Norton

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
Well, I finally fired Norton. It was completely kluging up the server based applications I use in my office. First it was tell it to let the program talk to the others, then an update would occur and that wasn't enough. On and on it went.

I finally just deleted al my copies. FREE AT LAST. I'm trying McAfee JUST antivirus with Kerio.

They are just Soooo BAD at Norton. Sigh.

bbchien said:
Well, I finally fired Norton. It was completely kluging up the server based applications I use in my office. First it was tell it to let the program talk to the others, then an update would occur and that wasn't enough. On and on it went.

I finally just deleted al my copies. FREE AT LAST. I'm trying McAfee JUST antivirus with Kerio.

McAfee can be just as bad with getting in the way, but at least not as much of a CPU hog. It was McAfee that cost me an hour trying to get VPN working. It would be nice if it told you it was taking action rather than quietly making the installation fail.

Just remember to disable the protection when you're installing something that you know is legit.

Yep, Norton is a pig.

I've been dumping Norton as the subscriptions expire and going with AVG.

wsuffa said:
Yep, Norton is a pig.

I've been dumping Norton as the subscriptions expire and going with AVG.
Yes! We have AVG up on two of our three computers, and will put in on the third when the Norton subscription expires.

We dumped McAfee a long time ago because it was unreliable.

One of the worst problems with Norton is getting rid of all the little bits and pieces of program that infest the hard drive and registry. You almost have to reinstall Windows to make sure you got it all.

bbchien said:

Bad does not describe Norton, criminal is more like it, they have problems, they know it, but refuse to do anything about it. McAfee is no better, plus it affords little or no protection from viruses, I have found 2 systems that not only do not interfere with your system, they have proven to be practically bullet proof, Nod32 from ESSet software, www.nod32.com, or Sophos anti-virus, www.sophos.com. none of the systems that i manage has had a virus or spyware problem since i started using these about 7 years ago.

wesleyj said:
Bad does not describe Norton, criminal is more like it, they have problems, they know it, but refuse to do anything about it. McAfee is no better, plus it affords little or no protection from viruses, I have found 2 systems that not only do not interfere with your system, they have proven to be practically bullet proof, Nod32 from ESSet software, www.nod32.com, or Sophos anti-virus, www.sophos.com. none of the systems that i manage has had a virus or spyware problem since i started using these about 7 years ago.
Bruce, what Wesley said. I've heard good thigns about nod32.

And STOP looking for answers at Best Buy. :D

Back