Night ILS Down to Minimums

jdfrey1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Frey
I don’t know if words can express my feelings right now but I feel like I need to capture them the best way that I can. Today was a beautiful day and the weather forecast was perfect for flying. A friend of mine – Jeff P. – who I used to fly with here in Champaign let me know he would be coming back in town and we decided to pick up where we left off and fly to someplace where we could go to a Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner. For some reason this has kind of become a trend as I’ve flown to quite a few destinations just to go to a “BDubs” for dinner. Jeff also introduced me to another Jeff (Jeff B.) last year so he came a long with us. Both of these Jeffs are University of Illinois graduates and CFII’s. Jeff P. just started with American Eagle a few months ago and has recently completed his ERJ training. He flies his first passenger flight on Sunday! Try to keep up with all the Jeffs in this. It was kind of interesting to have 3 Jeffs in the plane at one time!

So Jeff P. flew into Champaign on a commercial flight around 5 PM. Both he and Jeff B. immediately drove over and met me at the hangar where I had already had the plane pre-flighted and ready to go. We talked about the weather a bit and I commented that the temperature/dewpoint spread looked like it would get close but the TAF wasn’t calling for reduced visibility until after 1 AM. It was pretty clear and well above freezing with hardly any wind so we decided to take off. Our destination was Springfield, IL (KSPI). This would be my first trip to Springfield. I had filed IFR and we had a very nice, uneventful flight there and an excellent landing (if I must say so myself). We had a great dinner and had good discussion through the whole dinner. As soon as we walked out the door though all three of us noticed a ‘mist’ in the air. I think we all pulled our phones out at once and checked the weather and Springfield was reporting 8 miles visibility and clear but Champaign was reporting overcast a 400′ and 4 miles visibility with mist. We discussed our options and there is an airport about halfway in Decatur, IL (KDEC) that was reporting clear and 5 miles visibility so we decided to start heading back and keeping this as our “out”. The whole way back was very clear and we could see the ground. As we approached Champaign we received a report from a plane that just landed that they saw the approach lights at about 300′ AGL and the METAR was reporting 2.5 miles visibility. We could see the layer but it was well below us. We all discussed the plan and I felt comfortable taking a shot at the ILS. If we went missed we wouldn’t try again and just head for Decatur where we’d call someone to come pick us up.

Everything was looking good. We were on the final approach course ILS32R and I was ready to concentrate on the approach. I asked both CFIIs in the plane to please point out if they saw any large deviations. A commercial jet was cleared for the approach just ahead of us and when they were on the ground they reported entering the muck around 1500′ (750 AGL) and seeing the runway lights around 1000′. The ILS DH is only 950′! This would be a true test of my skills but I was very confident as I’ve practiced this many times and I’ve remained current and proficient. As we intercepted the glideslope I reduced power and started to follow the glideslope in. I used the autopilot to help me stay on the localizer and to reduce the workload so I could really concentrate on the glideslope. I was doing well following it in but I found myself fixating a bit on the glideslope and I noticed that was doing about 110 knots. I pulled back power and the nose up a bit to slow down which caused me to be a little high on the glideslope. I quickly corrected and then at about 1000′ (250′ AGL) I saw the approach lights pop out of nowhere. It was an awesome feeling and I honestly didn’t expect them as close as they were but I was elated to see them! I was just about ready to go missed and then I saw them. The other 2 Jeffs in the plane reminded me that I still needed to fly the plane and land it which I did with another smooth landing.

In looking back on this situation I am very happy that I was able to experience this. I believe we managed the risk very well and always had a plan and an “out”. The temperatures were well above freezing as even at our cruise at 5000′ we were seeing temperatures a few degrees above freezing so this wasn’t a factor. I made one mistake of fixating on the glideslope and not paying as much attention to airspeed as I should and I shouldn’t have tried to over correct when I did. I had plenty of runway and should have gradually slowed down rather than trying to get to 90 knots immediately. I didn’t expect to fly an actual ILS approach to minimums tonight but I feel that I was well prepared for it. Many thanks to my instrument instructor – Frank Dorrin – for preparing me for this day and for all of the other safety pilots and instructors who I have worked with in remaining proficient. Thank you Jeff B. & Jeff P. for joining me on this adventure!

