No ranch invitation

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Ever wonder why a Ranch/farm or other large property owner may not invite you out? Had two things happen this week that kind of explain it. Trespass is always an issue for these folks of course, but I have sometimes wondered why some friends with country places haven't invited me out. Here's what happened this week.

Yesterday, I drove a 300 acre property that we were looking to purchase with later development potential. Had to enter through a neighboring property; this fella is kind of the on-site gate guard. So, we pulled up, identified ourselves and drove the property. On the was out, the neighbor where we entered was waiting for us at the gate and began making small talk. After some chit chat, he asked why we were looking and we told him we wanted a place up there and that it could be developed in the future (the growth is getting pretty close to in now). He make it pretty clear that he'd rather not have it develop at all, and that if someone were to go that direction, he knew where there were some Indian burial grounds on the property and he would feel he would have to share that info. if a developer purchased it. After some more talk, he made it clear he wanted a new home on ten acres to the north, and if that were to become available, he would probably forget the entire matter. :hairraise: BTW, I have been told most tribe around here didn't bury their dead.
===============================================

I was telling a friend with a large place in the Austin story this and he related to me that his Daughter invited a couple school friends out to go riding with their folks a few months earlier. Her friends had their own horses and brought them out. While riding, one of the parents saw what they thought was a rare flower on the property that was endangered. My friend received formal notice from a governmental agency about ten days later that they had the right to investigate and protect the species and set out in written form what would be required of him.

Cost him about $12,000 for his attorney to debunk the thing and get the agency straight on what was not an endangered flower.

Anyway, one of the reasons besides liability that you may not be invited out to places where you have good friends.

Sometimes dealing with people can be VERY challenging.

Best,

Dave

Don't even get me started on the silliness of not being able to develop on Indian grounds...

Back