Nice flying evening

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
Got a plane scheduled this evening- a mighty C-150. It will be nice to get in the air...it has been a demanding day. You'd think sales reps would read the literature we send them?

Drive to the airport and notice a Cessna flying downwind. turns out to be Tristan with a student. The plan is already outside, low on fuel...call the fuel truck and do the pre-flight. Check the fuel after checking the plane. Wind is variable, but a crosswind up to ~10 knots...perfect.

I'm a little rusty...good thing I'm referring to the check list- almost forgot to check the controls...hold short of 17 for a Piaggio Avanti and some sort of business jet with Air Force markings. Get into the air...there's a line of large cumulus clouds but they are over Kansas...and I'm not going there today.

First landing...Ok but I can do much better. Take off- tower will call my crosswind and downwind. The United jet comes in from somewhere,is going to Chicago and got some wx info from Tower. There's another Cessna in landing and Duke 1234 want touch & goes. I get a tour of Lincoln while Tower sorts out traffic. I throttle back a little bit and dial in some trim...flying slightly nose up, I feel like the Almighty let me sit in his lounge chair for a bit to look at the capital building.

Next circuit...I get a look at Duke 1234- that's no beech Duke- that's a T-38...wonder what squadron has AN on their tail? He's doing circuits on the parallel runway. He's flying a larger pattern since we land and take off the same time the next few circuits.

Landings keep improving...finally, time to call it a day. Park the plane, secure it, and silently thank it for a nice flight...

Could that "AN" have been a "VN" ?

Duke is the callsign for -38's based at Vance AFB.

Back