again, Niagra Falls, or even lunch with her parents in Johnstown.

Joe Williams said:
Other possibilities include Williamsburg, though I'm not paying $35 a pop to go into some of the buildings, Gettysburg again, Niagra Falls, or even lunch with her parents in Johnstown.

If going to Williamsburg for a day trip I'd skip the ticket to enter the buildings and just walk through the town...figuring all the travel time you'd have about 3 hours or a bit less...plenty to do without plunking down more money. Take a picnic lunch as all the resturants are in the "colonial" area are expensive.

Len

Back