Nice of all these people to show up!

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
This weekend I had a really cool experience happen completely out of the blue! It just so happened to coincide with me passing the 200 hour mark!

I went flying early Saturday morning and reuturned into Brookhaven, KHWV at around 930am. I listened to the weather and the winds favored 33-- but everyone was landing 24. Ok, no big deal, but I was a little suspicious. When I got closer, I saw the pattern was a beehive with about 4 planes going around. Nothing that strange, but still a little out of the ordinary. I filed my way into the pattern and set up for a landing and I noticed there were a bunch of people in yellow vests standing along side the runway-- ok this is not normal but I thought, maybe they were about to start a construction project. I also noticed there are lines on the runway and, what appears to be, a target landing zone. I then think to myself, "hmm,what is going on here??" I landed in the target zone, not in the perfect center but maybe 75 feet past it, roll out, look to my right and notice at least 500 people standing off to the right by the tie downs all wearing yellow vests. My curiosity is peaked so I taxi on in and tie down and immediately ask the women at the FBO what is going on out there. She tells me, the NIFA ( the National Intercollegiate Flight Association) is having there yearly competition. So I landed right as they were about to start their landing challenge!

So I'd like to thank those 500 or so people who came out to watch me land and help me celebrate my 200th hour of flying on Saturday Morning! Sure, some were there for the national competition.... But probably only a few! :)

Last edited:
"the National Intercollegiate Flight Association) is having there yearly competition."
Auto correct again making an inappropriate assumption?

:eek:)

How did you place in the competition. We gotta know!

David

I have no idea. I was not in the contest but I was pretty happy that I lande in the zone!

Back