Not for the queasy or faint hearted! Air Crashes!

colomtnflyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
iAM in AK!
I was looking for something completely unrelated, and this clip happened to be on the scroll...

Guess my morbid curiousity got the better of me, and I had to watch it...

Some pretty gruesome crashes... Mostly military, but a couple of Civilian aircraft...

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-3240559243938911991

Last edited:
Once you have seen several in person, up close and of your friends at air shows.. you get where you don't really care to see video or actual air crashes...

The video that is missing from these crashes are the aftermath. I was unfortunate enough to see the after crash video of the Ukraine mishap. Scattered bodies and body part everywhere.

Wow.. I couldn't make it all the way through it. I was OK until I saw the military helo with troops sitting on the side go down. My bro-in-law will be commissioned in the Army in two weeks, so that one hit a little too close to home. *sigh* I must be getting old.

At CRM training in Feb we watched a lot of those but in more detail with us also doing some accident analysis.

One that was not in that mix that we watched and listened to was of an Apache helo crew doing some nap of the earth flying through the trees. The new pilot being checked out is heard on the intercom telling the IP that he did not think they could make it through the trees. But the IP rebukes him and head into the trees. The next shot is of leaves and branches flying by as the rotor comes apart. They climbed and then descended down and made a very hard, messing landing. But walked away. The IP retired soon after.

Last edited:
At CRM training in Feb we watched a lot of those but in more detail with us also doing some accident analysis.

One that was not in that mix that we watched and listened to was of an Apache helo crew doing some nap of the earth flying through the trees. The new pilot being checked out is heard on the intercom telling the IP that he did not think they could make it through the trees. But the IP rebukes him and head into the trees. The next shot is of leaves and branches flying by as the rotor comes apart. They climbed and then descended down and made a very hard, messing landing. But walked away. The IP retired soon after.
"oh yeah of little faith" Crunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT0uc5m9bFk

Last edited:
Actually, i didn't think it was *too* bad until the constant barage of airshow midairs, that was when it started hitting me that those people all died.

And that sucks.

That is the one. Our instructor was on the investigating committee of that one. That was his last job before leaving the Army and coming over to the Coast Guard. He said the hello was cracked in half with the gear driven up into the fuselage. If the guys would not have set it down when they did the thing probably would have fallen apart.

The problem was that they were supposed to follow that road. That is a known path in the operating areas, but this particular IP liked to go off the course to have more fun. It was a great example of complacency and flaunting authority.

as a fixed wing guy I thought he was damned low, but our instructor told us that the altitude was quit normal for those ops. The Army helos often fly with their rotors just above the trees with the rest of the helo between the trees. Pretty wild.

Please accept my most humble apology for having posted this url. I have removed it.

I too have lost several friends in various sorts of incidents (one leading to my discovery of this board), and I apologize for having offended some of you!

can someone send me the link? It was removed before I got to see it. I guess I must be a sicko.
thanks

Please accept my most humble apology for having posted this url. I have removed it.

I too have lost several friends in various sorts of incidents (one leading to my discovery of this board), and I apologize for having offended some of you!

No offense taken, just preferred not to watch it. Sometimes it's good to see this kind of stuff to put things into perspective that ***t happens!

Seeing a video of crashes isn't offensive. Knowing one has seen them, learned of the cause and not accessed and corrected their own behavior is offensive.

During my time in the Navy, I did not see an actual crash. But, I personally knew three other sailors who perished in crashes. Not seeing the crash doesn't make it any easier.

All this is good... discussion is good... the reality of it all it that for each crash there is a void in someones family... the loss of a daughter, mother, father, friend... In 24 months I have witnessed two crashes of people whom I know and liked.. having just spoken with them before the flight.. One impact was only 75 feet from where I was photographing the event... Both crashes removed a friend from my life.. I don't enjoy that and refuse to view the video of various crashes.. there is no fun there.

To learn from a crash is good.. lest it not happen to one of us.. to gloat over the image and sound of the crash and ensuing death.. not good.. so it reverts back to "Where you stand, depends on where one sits..."

Back