Noise Abatement at John Wayne - SNA

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Anyone have experience flying GA out of John Wayne (SNA)?

I may be flying in to pick up a pax this week and would like to avoid getting a noise abatement bust. I've read the stuff on the airport website that refers to the left or right 15 degree turns (depending on runway) and the map of noise sensitive areas, but other than that, I didn't see much. I have heard that there is a noise sensor right off the departure end of 19 L/R that usually gets folks. I'll be flying a Duchess, so compared to the jets, you wouldn't think that would be too loud, but we have had guys in the club who have gotten 172s banned from flying in there.

Any suggestions - is it better to go with a high performance climb like the jets do (basically pitching as high as I can go while maintaining blue line), or pull the rpm back to 2600 (climb power in the BE-76) as soon as I have positive rate?

Any suggestions - is it better to go with a high performance climb like the jets do (basically pitching as high as I can go while maintaining blue line), or pull the rpm back to 2600 (climb power in the BE-76) as soon as I have positive rate?

Probably max performance to start, pull back to 2500 at the fence.

pull the left engine back to idle right after rotation.:dunno:

It's always fun going out of there commercial! :D

I was under the impression that noise abatement is a courtesy, and nothing should interfere with your safety. You are not flying a jet, so why try to fly like one? I climb power safe for take-off in the Duchess? If not, why even consider it?

We have gotten a letter after departing HPN (White Plains, NY) at a time when they didn't want aircraft departures because of noise. No legal action, however.

I have never heard of somebody getting "busted" for noise abatement.
Not "busted" in the FAA sense but they can certainly fine you. I got a warning at KSMO and the second occurrence for the same airplane would have been a fine.

(b) Sanctions shall be progressive. The initial civil penalty for a repeat or willful violation shall be two thousand dollars ($2,000). The penalty for a violation following the initial civil penalty shall be five thousand dollars ($5,000), and the penalty for a violation following the second civil penalty shall be ten thousand dollars ($10,000). After imposition of the maximum fine, subsequent violations shall, after a hearing, result in a suspension of Airport privileges for six months and following that, revocation of privileges or permits. The Airport Director shall notify the Federal Aviation Administration prior to ordering the suspension or revocation of Airport privileges or permits under this subsection. If particular circumstances show that progressive monetary sanctions will be ineffective to achieve compliance, suspension or revocation may be ordered after a hearing prior to imposing the maximum monetary penalty.
http://www.smgov.net/departments/airport/content.aspx?id=8695

PS: This was in a Lear 35. I don't know that I would worry too much in a small airplane.

Last edited:
Not "busted" in the FAA sense but they can certainly fine you. I got a warning at KSMO and the second occurrence for the same airplane would have been a fine.

PS: This was in a Lear 35. I don't know that I would worry too much in a small airplane.

Even Aspen isn't this restrictive.

On the contrary - the SMO website is replete with contradictions. The webpage with Airport Businesses lists 5 or 6 flying schools, and lots of positive & encouraging verbage about learning to fly. Yet T&Gs are not allowed on the weekends, when mosts students are likely to take lessons. I really wonder how profitable those schools really are.

I've never visited SMO but know there is a large number of small airports in the LA basin area so it's easy to avoid SMO unless you need instrument approach - but VNY isn't that far. Personally, I prefer Burbank (when flying commercial) and El Monte but that assumes you want to be on the east side.

We have gotten a letter after departing HPN (White Plains, NY) at a time when they didn't want aircraft departures because of noise. No legal action, however.

Hey it's good to have some backup in case you run out of toilet paper.

A few years ago, I was dabbling in making my own model rocket motors, and had bought some very small quantities of potassium nitrate, iron oxide, aluminum powder, etc. All perfect legal, bought through the internet.

So I get a letter from the Department of Justice, saying they know I bought that stuff and I better not be selling homemade fireworks!!!

I typed up a letter telling them to a) Bite Me, and b) Go Pound Sand. Thankfully I tore it up before I could send it to them. :cool2:

Last edited:
I used to fly to SNA a lot, not lately though.

In context of general aviation noise abasement is none mandatory but voluntarily i . It was clearly stated by FAA at the last safety meeting I attended regarding SoCal flying..

You are not expected to perform on your C-172 as commercial airliners on B-737. Just fly safely that's :)

Santa Monica Municipal Code has nothing to do with FAA. They may try to fine , but I doubt it because in this case FAA will be on pilot side especially when it comes to safety :)

Santa Monica Municipal Code has nothing to do with FAA. They may try to fine , but I doubt it because in this case FAA will be on pilot side especially when it comes to safety :)
Maybe you didn't understand my post but I never said the fine had anything to do with the FAA.

Here is some general reading on N.A.Ps for those interested.
Take a look at AC36-3H, it lists the dB produced by almost every cert. a/c likely to grace the skies. You can find the nose level of your C150 there!

Back