night flight!

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
went up again tonight. slow flight practice. did REALLY well - stayed right on altitude the whole time. back up to par with the radios (just ADIZ procedures and no tower) and my night landings are, like last summer, better than my day ones. either it's the smooth air or it's the fact that I can't see the ground!

it's funny, the first time I took a long hiatus was right after my eye surgery 2 years ago. when I went back up I was AWFUL. just awful. couldn't remember anything, waddled all over the airspace, just awful. each time I've had my breaks now I am retaining quite a bit which is great. I hope the weather stays this nice from here on in. I've had two fabulous days for flying this week already.

next up - Sunday afternoon!

way to go Beth! soon your gonna have to come back out here and take me for a ride!!
I remember back in my training days, my night landing were always better than my day landings. now however, the runway always seems to sneak up and smack me when i feel i am still 10 feet off the ground..

not sure about blackhole effect - can you get that on the east coast? haha

Michael - deal! we're most likely going to be back out again next December... I durn well better have my PPL by then.

Kent - thanks! let's hope it isn't just "beginner's luck" I felt really good up there!

Great progress, Beth. Confidence is half the battle.

I also found night landings to be a lot better than day landings.

Betcha I know of a few places in easy flying distance from you that can give you the black hole effect.:eek:

woodstock said:
went up again tonight. slow flight practice. did REALLY well - stayed right on altitude the whole time. back up to par with the radios (just ADIZ procedures and no tower) and my night landings are, like last summer, better than my day ones. either it's the smooth air or it's the fact that I can't see the ground!

it's funny, the first time I took a long hiatus was right after my eye surgery 2 years ago. when I went back up I was AWFUL. just awful. couldn't remember anything, waddled all over the airspace, just awful. each time I've had my breaks now I am retaining quite a bit which is great. I hope the weather stays this nice from here on in. I've had two fabulous days for flying this week already.

That's great. I was up this afternoon. I'm doing a big (700 mile) X-C next week.

Elizabeth: that's great! I love night flight - it is so peaceful and beautiful with the city lights and whatnot.

I still fly at night as often as possible. Its just so much better, and smooth.

woodstock said:
I've had two fabulous days for flying this week already.

Keep at it Beth, finish up!!!!!!:yes:

Enjoy. I love night flying. A lot less people up there and you can see them from far away. There are additional hazards that need to be understood and dealt with. At this rate you will be done in no time.

Nothing like night flight, IMO. Good on 'ya for doing a lot of training at night. I did the minimum, and wish I had done more. In fact, I just re-upped my night currency this week. I love being up at night on the east coast. Less haze, no turbulence, less traffic, quiet radios and beautiful views in any direction! Good stuff.

Jim G

night flying is the best. given my work sched, an awful lot of my training IS night flight. last fall it was more than half at night... and this spring will likely be the same.

woodstock said:
night flying is the best. given my work sched, an awful lot of my training IS night flight. last fall it was more than half at night... and this spring will likely be the same.

I did most of my instrument training at night. I also got to do my checkride at night and it was great fun.

my CFI joked that he's going to have my checkride at night, since my landings are a lot better then.

Back