not-flight-following etiquette

Sounds like the effect on controller pay can be a factor, but not a large one.

At a recent presentation locally, Norcal Approach controllers focused on how non-participation can make it difficult to deconflict GA and airliners in the Bay Area.

For additional situational awareness, I sometimes monitor the various approach frequencies along my route of flight, without being on flight following. Occasionally, I will hear the controller advise another pilot of VFR traffic, and that traffic is me.

A question for the controllers: at this point, what is the best course of action?

Get flight following. As a fellow pilot, I'm begging you.

Because it interrupts my music.

Put you headset on mix...

So, assuming I'm being a good VFR pilot, on an airway, at an appropriate altitude, am I reducing controller workload by not being on FF, or am I increasing controller workload by being an unidentified flib that you can't talk to?

According to every approach representative I talk to, you're making their job harder. Workload as a factor of number of planes on frequency is only one factor in difficulty.

Controller pay is based on facility level and time there. Traffic volume is only part of the equation in determining facility level.

Facility level is based on a combination of operations and passengers per operation. If you don't talk, you aren't an operation, and that reduces facility level. This is especially true in smaller areas where they don't get a ton of heavy air carrier traffic.

Sounds like the effect on controller pay can be a factor, but not a large one.

At a recent presentation locally, Norcal Approach controllers focused on how non-participation can make it difficult to deconflict GA and airliners in the Bay Area.

SoCal says the same - a bunch of busy corridors where VFR traffic don't need to be talking go right through approaches and departires for busy airports. I know the redesign of the SFO Class B created some huge holes where you don't need to be talking to anyone. Creates some major conflicts, particularly with OAK and HWD arrivals.

SoCal says the same - a bunch of busy corridors where VFR traffic don't need to be talking go right through approaches and departires for busy airports. I know the redesign of the SFO Class B created some huge holes where you don't need to be talking to anyone. Creates some major conflicts, particularly with OAK and HWD arrivals.

I've done a lot of flying in SoCal sky. There are many areas where the Controllers don't want you balling up the frequency. Some are by design such as the SFRA over LAX. And the VFR Corridor over SAN. It's right on the Chart and it says "...no communications or clearances with ATC are required..." and then tells you what frequency you should be on "...frequency 126.050 is provided for exchange of information between those pilots using the corridor..." When using the Practice Areas the 'unwritten' custom is to use 122.75 to exchange traffic info. The CFI's know about and use it. They have it broken into areas such as Coastal, North, East etc. I found this while doing a search to refresh my memory:

[Being a student pilot in San Diego, I use 122.75 every time I fly.
It is used in regions such as: San Diego Coastal, San Diego East, and San Diego North.
Yes, it is true that we use it to announce aerobatic intentions, but it goes beyond that. It also is not exclusively for fixed-wing aircraft, because both fixed-wing and rotor craft need to know each others intentions.
VFR traffic generally uses it to let other aircraft know what their intentions are. ex: "San Diego Coastal, Cessna 739MH, over Del Mar 3,500ft northbound, San Diego Coastal." or, "San Diego East, Piper Warrior 223F, over El Cap 5,700ft stalls, San Diego East."
If there is another aircraft in the vicinity, and they heard the transmission, they will respond with their information, and coordinate with the pilot to ensure they remain clear of each other.
Sometimes, you may hear chit-chat between pilots, but most are kind enough not to hog the frequency or step on other pilots. You will also hear pilots who are flying in formation using this to communicate with each other.]

One place they are always begging us to call them up is in the area along final to KSAN.

One place they are always begging us to call them up is in the area along final to KSAN.

And that area shouldn’t be a problem for VFRs either. I used fly all over that area with just a sectional. Because of the PSA accident, the IAPs and the VA going into rwy 27, are designed to keep the IFRs in the Class B. No point in having VFRs up the freq when the FAA designed the airspace to prevent the need for comms.

And that area shouldn’t be a problem for VFRs either. I used fly all over that area with just a sectional. Because of the PSA accident, the IAPs and the VA going into rwy 27, are designed to keep the IFRs in the Class B. No point in having VFRs up the freq when the FAA designed the airspace to prevent the need for comms.

Yeah. The rules be keep the big iron in the B. The thing that gives them the grief is the FLIBS staying just barely below the Floor. Being able to say traffic is [type] at [altitude] instead of [altitude] unverified is not a bad idea. Mostly I think it's about giving the big iron as traffic to the FLIB and getting the 'insight report' makes everyone feel better. Especially the Big Iron guy who is the traffic and gets to hear that the blip on the fishbowl sees him.

Last edited:
It's like I blinked my eyes and 4 years went by.

RE the email to FF, FF already will give you a tail number and speed of a target showing up. It just needs the correct input, mine comes from a Cirrus with perspective and I use it all the time.

It's easy enough to map from mode S code to aircraft type... I just sent ForeFlight an email requesting this.
Necro'd your own thread and chaged FF croon Flight Following to Fore Flight. Bold move!

Back