Very nice writeup! There's nothing like doing the instrument stuff "for real". The feeling of "wow this stuff really works" is incredible.

Some folks don't believe it when you tell them your first approach to mins on an ILS is as cool as your first solo...

:yesnod:

I'm well past my first one, and it hasn't gotten any less cool. :)

I'm well past my first one, and it hasn't gotten any less cool. :)

I was working at an internet startup and took my boss up to Teterboro in a C206. By the time we got there it was 3/4 SM in snow, with ceilings right above minimums.

Coming down in the snow and popping out of the clouds was the coolest thing he'd ever seen - had the whole "transition to lightspeed" effect from the snow AND the rabbit and the rest of the ALS.

Some folks don't believe it when you tell them your first approach to mins on an ILS is as cool as your first solo...

:yesnod:
Those who have been there sure know!

My first night ILS to mins was literally the flight home from my PP checkride (CFII onboard of course!).

Seeing the ALS for 23 at PVD appear about 100' from DH was one of the greatest feelings I have had in flying.

I never did it for real however I've done quite a few ILS/NDB approaches to minimums under the hood with some good instructors day and night and even then it's almost as cool as the first solo.

You're out in the middle of the sky. Then start maneuvering to get to the approach. Suddenly the entire world goes click and you can see everything in your head as if you didn't have the hood on. Then at some point close to the ground the instructor reaches over and flips the hood up. You look up and all you see is the short final approach. It's frigging magic. It never ceases to amaze me how such a routine thing in the flying world can be so far removed from normal people that they simply can't understand the concept or it's significance at all.

If you have ever seen the movie "High & the Mighty" I couldn't help but think of the scene at the end where they break out on the ILS to SFO and John Wayne utters line 'now I lay me down to sleep". Just pure bliss.

I was worried where you might be going with the thread title and story, but when I read through to the end I understood it was a happy ending.

Cool story!

It's one thing to know at you can do it- and another thing entirely to execute!

Well done!

Ya the satisfaction of seeing the lights at minimums after flying a difficult approach in adverse weather never goes away.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Even though this flight was two days ago I'm still on a high.

I did one last thrusday on mman, but I broke out 100 above mins. Same conditions, stable atmosphere, misty, and at night. However, I topped off the tanks just in case I had to divert. If you know the area and have outs, it makes it easier.

Very nice writeup! There's nothing like doing the instrument stuff "for real". The feeling of "wow this stuff really works" is incredible.
I remember watching a few of Frank Holbert's videos showing an approach from clear on top, through the clouds, and popping out underneath with the runway dead ahead. For a new(er) pilot like me, it's amazing to watch that occur.

Wow. Yeah. I can't wait.

I thought it was magical last Saturday when we flew in day IMC and I did everything all the way on that first flight and approach, and when we popped out from under at about 900 AGL and I was right there on final approach with the runway ahead... and realized my CFII hadn't said a darn thing the whole while.

What you're describing sounds absolutely incredible.

I did not do a ils to minimums but near it. I had just done a IPC and for the first time did some of it in actual and several days later went to fly to Islip, NY. I was going to cancel IFR because it was clear at home airport but decided to stay with the IFR, mostly as I would have had to file a ADIZ flight plan anyway. So abut half way up to NY my 3500 foot forecast ceilings turns into 2000 overcast so I'm IMC for the rest of the way. AS I'm being vectored around for the ILS into Islip the AWOS is saying 1800 foot ceiling and the controller tells me as I start down from the FAF that the last guy broke out at 400 feet. I gulp a little bit but feel somewhat committed at this point. I did break out at 400 and every light on the field was turned on and I was very happy to see that this stuff really does work and there was the runway exactly where my instruments said it would be. It was a great moment in aviation at least for me :)

It's one thing to know at you can do it- and another thing entirely to execute!

Well done!

:yeahthat:

Absolutely!!!! and until the first time you do it, you're not REALLY sure you can...you've been trained to do it, and hopefully stay proficient to do it, but the adrenaline really gets going when you've made the committment to fly that approach.

It never gets old :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back