Nice Article, Ron

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I just got my November issue of Sport Aviation and read a great article about the Arlington fly-in. It wasn't until I got to the end that I realized it was written and photographed by our own Ron Wanttaja, as his fabulous picture on the first page of the article kind of drew my eyes away from the byline.

Nice work, Ron! :yes:

I just got my November issue of Sport Aviation and read a great article about the Arlington fly-in. It wasn't until I got to the end that I realized it was written and photographed by our own Ron Wanttaja, as his fabulous picture on the first page of the article kind of drew my eyes away from the byline.

Nice work, Ron! :yes:

Well done Ron! Thanks.

Thanks, all. Haven't seen it yet, so I don't know what picture they led off with. Might not even be one of mine, since the magazine had planned to use some of the shots the fly-in staff did.

I didn't even submit my favorite shot from the fly-in. It was shot straight-on into a polished Swift...not that rare of an image, but how many do you see where the photographer isn't visible? I managed to "retract" most of my appendages into the Swift logo, with only my Panama hat visible just above the "The".

arl08.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks, all. Haven't seen it yet, so I don't know what picture they led off with. Might not even be one of mine, since the magazine had planned to use some of the shots the fly-in staff did.

I didn't even submit my favorite shot from the fly-in. It was shot straight-on into a polished Swift...not that rare of an image, but how many do you see where the photographer isn't visible? I managed to "retract" most of my appendages into the Swift logo, with only my Panama hat visible just above the "The".

arl08.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Ron, yer working too hard. Learn Photoshop. :devil:

arl08.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Oh, DROOL! Don't s'pose you got any other pictures of it... ?

Nice shot, BTW.

The pic they used for the beginning of the article shows a yellow and red RV with its canopy open in the foreground, two planes (red and white, can't ID much more than that!) in formation looking like they might be turning base to final, lots of planes parked everywhere (including a nice polished Swift on the left) with a bunch of trees and a snow-covered mountain in the background.

Oh, DROOL! Don't s'pose you got any other pictures of it... ?
Sorry, just the same thing at a different angle. I walked by,went, "Oooo, shiny" and started shooting the logo on the nose. I've got a "thing" for nose/tail art.

The pic they used for the beginning of the article shows a yellow and red RV with its canopy open in the foreground, two planes (red and white, can't ID much more than that!) in formation looking like they might be turning base to final, lots of planes parked everywhere (including a nice polished Swift on the left) with a bunch of trees and a snow-covered mountain in the background.

I will have to modestly kick pebbles, it was one of mine.

arl08-2.jpg

The two planes in the background are a pair of Yaks being flown by Bud Granley and his son during the airshow. I was half surprised that the magazine folks picked this one to lead the article off, since the Yaks are pretty tiny. But when they blew it up to two-page size, there was a surprising amount of detail.

You wanna bet there's going to be one HAPPY RV owner, when he gets his issue this month? :)

It was shot with my Canon Rebel XTI (10 Megapixel) with a shutter speed of 1/320th of a second, F14, ISO 200, Canon EF-S 18-55 mm lens set to a focal length of 49mm. I had the camera set to evaluative metering.

Ron Wanttaja

I didn't even submit my favorite shot from the fly-in. It was shot straight-on into a polished Swift...not that rare of an image, but how many do you see where the photographer isn't visible?
Wow...great shot! Nice article too. :)

Yup, just got my copy and that's a great article, great stories, and great pictures! Nice job, Ron. Did you write the article "on spec", or did you get a commission to write the article before the event? I love the detail you had on the people behind the aircraft, and their stories. I know you had fun at the event, gathering all that detail!

Yup, just got my copy and that's a great article, great stories, and great pictures! Nice job, Ron. Did you write the article "on spec", or did you get a commission to write the article before the event? I love the detail you had on the people behind the aircraft, and their stories. I know you had fun at the event, gathering all that detail!

I'm a freelancer, so technically everything I do is "on spec." However, when you've worked with certain editors for years, there's a pretty good certainty they're going to use the article. So it's not just blindly throwing something over the transom.

In this case, I was asked to cover the Fly-In for Sport Aviation, so I was on assignment. This makes it easier in several ways; it's more effective to be able to say "Covering the Fly-In for XXXX magazine" than "I'm a freelancer, someday what I write might get published."

Pay for Kitplanes and the EAA magazine articles is on publication, though the invoice for author payment at EAA goes in fairly early (I got the check for this one about a month and a half ago). I try to write enough so that my article payments and book royalties cover the expenses of my airplane... it minimizes the guilt when writing that hangar rent check every month. :wink2:

I'm glad you liked the emphasis on people, 'cause that's what I *like* to write about. There's a story behind every homebuilt (or classic restoration); just because a trophy didn't result doesn't mean the story isn't worth telling.

I actually prefer NOT to having to do an article staring me in the face, when I go to a Fly-In. I covered the Arlington Fly-In for about eight years straight for Kitplanes, and prefer to just sit back and relax at fly-ins rather than flitter about trying to ensure I've got enough material and photos for a good story. So normally, I turn such assignments down. But the editor called me just a couple of days before the show started, and was obviously in a bind.

I'm the type who CANNOT read my own writing when it's published, so I appreciate the feedback here.

Anybody who wants more details on writing for aviation publications should check out my Avwriter's Primer.

Ron Wanttaja

Back