Nice surprise!

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I pull into the FBO parking lot last evening, and there on the ramp was the Liberty Belle B-17 with four turning. They had just finished a flight and I watched them taxi the plane to the tiedown. Sounded great, looked great.

After they shutdown, I walked all around this mighty old bird, too bad I didn't have my camera along. Beth, is this the same one you rode in? Too bad I already have Saturday obligations, or I'd be trying to schedule a flight.

http://www.libertyfoundation.org/index.php

It was at RYY this past weekend, I didn't get a chance to get over to that side of the airport to see it up close, but it was great to watch it fly all weekend.

Wow, very cool! There is a P-51 based at my home field (CRG) and once during training, we were returning from the practise area and Sizzlin Liz was at the hold short line for runway 5 waiting for me to land. Talk about pressure to make a pretty one! Luckily, I managed a pretty good landing.

Last edited:
Oooh, drool! That's something you won't forget very soon, pictures or no pictures!

terry

terzap said:
Oooh, drool! That's something you won't forget very soon, pictures or no pictures!

Walking around under that massive wing, looking at the huge main gear, those large radials, what a sight.

And to top it off, I got to closely examine (and sit in the cockpit) of a nice T-28 that was at GAD Saturday. That fellow gave me his card, and is a CFII and said he gives 45min rides for $100, and we could do any acro we wanted, etc. Seriously considering going for a ride.

Bill Jennings said:
Walking around under that massive wing, looking at the huge main gear, those large radials, what a sight.

And to top it off, I got to closely examine (and sit in the cockpit) of a nice T-28 that was at GAD Saturday. That fellow gave me his card, and is a CFII and said he gives 45min rides for $100, and we could do any acro we wanted, etc. Seriously considering going for a ride.

For $100 that's a deal! Go for it!

Missa

Bill Jennings said:

For $100 I would be all over that like a hungry hound dog on a pork chop! :D

hey Bill!

the one I went on, was from the Collings Foundation. let's see if I have photos here.

I was lucky enough to be in the pattern behind Sentimental Journey, a B-17. The timing was perfect. I was about 3 miles out, on a 45 for left downwind, runway 25 at Troutdale, OR. Tower advised me of a Boeing 17 flying upwind about to turn crosswind, report traffic in sight. Well, my friends, it was fairly simple to spot this huge piece of fabric and aluminum roaring towards me. It totally filled up my windscreen. And then to watch it turn downwind in front of is something I'll remember forever. Just seeing the huge underside of this 4-engine prop job rumble across from left to right. As I turned in behind him, I was reminded of the movie Memphis Belle, when they called the fighters that were on their side, little friends. I was a little friend for just a moment. Wow, so cool.

They made a pretty long downwind and a wide turn to final, consequently, my downwind leg was much longer than usual. Fianlly, I turned base and then final about 3 miles out. I was cleared to land, number two, traffic is a B-17 on short final. I wonder if I'll ever hear those words again?

SkykingC310 said:
I was cleared to land, number two, traffic is a B-17 on short final. I wonder if I'll ever hear those words again?

Wonderful!

Back