Northern California Student Pilot: ride to Oshkosh wanted

Philip GV

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Philip GV
I live in Northern California. I'll begin my flight training next week. I've got about 40 hours on a sim and 4 hours in a Diamond 20. I can pay my share of gas. I'm a 67 yo RN (retired recently, RN for 27 years), 5'11', 176 lbs. My preference is for 2-4 days in Oshkosh, but willing to stay the week. Thank you.

Last edited:
Speak to the owners of your flight school, as they might be going. There seem to be a fair number in the region.

It's a bit too pricey for my blood, even split. Oshkosh is some 1600 air miles each way (minimum), so that's gonna cost at least $4000 total on a rental, probably more since a direct flight goes over hostile terrain.

No offense, but 40 hours on a sim is totally irrelevant to something like this unless it's a "full flight simulator." And you won't be useful as a right seater with four hours, except perhaps for looking for traffic. You're a passenger.

In addition to the above, try a 3x5 card at your local FBO bulletin board, etc...

In 1992 I decided I wanted to go to Oshkosh. I shot posts on the old CompuServe AVSIG, rec.aviation, etc... I had several offers in the space of a few days. I ended up flying up in Paul Bertorelli's Mooney and hanging out with all the IFR Magazine contributors for the show.

1993 I flew myself in a club plane along with my wife (not yet a pilot) and a student pilot friend of hers.

You might want to post your weight as well.

I agree with the others about posting around and talking around your local airports about it, I'd wager someone knows someone who would be game.

Back