Night Photo N/A

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
. . . . . . on my way home from theater rehearsal the other night. This is about 6.5sm from my house. As a size reference, the ships are probably somewhere over 500' long. (And that #10 crane is a big one)

HR

Attachments

• BIW Night Shot #1.jpg
    BIW Night Shot #1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
. . . . . . on my way home from theater rehearsal the other night. This is about 6.5sm from my house. As a size reference, the ship is probably somewhere over 500' long. (And that #10 crane is a big one)

HR

Very nice. Here's a night shot I took some time ago...

61vztj7.jpg

. . . . . . on my way home from theater rehearsal the other night. This is about 6.5sm from my house. As a size reference, the ships are probably somewhere over 500' long. (And that #10 crane is a big one)

HR

Awfully low, aren't ya?

Awfully low, aren't ya?

For lack of a tripod I stabilized the camera on the superstructure of the bridge which goes from the Town of Woolwich to Arrowsic Island.
The shipyard is Bath Iron Works(Div. of General Dynamics), builder of USN ships.

HR

My photo is of Comet Hyakutaki taken with a Minolta SLR on Kodak Gold 1000.
The camera was mounted on a tangent arm platform that I built for taking night sky photos during the Halley's Comet apparition in 1984-85. It was a 4 minute exposure.

My photo is of Comet Hyakutaki taken with a Minolta SLR on Kodak Gold 1000.
The camera was mounted on a tangent arm platform that I built for taking night sky photos during the Halley's Comet apparition in 1984-85. It was a 4 minute exposure.

What film speed is that?? That's impressive clarity for that long of an exposure.

For lack of a tripod I stabilized the camera on the superstructure of the bridge which goes from the Town of Woolwich to Arrowsic Island.
The shipyard is Bath Iron Works(Div. of General Dynamics), builder of USN ships.

HR

I heard that the USN considers Bath (ME) one of their best ship builders, because it is or was a family business, and they demanded perfection.

I heard that the USN considers Bath (ME) one of their best ship builders, because it is or was a family business, and they demanded perfection.

The history is grand; our pride is great; and it's known that a Bath ship commands universally high respect.

:eek:)

Both are beautiful pictures!

I got an ok night picture, steadying the camera on the guardrail of the riverwalk.

Attachments

• DSCF1279.JPG
    DSCF1279.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
What film speed is that?? That's impressive clarity for that long of an exposure.

Thanks. the film speed was asa 1000. I built the tangent arm platform myself just for taking astro photos. The one I built is only slightly different than the one linked to. Mine has a straight drive screw that limits exposure to about 12 minutes before significant tracking error becomes evident. Mine has a red LED light on the bottom so I can see my watch for more accurately driving the tracker. I also mounted the polar finder scope near the hinge axis. That makes it easier to get an accurate alignment on Polaris. I used this mount to photograph Halley's Comet beginning in late November of '84, until it passed from sight behind the sun in March of '85. Then again after it reappeared until June when it was so far out in it's orbit that it just large enough to show up on film as anything other than a pinpoint of light.

Thanks. the film speed was asa 1000. I built the tangent arm platform myself just for taking astro photos. The one I built is only slightly different than the one linked to. Mine has a straight drive screw that limits exposure to about 12 minutes before significant tracking error becomes evident. Mine has a red LED light on the bottom so I can see my watch for more accurately driving the tracker. I also mounted the polar finder scope near the hinge axis. That makes it easier to get an accurate alignment on Polaris. I used this mount to photograph Halley's Comet beginning in late November of '84, until it passed from sight behind the sun in March of '85. Then again after it reappeared until June when it was so far out in it's orbit that it just large enough to show up on film as anything other than a pinpoint of light.

That's incredible, I've never seen something like that except at planitariums. Such a simple aparatus for such a complex problem. Do you shoot to real film or digital?

That's incredible, I've never seen something like that except at planitariums. Such a simple aparatus for such a complex problem. Do you shoot to real film or digital?

I use film. I've got a little Sony Cybershot just for snap shots. I haven't done any photography like that in a long time actually. My "astronomy buddy" at work is now on a different shift than I am, so I don't get out much these days. But the next comet that comes around, I'll be dragging it out again for sure. The drawback is that with so much light pollution these days, I have to drive halfway across the state almost to get where I can take long exposures.

Oh BTW, for a size reference, that photo was taken with a standard 50mm lens. I don't recall exactly how big the field of view is with a 50mm, but I know that it's big enough so the the moon shows up as barely bigger than a dot.

Back