Night VFR

One thing I do pay extra attention to at night is the VASI. I tend to come in too high otherwise.

That got me thinking, and I realized that night landings are about the only time I even SEE a VASI. My daylight landings I just use the TLAR method (That Looks About Right).

That got me thinking, and I realized that night landings are about the only time I even SEE a VASI. My daylight landings I just use the TLAR method (That Looks About Right).
Same here, but there are also many runways (mostly at rural, uncontrolled fields) that I won't even TRY to land on at night without a VASI or PAPI. Power lines on short final and the PAPI is out? Forget it, I'll land downwind if necessary, or go somewhere else.

Same here, but there are also many runways (mostly at rural, uncontrolled fields) that I won't even TRY to land on at night without a VASI or PAPI. Power lines on short final and the PAPI is out? Forget it, I'll land downwind if necessary, or go somewhere else.

Yep.

Came in one night with a Bonanza -- very dark, overcast, and very windy and rough. Runway 5 is LOC and has a PAPI -- 30 degree crab and I'm still being blown off course. So I went around for runway 14 (into the wind).

PAPI is OTS INDEF at KVVS. There's also a nice big ridge just east of the field.

I was very tempted to fly it down ("That looks about right...) -- but it's a classic black hole approach with a runway surrounded by trees, no lights on the ground before the airport, and fairly low intensity runway lights.

So I reminded myself to hold it up until I could see paint on the runway.

Once I saw those numbers I dove for the runway, applied full flaps, and landed fine.

But I logged that as a "I did that once but won't do it again" moment.

:no:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back