"Non-Alcoholic" beer

Old Geek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Old Geek
I picked up a 6-pack of Clausthaler along with lunch and drank 3 of them while I worked. I don't like water or soda and I didn't have beer because I thought I might go flying later that afternoon.

When I was ready to go, I noticed I was a little lightheaded. I keep a breathalyser at the office so I used it. I was surprised to find that I blew a 0.02. No flying until tomorrow and no "non-alcoholic" beer on flying days.

Clausthaler contains 0.45% ABV. I guess non-alcoholic beer can violate the 8 hour rule.

The labels on these beverages say they "contain less than 0.5% alcohol by volume." 14 CFR 91.17 prohibits flying "within 8 hours after consumption of any alcoholic beverage." 27 CFR 16.10 (among other similar definitions in the CFR) defines "Alcoholic beverage" as "any beverage in liquid form which contains not less than one-half of one percent (.5%) of alcohol by volume and is intended for human consumption." This is echoed in the state definitions of alcoholic beverage in at least Virginia and Texas. Therefore, unless the FAA has some other definition of alcoholic beverage, I do not believe the consumption of non-alcoholic beers of less than 0.5% alcohol falls within the scope of 14 CFR 91.17.

I asked the Eastern Region Counsel to confirm this, and they referred me to the Regional Flight Surgeon, who got a good laugh out of the question. She said my reading was correct -- you can legally drink an O'Doul's before flying as long as your BAC stays below 0.04%. We agreed, however, that an airline pilot seen drinking one in the bar by the gates would probably get fired by his/her company anyway on public relations grounds ("appearance of impropriety," and all that).

However, that does not mean you can safely drink this stuff and then fly. Part of the answer to that involves just how much alcohol is in it -- 0.49% or 0.00049%. Anheuser-Busch says the alcohol content of O'Doul's is 0.4% ABV. The way I figured it using the standard tables on the internet, an FAA-average 170-lb man would have to drink 12 of them in an hour to get his BAC above 0.01%.:vomit: So, I'm having trouble figuring how the OP blew 0.02 after only three, but maybe he's really skinny.

All that said, you won't see me drinking one at any airport restaurants during a fly-in when I'm flying home.

The labels on these beverages say they "contain less than 0.5% alcohol by volume." 14 CFR 91.17 prohibits flying "within 8 hours after consumption of any alcoholic beverage." 27 CFR 16.10 (among other similar definitions in the CFR) defines "Alcoholic beverage" as "any beverage in liquid form which contains not less than one-half of one percent (.5%) of alcohol by volume and is intended for human consumption." This is echoed in the state definitions of alcoholic beverage in at least Virginia and Texas. Therefore, unless the FAA has some other definition of alcoholic beverage, I do not believe the consumption of non-alcoholic beers of less than 0.5% alcohol falls within the scope of 14 CFR 91.17.

I asked the Eastern Region Counsel to confirm this, and they referred me to the Regional Flight Surgeon, who got a good laugh out of the question. She said my reading was correct -- you can legally drink an O'Doul's before flying as long as your BAC stays below 0.04%. We agreed, however, that an airline pilot seen drinking one in the bar by the gates would probably get fired by his/her company anyway on public relations grounds ("appearance of impropriety," and all that).

However, that does not mean you can safely drink this stuff and then fly. Part of the answer to that involves just how much alcohol is in it -- 0.49% or 0.00049%. Anheuser-Busch says the alcohol content of O'Doul's is 0.4% ABV. The way I figured it using the standard tables on the internet, an FAA-average 170-lb man would have to drink 12 of them in an hour to get his BAC above 0.01%.:vomit: So, I'm having trouble figuring how the OP blew 0.02 after only three, but maybe he's really skinny.

All that said, you won't see me drinking one at any airport restaurants during a fly-in when I'm flying home.

.02 is probably as low as the DIY breathalyzers will register.

7-up has like .05% ABV. All soda does.

I have heard (from a credible source) that the super-condensed packages of Sprite flavoring used in Coca-Cola's new "100+ flavors" dispenser machines is flammable.

I hate to say it, but a 12 pack of Clausterhalers would have pretty close to zero effect on me.

We agreed, however, that an airline pilot seen drinking one in the bar by the gates would probably get fired by his/her company anyway on public relations grounds ("appearance of impropriety," and all that).

I ran this subject by my flight instructor years ago. He's a Southwest captain and said he'd never drink a non-alcoholic beer before a flight just because of the appearance issue.

So, I'm having trouble figuring how the OP blew 0.02 after only three, but maybe he's really skinny.

I wished I was real skinny. I have no explanation other than having an empty stomach.

Last edited:
If so done drank a 12-pack in the hour before flight they're not going to be flying for long....unless they remembered the relief tube/Gatorade bottle!

I must admit I am surprised anyone can drink this non-alcoholic 'beer', for me it just tastes awfully, I would rather drink anything else - coke, root beer, sparkling water, whatever, etc.

Last edited:
.02 is probably as low as the DIY breathalyzers will register.

Actually, it's not so much that the breathalizers can't register low numbers is that even if you consume *NO ALCOHOL* natural fermentation going on in the body can result in BAC that approach that number.

Can "self-pickled" be used as evidence to reduce the BAC to less than legally soused?
Actually, it's not so much that the breathalizers can't register low numbers is that even if you consume *NO ALCOHOL* natural fermentation going on in the body can result in BAC that approach that number.

Once you hit the per se limits (the so-called legal limit) it doesn't matter how you got there.

I picked up a 6-pack of Clausthaler along with lunch and drank 3 of them while I worked. I don't like water or soda and I didn't have beer because I thought I might go flying later that afternoon.

When I was ready to go, I noticed I was a little lightheaded. I keep a breathalyser at the office so I used it. I was surprised to find that I blew a 0.02. No flying until tomorrow and no "non-alcoholic" beer on flying days.

Its safe to say you are a lightweight :goofy:

I must admit I am surprised anyone can drink this non-alcoholic 'beer', for me it just tastes awfully, I would rather drink anything else - coke, root beer, sparkling water, whatever, etc.

The only time I drank that stuff was in Saudi Arabia - it was all you could get! That was one dry place - in more ways than one!

Dave

Back