No "Disable Text-Wrap" on Mac???? Really??

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
That's frustrating. Even the worst text-editor in the world (notepad) has the option to disable auto wrapping.

Back to Linux I guess. So far, its the only OS I've been playing with in the last year that hasn't disappointed me over stupid small stuff.

What are you talking about?

Edit: TextEdit has a preference checkbox to enable/disable "wrap to page"

Edit: Anyway there are a number of freeware text editors.

Last edited:
Use a real text editor. TextWrangler is free.

Well, actually vim is what's going to be easily installable on OSX. But yeah.

That checkbox does not appear to do anything....

You need to get with the Apple philosophy...they know what's best for you. You need to wrap text, you just don't understand you needs yet. Apple will take care of all your needs. no need to think for yourself.

You need to get with the Apple philosophy...they know what's best for you. You need to wrap text, you just don't understand you needs yet. Apple will take care of all your needs. no need to think for yourself.

I'll throw the flag on that. Yeah, Apple has a GUI approach, such as the fixation on the one-button mouse, but it's soooo easy to use a 2, 3, or 4 button mouse.

Don't like the (non)wrapping of TextEdit? Get a different freeware editor.

I haven't taken the time to play around with it, but I suspect the disable line wrap checkbox applies to RTF and not plain text.

Sure, but Nick hasn't posted a completely baseless post accusing Apple of not supporting some feature that they clearly support in at least two weeks...so it was time.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-27 at 10.53.46 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-27 at 10.53.46 AM.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 58
Sure, but Nick hasn't posted a completely baseless post accusing Apple of not supporting some feature that they clearly support in at least two weeks...so it was time.

attachment.php

Try it. It doesn't work. Open a large txt file that spans a LONG width, and try to get it not to wrap.

Its not as baseless as it seems.

Actually Nick is looking to have Text Wrap disabled. Which doesn't appear possible in the "TextEdit". Then of course it was said that even NotePad has this feature!

Well, Notepad may, but TextEdit has a LOT of features Notepad doesn't have.

How about you just download a better text editor for free:
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

Or how about you just use vim which is already installed.

Why the hell would you switch operating systems just because one of the default programs doesn't do precisely what you want? Overreaction perhaps?

Actually Nick is looking to have Text Wrap disabled. Which doesn't appear possible in the "TextEdit". Then of course it was said that even NotePad has this feature!

Well, Notepad may, but TextEdit has a LOT of features Notepad doesn't have.

How about you just download a better text editor for free:
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

Or how about you just use vim which is already installed.

Why the hell would you switch operating systems just because one of the default programs doesn't do precisely what you want? Overreaction perhaps?

Meh, its a text editor. Remember, Windows has Notepad and Wordpad, and Notepad is a basic text editor while Word Pad is more featured. TextEdit is apparently more like Wordpad than Notepad....which means OSX is lacking a basic text editor.

gEdit, on the other hand, does both equally well (and poorly).

Unless you expect the common user to drop into the terminal and start typing commands again like its 1987. I use nano, but at that point, whether using nano or vim, why use OSX instead of linux?

I booted back into Linux because OSX seems to fail me more often than not lately anyway, and this was just another example. The only reason I even use OSX anymore is because Cisco's AnyConnect client for Linux doesn't work with my work VPN. I was doing something in OSX for work, disconnected, and figured "Meh, I'll just look at this CSV file here instead of rebooting." My mistake.

The problem with downloading a program to handle basic text editing? Why should I have to? Every other operating system has a built in, GUI based text editor that handles things like not text-wrapping.

In fact, there are like 3 features a text editor NEEDS:
1. Open text files
2. Save text files
3. Don't format text files

To default to format a text file in some way other than the way the file exists on my disk is irresponsible. To not allow me to view it as it sits on my disk is reprehensible.

Last edited:
A few years ago, when I hacked on Mac Plus with OS 6.0.20, Apple issued an AppNote that had a few bullet items like this:

"Few simple things for everyone to remember"
- TextEdit is not a text editor
- Resource Manager os not a database"

IIRC there were 4 all told, but only remember these two.

The problem with downloading a program to handle basic text editing? Why should I have to? Every other operating system has a built in, GUI based text editor that handles things like not text-wrapping.

um, no. the text editor isn't "built in". Bundled with it, sure, but it's only included with the distribution. It's not an OS function. It's an application. Delete it, don't delete it, the OS will continue to work.

Meh, its a text editor. Remember, Windows has Notepad and Wordpad, and Notepad is a basic text editor while Word Pad is more featured. TextEdit is apparently more like Wordpad than Notepad....which means OSX is lacking a basic text editor.

gEdit, on the other hand, does both equally well (and poorly).

Unless you expect the common user to drop into the terminal and start typing commands again like its 1987. I use nano, but at that point, whether using nano or vim, why use OSX instead of linux?

I booted back into Linux because OSX seems to fail me more often than not lately anyway, and this was just another example. The only reason I even use OSX anymore is because Cisco's AnyConnect client for Linux doesn't work with my work VPN. I was doing something in OSX for work, disconnected, and figured "Meh, I'll just look at this CSV file here instead of rebooting." My mistake.

In fact, there are like 3 features a text editor NEEDS:
1. Open text files
2. Save text files
3. Don't format text files

To default to format a text file in some way other than the way the file exists on my disk is irresponsible. To not allow me to view it as it sits on my disk is reprehensible.
The only reason you have the fancy GUI text editor in Linux is because it was INSTALLED. It does not COME with Linux.

The TextEdit app on the mac is just an app, you don't have to use it, and there are thousands of better ones. Hell I've never even opened it before.

It's ridiuclous to claim the OPERATING SYSTEM failed you because the bundled text editor application didn't have a small feature you wanted.

I use nano, but at that point, whether using nano or vim, why use OSX instead of linux?
The hardware support is the reason, e.g. you want Mac Air suspend flawlessly. I have a T400, which is well supported by Linux - suspend, hybernate, 3D, whatever. But it's thick and heavy (relatively speaking - it's not a monster like Dell XPS obviously). Linux on Apple hardware has problems dealing with undocumented hardware and firmware issues.

The only reason I even use OSX anymore is because Cisco's AnyConnect client for Linux doesn't work with my work VPN.
Coincidentially, I think we use similar Cisco VPN concentrators and everyone in engineering just uses vpnc instead of Cisco client. Granted that vpnc has issues with rekeying, so VPN goes down every 18 hours, but it's still better than Cisco client.

-- Pete

Coincidentially, I think we use similar Cisco VPN concentrators and everyone in engineering just uses vpnc instead of Cisco client. Granted that vpnc has issues with rekeying, so VPN goes down every 18 hours, but it's still better than Cisco client.

-- Pete

I probably should not tempt the VPN gods, but my VPN has been pretty rock solid stable (both a Cisco VPN client and the OSX client). The last time I noticed a glitch was a couple of months ago when a network switch was on a flakey UPS...which is not at all a VPN problem.

Of course, I generally never try to keep my VPN connection for more than a regular (long) work day.

Does it support RSA enabled security on Cisco SSL VPNs? If so, I might give it a shot....although, AnyConnect seems to work on OSX.

Do they have a Ubuntu client?
No idea, I think its mostly an Ipsec/L2TP/PPTP client. I use ipsec.

Does it support RSA enabled security on Cisco SSL VPNs?
Any client that works supports RSA by definition, vpnc included. That is because all RSA does on the client side is it appends the PRNG output to the secret, then transmits the resulting string as a password.

Back