Non Fatal Crash at Galt Airport (10C) Ill.

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
NTSB Identification: CHI08CA174.
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, June 30, 2008 in Greenwood, IL
Aircraft: Piper PA-28-180, registration: N4433T
Injuries: 3 Uninjured.
The flight instructor reported that during final approach the airplane drifted off the left side of the runway after encountering a wind gust. He told the student pilot to initiate a go-around. As the student pilot increased engine power for the go-around the airplane pitched-up and then rolled to the left. The flight instructor assumed flight control of the airplane, but the airplane impacted left-wing low off the left side of the runway. The airplane cartwheeled and both wings separated from the airplane. The local area winds were out of the north-northwest at 10 knots, gusting 17 knots. The flight instructor reported that the local topography produced a "strong wind current" that contributed to the accident.

Thanks goodness no one was hurt. As you can see from the pictures it was a miracle that no one was. The plane if of course destroyed. No one at the FBO knew this happened as it was on the far end of the field, until the people walked into the office and said they had the accident.

Attachments

• IMG_9441.JPG
    IMG_9441.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 481
  • IMG_9442.JPG
    IMG_9442.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 550
  • IMG_9443.JPG
    IMG_9443.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 429
  • IMG_9444.JPG
    IMG_9444.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 460
  • IMG_9445.JPG
    IMG_9445.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 420
  • IMG_9446.JPG
    IMG_9446.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 401
  • IMG_9447.JPG
    IMG_9447.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 433
  • IMG_9448.JPG
    IMG_9448.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 431
wow, looks like the wings did a good job of absorbing the energy.

wow, looks like the wings did a good job of absorbing the energy.
And the prop too!!

It is amazing how little damage there is to the tail section and the pax compartment.

From the NTSB report I am thinking he was slow and when he pushed the throttle forward he did not hold the nose level and it pitched up and stalled. Good thing that the turf just off of that end of the runway has been soggy all summer and was soft.

I am also glad no one was waiting for the back taxi and they balled it pretty close to where the planes sit when there is arriving traffic.

Holy C_ap, Batman....

There is always truth that the student is trying to KILL the CFI. I see he failed, again.

I flew into Galt for the first time that day... about 30 minutes later. I had no idea what had happened (and I didn't see the plane), but some guys were sitting around the FBO, one with an ice pack on his forehead. I heard someone say something about "gust" and "lifted the wing" and when I went to the other room to get a drink, an airport kid told me about it.

Wow.

--david

Yet another reason for employing Tony's policy of having students perform simulated go-around's with airplane trimmed for final approach attitude then add full power. (At a safe altitude of course).

It was eye-opening in the RV. I knew it had a lot of trim authority, but that little bitty trim tab had us >45* nose up in a matter of seconds (I didn't even get full power in before both of us said "That's enough").

:eek:

Those Cherokees sure are tough little birds; shame it's totaled but it saved their bacon.

I hope the student isn't spooked too badly by this... but I also hope he learned his lesson!

I'm glad this turned out well and everyone is safe. But, how will it change next time?

I'm thinking... could a flight instructor allow anyone to take out life insurance on them and h/she collects a fee from the prospective beneficiary just for the privilege? :)

Yet another reason for employing Tony's policy of having students perform simulated go-around's with airplane trimmed for final approach attitude then add full power. (At a safe altitude of course).

It was eye-opening in the RV. I knew it had a lot of trim authority, but that little bitty trim tab had us >45* nose up in a matter of seconds (I didn't even get full power in before both of us said "That's enough").

push...push...push!!!

WOW! I flew into 10C on the way up to OshKosh in my PA28/180. I agree, they are tough tonka trucks and smooth rides, just not speed demons. I'm really happy to hear that they are all safe.

I didn't see that aircraft when I was there either. The airport is nice and the staff friendly.

I wonder if they got to keep their avionics or if the insurance company took them.

I wonder if they got to keep their avionics or if the insurance company took them.
Everything is still in the panel.

Having never (knock on wood) had something similar happen I would think that the insurance company gets everything if they total the airplane. Just like in a car wreck if the insurance pays you off you do not get the sound system and they get what is left.

I left a comment on Airnav and meant every word of it. They truly are a friendly bunch and when THEY offered the use of their vehicle (opposed to me asking for it), I knew I was working with a class act. Tell 'em Thanks Again please.

Shane, N8388W

I left a comment on Airnav and meant every word of it. They truly are a friendly bunch and when THEY offered the use of their vehicle (opposed to me asking for it), I knew I was working with a class act. Tell 'em Thanks Again please.

Shane, N8388W
Will do.

Did you like the painted ad on the side of the truck?
Learn to fly $45, learn to land $4500
I laugh every time I see that!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back