Not a bad glidering season...

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
... and it ain't over yet. :)

I'm hoping to do the commercial check ride this year, but haven't taken the written yet, and meanwhile some decent soaring days have been popping up.
Couple weeks ago I did just over an hour solo in the 2-33, did some review dual after that (made some dumb mistakes but nothing I will repeat on the check ride, dagnabbit), and have flown a few times with student members in the front seat. I've been stuck working on a lot of magnificent soaring days this summer, but that's the breaks- even glider pilots need money to get airborne.

Today was a standout- a vigorous cold front just came through, leaving surprisingly calm air in its wake and lots of inviting flat-bottom Cus at about 4000. First hop for me was in the 2-33 with our youngest member up front (only other member there at that time was an instructor, but the only one of us three qual'd to tow). He's pre-solo but sharp, so I let him fly most of it, and he did well. Got off at about 2700 and got back to that alt. quickly. Thermals were still warming up and the light wind was shifty, so he didn't last very long. But we got a good sniff in, and things looked promising. Lots of those classic Cus, but plenty of sun warming the ground. All clouds showed moderate vertical development- enough to give lift, but no danger of over-developing. And the visibility was unusually good- above 2000, you could easily see Philadelphia. Plenty of traffic as the day progressed, but it was very easy to spot everything. Shortly after I gave him the controls on tow, a hawk buzzed the towplane, seeming to come very close to the rope, but it didn't come back up to challenge us again.

Two more students showed up and the other CFI and tow pilot, so it was time for me to drag out the single-seater, before Andy could come and take it out for over 4 hours like he did last time, LOL.
I got up around the peak time, banged off at 2700 again, went upwind just past Solberg, and before it was all over, I'd gone to 3900 and cruised down to Princeton and back to 47N. That was satisfying, especially arriving over Princeton at 3000, with a nice thermal waiting there for me. Put a couple hundred feet in the bank and decided to hard north again. The thermals were tricky below that altitude, though, and the best clouds were pretty far from the path home, so after conservatively making a beeline back to the home drome instead of sneaking west to try some of the clouds over there, I found myself struggling at around 1800, with the wind changing up and the thermals going all over the place. Hard work, especially for me in the 1-26... this is why they call soaring a sport, I guess.
Fell into the pattern after about an hour, and made a good landing. I should have been able to make more of that flight, but oh well, at least I was up in that thing long enough to not be nervous with it, LOL. After I landed and let go of the stick, I noticed my shoulder was a little sore and stiff (tore it up back in May, but it's been fine for over a month now)... so it was probably for the best that I gave up when I did.

Made another hop a couple hours later, with the sky starting to shut down, and made the mistake of getting off below 3000 again... scratched around a while and gave up after about 30 minutes.
All in all, a good day.

Ive had a decent year. Got my first hop over an hour about a month ago. I took a student up (shes purty cute too ;)) and she let me do all the flying so we hop off at 2500 feet because my VSI quite literally pegged. And we climbed straight up to 4200 feet.
Now me personally I find thermalling boring, so we do a series of accelerated stalls and steep turns and we couldnt lose a foot of altitude. We were up for over an hour when I realized the glider was due back to the strip in about 15 minutes. So speed brakes out, do a nice spiral descent from 4000 feet down to 1700 ish. Then set up for an overhead break. Bring it in nice and smooth.
The whole flight cost me 70 dollars :) This was in a Grob 103a BTW.

Nice write-up.

Last edited:
I got in some time in the 2-33 yesterday, too. Not much, we were doing student flights in the AM, and I had to quit just as the thermals were starting to kick up. Surface winds were a bit of a challenge, 290@12 and we were using R35.

It's been a little slow for me all summer, but others in the club have done well. Being a tow pilot and CFI keeps me from long cross country flights.

Yesterday was good. Late in the day I took a Test Pilot School candidate up for a glider intro. Part of their interview process includes a flight in a glider. Brief him up on the ground, what to expect, he's an F-16 pilot, then go along and watch the fun happen. Don't forget what your feet are for. First takeoff and tow is a ride! Dampened the ossilations down a couple of times for him and throw him back into the fire.

Took a high tow, still figuring out the yaw dance in the Grob103. Off tow, some slow flight, straight stall, demo a cross controlled stall and then talk him through a couple. Found a thermal and talked him through the centering processes, still some yaw dance in the thermal but we gained 1500 ft fairly quickly. Steep turns, twice around each way, speed control. Down into the traffic pattern and working the spoilers. Descent landing as I protected the stick to avoid the Grob PIO. Took him up again for a quick 2K flight for tow and landing. Much better the second time around.

Took another club member up for a couple of pattern tows to complete his Grob checkout and signed him off as PIC qualified.

You're making me miss my old 1-26! Great soaring day here yesterday....but I was teaching in a twin Apache which does not thermal worth a hoot.

Back